specific php webhost requirements - please advise!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ilazarte
    • Nov 2005

specific php webhost requirements - please advise!

Hey guys,

I'm a little new to finding serious php hosting so if you can help out please do! Right now I'm with globat, ready to drop them like a ton of bricks.

I'm looking for the following
    php 5 and up
    mysql
    ability to install packages
    ability to manipulate file system from within php

I'm aware this probably drives the cost up. Any good suggestions based on experience?

Thanks in advance.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Most hosts are not ready to make the jump to php5 just yet as its still newer and it breaks alot of older scripts their clients might run.

Is there any specific reson you need php5?

Comment

• ilazarte
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Zachery
      Most hosts are not ready to make the jump to php5 just yet as its still newer and it breaks alot of older scripts their clients might run.

its not a hard requirement i guess. I was starting to write my own mini caching framework and it had some filesystem commands that were nice to haves that i think were 5 only. i'm aware though that i can mainpulate files in earlier versions. I guess the key element there is ability to write/read from file systems.

Comment

• David Gonzalez
        • Mar 2005

well probably you might want to try dreamhost.com you can do your own things etc etc

(you can install php5, upgrade mysql to latest version etc etc)

Comment

• Joshs
          • Jan 2001

My company just migrated all of our shared hosting servers to PHP 5 and MySQL 4.1 this past week. Over 1000 accounts and only a couple had issues. The issues were quickly resolved by the customers upgrading their scripts because they were seriously out of date.

We were extremely worried about the upgrade months ago, but after doing research and some testing, it was a go for the upgrade. The reason for the upgrade? Attractiveness to current and potential customers (cutting edge but stable for production use). Also, we had numerous requests for PHP5 over the past few months mainly due to developer's needs (OOP and Security advantages).

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

I said most There are still some things I'm waiting on before making the jump to php5, chances are I'll be waiting till 5.0.8+ before making the switch.

Comment

• Joshs
              • Jan 2001

I said most There are still some things I'm waiting on before making the jump to php5, chances are I'll be waiting till 5.0.8+ before making the switch.
              I was just sharing my company's experience.
              Last edited by Joshs; Sun 20 Nov '05, 12:05pm.

Comment

• bchertov
                • Nov 2004
                • 4.1.x

Well, 5.1.2 is out. Have you made the switch? I'm an just starting on customizing a vb 3.5 board and I'm considering use PHP 5. What do you reccomend?

Barry

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

No I haven't I want to make sure all of my clients will be ok with that, and also that cPanel supports it.

Comment

• bchertov
                    • Nov 2004
                    • 4.1.x

No I haven't I want to make sure all of my clients will be ok with that, and also that cPanel supports it.
                    Is there any reason that I shouldn't host my site on a server that is running PHP5 and do any development in PHP5?

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

If they run php5 thats good, just if you develop speciflcy for php5 you can only go to another php5 host.

Comment

• bchertov
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 4.1.x

If they run php5 thats good, just if you develop speciflcy for php5 you can only go to another php5 host.
                        Thanks!

Are there feature in PHP 5 that would come in handy for developing mods? All I know is I set out do something the other night and right off the bat I tried to use a function (date_default_timezone_set()) that is only supported in 5. I am new to PHP and I thought I might start with the current rev rather than going through another upgrade cycle. Any thoughts?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...