Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted
    • Oct 2000

Where to host the Banner Server?

After finally finding a home for my vBulletin (1.3 million page views,35 GB bandwidth per month) I am now in search of a home for a host for my banner serving software. I cant host it at the same place, it would be just too expensive.

I am using WebAdverts for serving banners and I like it. But my first host told me to get rid of it (too demanding on the server). Now my second host is suffering from poor performace. The banners take too long to load. Could anyone recommend a place to simply host WebAdverts and serve about 1.3 million banners per month with it? Cost is an issue Thanks for any help.
  • etones
    • Sep 2000

u do realise that a forum such a yours needs a dedicated server anyway?!

1.3 mill impressions is a lot... u'll need some sort of dedicated box.. sorry to say it
    http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

• Ted
      • Oct 2000

Hi. I am not asking about the forums, but rather am seeking advise as to where to host my banner serving software (WebAdverts). My forum hosting is all taken care of and is working just fine.

Comment

• etones
        • Sep 2000

and as I said in my post... to serve 1.3 million ads a month, you'll need a decent dedicated server.
        http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

• wandrer
          • Apr 2000

and as I said in my post... to serve 1.3 million ads a month, you'll need a decent dedicated server.
          1.3 million per month is only 43K per day. You don't necessarily need a dedicated server for that few ads per day. 1.3 million per day, then that would be a different story.

Since you are using vBulletin, you should try out any one of the PHP/mySQL banner serving software as any of those could handle 10x what WebAdverts could handle.

<plug> For my comparison, visit: http://www.dot-banner.com/sections.p...rticle&artid=4 </plug>

Other URL's:

Comment

• Ted
            • Oct 2000

wandrer -

Actually I did purchase your dot-banner software and it never worked.

I must say you installed the software promptly and you were very responsive to the problems I experienced, but after 8 days of trying to get it functioning, and leaving paying sponsors without the banner ads they paid for, I had no choice but to purchase a competitor's product, which I installed myself, configured, and had it up and running in under 20 minutes.

Upon getting the other program running (webadverts), I sent one email to you asking if you would consider granting a refund to me considering the circumstances, and also stated I would understand completely if you did not want to oblige, but I never heard back, so I simply considered that a "no" and never brought it up again.

If you would be willing to once again start the troubleshooting process, I'd be willing to give your product another try, and since I have a banner server currently functioning and serving my sponsor's ads, I wouldnt really mind how long it dragged on. However, at this point it would also require a re-installation because the original install from 2/17/01 has been deleted from my server. Let me know if you would be willing.

etones -

Since your original post stated "a forum such a yours needs a dedicated server" I naturally thought you were referring to the forum. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Back to something wandrer stated...
            Since you are using vBulletin, you should try out any one of the PHP/mySQL banner serving software as any of those could handle 10x what WebAdverts could handle.
            By saying "any of those could handle 10x what WebAdverts could handle", I *assume* you mean handle 10x the ads at the same server load (or demand)?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

• wandrer
              • Apr 2000

By saying "any of those could handle 10x what WebAdverts could handle", I *assume* you mean handle 10x the ads at the same server load (or demand)?
              Yes. By not having to start another process to parse/execute the code as perl does, PHP (when compiled with apache) is quicker in being able to execute the code. It basically is the same thing that brings any perl program (UBB) to its knees when compared to a PHP program (vBulletin).

so I simply considered that a "no" and never brought it up again.
              Sometimes emails are missed. I apologize for that. Reply is on its way.

Comment

• roy7
                • Jan 2001

Yeah if you run any high volume perl programs, fastcgi (www.fastcgi.com) or mod_perl are essential. I use fastcgi heavily.

-Jonathan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...