Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sinthetic
    • Aug 2005

still no luck with web hosting

everytime I ask this board if a web host is good they always have something to complain about for example, namesecure.com godaddy.com

I dont know **** about web hosting and domain, it looks like I need a web host and a domain, I thought they were the same thing? please explain.

I say we start a sticky post with the number one web hoster to end this ultimate question! maybe a list of the top ten. or a web host specificlly designed to work with vB.

Ive had my leased license since november and still not used it due to bunk web hosts, please point me to the right web host
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

I'll give you a few options you can check out that generally come highly recommended.

aperfectorange.com
    surpasshosting
    10for10.com (who I am with)

As for domains: www.godaddy.com or www.namecheap.com
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• sinthetic
      • Aug 2005

I have to buy a web host and domain? why?

Comment

• KingSpade
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.5.x

A web host only provides hosting for your files and your website in general, in order to access those files you need a domain name.

Hosts can provide a longer user such as http://servername.webhost.com/~yourusername/ but if you are serious about your website, you need a domain name as well.

ASO provides hosting for your website, godaddy and namecheap provide registration for your domain name.

Comment

• HeyJeeB
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by sinthetic
          I have to buy a web host and domain? why?
          If you would like to have your own website you must first register a domain with a domain registrar such as www.godaddy.com. It doesn't cost too much but GoDaddy will try and sell you a lot of extras through the checkout process!

You then need somewhere to point your domain to, preferably the server with your files on This is why you need a webhost - somewhere for you to upload your files to so they can be accessed 24/7 via the internet.

Think of it as a virtual apartment for your website. You need to rent some space for your site to 'live'.

Comment

• Kimmi
            • Jan 2006

I use personalsite.org i have used then for along time.(3 years) they have very little down. i normally get a fast responce when i need help. i and i have my domain for 1 board threw him (but its 14.95 a year) my other domains. are 6.95 a year threw hostway

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...