• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lizard King
    Banned
    • Mar 2004
    • 3.6.x

Looking for a dedicated

I have my hosting at asmallorange.com and i love their support and everything but my site cannot handle a shared hosting anymore. I believe it is time for me to move on a dedicated server.
    I have a budget between 80-125$ for each month. My main 2 concerns are support and liability.
    I have couple major hacks installed on my board which maybe effective also.
    vbadvanced cmps , vbseo , photopost vbgallery , geek article system , geek auto link and etc.

I start searcing around but i know every hosting company calls them perfect company The best way to find a good hosting is asking friends.

I found a company called Sevstra which has affordable plans. Does any one have ever worked with them or have any idea of their support and liability ?
    Can you recommend me any other company ?

Thanks in advance
  • encryption
    • May 2005

what exactly do you mean when you say "support and liability" ? The only person who will be liable for what you have on your dedicated server is you.

If you know how to manage your server then you should be fine, it's easy to get an unmanaged server in that price-range. Check out WebHostingTalk's specials forum on great deals for servers.

If you can't manage your server, then thats where it will get a little expensive. Most companies will charge you about $50 - $100 / month for managing your server for you.

- K
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• Joshs
      • Jan 2001

$125/month can get you a good unmanaged entry level server. What power do you need? How many currently active users on average, traffic stats, etc?

I recommend that you consider The Planet / Server Matrix.

Comment

• RandomLove
        • Aug 2002

Hi,
        Try http://www.cari.net they have very good entry level machines. One bad thing about them that they charge $1/month for each domain you host DNS with them. Today most registerars can host your DNS.

Regards

Comment

• NetRover
          • Jul 2004

I find this one interesting and hope for some good advice options here, as I am also on ASO. I had posted elsewhere about my database connection erros and it appears I have an answer from my host.

I'm on a large plan and my board has over 100 users at one time and have been told 50 is maximum for my plan and I would really be best suited for a dedicated server.

I wonder how easy it is to move and would I need to look for another cpanel to make it easy for a novice like me?

What would be a good starter spec for say 100 to 200 users?

What is involved in managing yourself as I am also on a limited budget but also a novice so need ease of future use and transfer.

thanks for any advice, most appreciated.

Comment

• encryption
            • May 2005

if you post your budget in here, I can post you specs of machines you can find. While I know you can easily find cheaper options out there, remember the golden rule of WebHosting.... you pay peanuts, you get monkeys....

having said that... for you to run your machine effectively..... with 100 - 200 members online, you can easily start off with a 2.8 ghz P4 with HT enabled, 1 gb ram (minimum - cron and other tasks in the background will bring your server to its knees otherwise), 40 gb (or higher if you choose) hard drive. Umanaged, that server will run you about $150 - $175 (setup fees as applicable) from a "dependable" datacenter.

Comment

• NetRover
              • Jul 2004

Hi there, thanks for the reply with info and advice.

I'm not sure if I would have the skills for moving around to different hosts but the spec I have been offered sounds close to what you are recommending me.

This spec and prise is for ASO who I am with at the moment.

2.8Ghz Pentium 4 1024MB 80GB 1200GB $260 per month Sold Out!

Comment

• encryption
                • May 2005

if you are good with managing your own server, I would recommend doing a search on webhositngtalk.com for a cheaper deal. I'm sure you would get a more powerful machine for that much money

Comment

• eRmia
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Thanks guys for your help!

Comment

• encryption
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by eRmia
                    Thanks guys for your help!
                    So who did you go with ? Please share your experience with us

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                      • Oct 2002
                      • 3.7.x

Yes indeed... I am most interested too as I am now looking for a dedicated solution.
                      John

Comment

• Premium Domains
                        • Feb 2006

My personal experience with Servstra has been horrible! I had bought a Dedicated server from them hosted at LT. I paid them $235/ month for the Dual Xeon's and also bought their additional Security package at $84.

My server has since been crashing repeatedly. I have had over 5 server reboots in the last week alone. I have had less than 80% uptime against their so called 99.99% uptime 'guarantee'. They have swapped my server chassis twice till now, but their Support guys are still unable to find why my server keeps on crashing. Their Support is absolutely inefficient and is outsourced to an Indian company.

Servstra's CTO - Chris Johnson, who I have been in touch with during this entire episode, is not prepared to refund my money inspite of knowing what is happening citing his so called 'Service Agreement'.

Their SLA mentions that they will give 1 day of free hosting for every 1 hour
                        of downtime. By that yardstick they would have to give me 1 YEAR of free
                        hosting by now considering my server downtime!

All in all, I would advise everybody - Stay away from Servstra / Hostworkz!

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                          • Sep 2001

Ive had excellent service with simpli.biz
                          They've been quick to help us out when needed and they have great SLA's that I havent had to use
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

For what it costs to rent a dedicated server per month, you could upgrade to a really fast connection speed for cheaper and get a dedicated IP, and buy another PC and run it as a dedicated server from home.

How comes more people don't go with that option instead. And just run there own dedicated server on a second machine thats only used to host there board only. So you don't have to rely on other peoples server uptime and it would work out cheaper also, plus it would give you more hardrive space etc. And if your ISP is not capped like mine. Bandwidth is not an issue either.
                            Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 20 Feb '06, 7:24am.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                              • Sep 2001

I explored that option but it would cost me significantly more to upgrade to a business class connection and I would still be facing upstream bandwidth constraints.
                              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...