Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doctor Swole
    • Jan 2006

Where to get my Domain....

Well I have decided (finally) to go with ASO as my host. I heard its better registering your Domain name with another site preferably not your hosting site. Whats a perfect place to register my Domain name? Thanks.
  • KingSpade
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.5.x

NameCheap.com is who I've always used, may wish to check them out. Alternatively, GoDaddy.com.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
      • Jul 2005
      • 3.8.x

I have to agree go namecheap.com I haven't had one problem yet

Comment

• hugh_
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

I've had good results with gandi.net...

hugh
        Please vote for my enhancement requests: 1, 2, 3 and 4...

Comment

• GraphicQueen
          • Jan 2006

i use bravenet, theyre the cheapest ive seen

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

I'd recommend (unofficially) namecheap.com

Comment

• Kimmi
              • Jan 2006

i have hostway 6.95 i have like 6 domains from them

Comment

• Eeep
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Doctor Swole
                I heard its better registering your Domain name with another site preferably not your hosting site.
                Just curious. What would be the reason for getting your domain name somwhere than from your host??

I noticed ASO wanted $10 a year. I suppose the others sites mentioned in this thread are cheaper... But there are sites like Lunarpages that offer free domain for life (if you sign up for a year)...

Comment

• NineToez
                  • Nov 2005
                  • 3.6.x

namecheap.com is $8.88/year; <referral link removed by floris> is just $5.99/year, and I haven't had an issue with them to date.
                  Last edited by Floris; Wed 11 Jan '06, 7:27pm.

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Eeep
                    Just curious. What would be the reason for getting your domain name somwhere than from your host??

I noticed ASO wanted $10 a year. I suppose the others sites mentioned in this thread are cheaper... But there are sites like Lunarpages that offer free domain for life (if you sign up for a year)...
                    If you change host you keep control over the domain. If for example there is a dispute and your account is suspended by the host, you can just p oint your domain to a new host and continue to run your site somewhere else and resolve the dispute in the mean time.

Comment

• KingSpade
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.5.x

As said above by Floris.

It's not that all hosts would keep your domain, although, there are a few that wouldn't turn it over. If you register it yourself, you save the hassle and the time and can simply point it elsewhere without another thought.

Comment

• Joshs
                        • Jan 2001

I like eNom.

Comment

• southernlady
                          • May 2005
                          • 4.0.x

Namecheap is also providing whoisguard free for a year with the purchase of your domain.

The reason you do NOT want to get the domain the same place as the hosting:

This has got to be one of the biggest scams going. If a hosting provider registers YOUR domain name for you, make certain that their information only appears as the technical contact at most and NEVER as the registrant. If a hosting provider has control over your domain, you are theirs for life and are held hostage.
                          To check the owner of a domain, go to WHOIS and type "domainname.com" or .net or .org etc and click the submit button. Whomever's name, address, email, and phone number shows up under 'Registrant' is the domain owner.
                          Liz
                          Secret City Designs

Comment

• KingSpade
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.5.x

Well, keep in mind, not all hosts will do this, however, a great deal of hosts do. I would not consider it as them holding your domain hostage or trying to force you into staying with only them, though many hosts offer a renewal of the domain and hence, since they are renewing it, their name stays on it.

Most hosts will switch the information, by request, it is simply that many users do not make the requests or do not know they can make a request to have the information changed and then later complain when they "attempt" to transfer or place in a transfer request.

Comment

• encryption
                              • May 2005

I agree, not all hosts do this, we definitely dont. If you're a professionally run webhosting business, you wouldn't ever need to stoop to such levels of "ball and chaining" your clients..... BS imo....

but then again for the novice clients, its good advise to "know" such hosts DO exist
                              www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                              www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment