• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingmar
    • Jul 2005
    • 3.6.x

How much RAM do I need?

Hello everyone,

How much RAM should I get to start a new board on a VPS server? Would 256MB be enough and for how long? I hope the board will grow fast so should I go for 512MB instead? (eventually I will need more but by then I will upgrade to a dedicated server)

Right now I can get 512MB for a good deal but it is still more the 256MB of course.

Thanks in advance,
    Ingmar
    -
  • MaXxed
    • Jun 2002
    • 3.6.x

I have the same question, but I can offer more info (Ingmar I suggest you do the same).

1. Average number of concurrent users = 100-120
    2. Trends up to 250 users during peak times.
    3. Bursting to 475 users at the top end (once or twice a week for short periods)

I am also going to VPS (cant afford dedicated at this time) and looking for some guideance on RAM and even CPU requirements. The board is not post heavy, but view heavy. Cheers...

Comment

• rh2004
      • Jan 2004

If you can afford to go with extra RAM it would benefit you, however VPS's are easy to add extra RAM to. You may want to check out the prices of 256MB & the cost for the 512MB and if it is really not going to be used at the start go for the smaller amount and upgrade later, you'll get a better idea once your website is on the VPS.

MaXxed, that is rather a lot of users online you would need at least 512MB but it could struggle if you don't have a good burst rate on the VPS, remember everyone is sharing the VPS, so ideally as soon as you can afford to move to dedicated I would do so. Most VPS's have a limit on CPU but resources all differ you would need to contact the provider for details on CPU usage and bustable usage.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...