Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Gonzalez
    • Mar 2005

Tips while choosing a host

I was thinking of a thread to help people choose a host correctly before they go with the wrong hosting company.

I hope some people contribute in this thread. This should help a lot of users to look. ^_^

Tips

1) Before signing up to one of their plan look at webhostingtalk(or if there a testomonial here just go read it ) for testimonials and feedbacks

2) Be sure the host you are choosing to provide the 'basics', php, mysql, perl, etc.

3) Is very important that the host you are choosing provides GOOD SUPPORT. (Please don't choose new host sites that doesn't even know what they are touching).

4) Ask them about the mysql performance (I always ask that to see if their sql is powerful enough)

5) Google is your friend look for more testimonials about them (Thats because today I found out a host I was goign to sign up are unfair)

6) Be sure the company have been offering hosting for years, as I say in "3" sometimes new hosters doesn't even know what they are doing in their server or they just don't know how to provide support.

Added by CMilne
    7) Make sure your host wont kill you for using a little more system resources, as large vBulletin boards, or even medium ones can have an effect on the server, and if you have a nazy host, you never know when they might turn around and ban you.

Added by Shane
    8) Make sure that disk space and mysql space are defined clearly. Sometimes it's combined or seperate sizes.

ALWAYS read the terms of service!!!!!!!!!

Well thats all for now! ^_^,

Remember 1and1.com are evil! or so they say
    Last edited by David Gonzalez; Thu 2 Jun '05, 8:15am.
  • CMilne
    • Jun 2004

One thing you missed :P

ALWAYS make sure your host wont kill you for using a little more system resources, as large vBulletin boards, or even medium ones can have an effect on the server, and if you have a nazy host, you never know when they might turn around and ban you.

ALWAYS read the terms of service!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• David Gonzalez
      • Mar 2005

ay! *bangs head in the keyboard*
      *edit post*

Comment

• Shane
        • Oct 2000
        • 3.8.x

Make sure that disk space and mysql space are defeined clearly. Sometimes it's combined or seperate sizes.
        Shane
        CIO, FrakMedia.net
        Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

• David Gonzalez
          • Mar 2005

i kinda don't understand what you mean 0.o

Comment

• Shane
            • Oct 2000
            • 3.8.x

*sometimes* some host consider database sizes independtly than file size. Allows unlimited db size, but limit the # of files or any number of those combinations.
            Shane
            CIO, FrakMedia.net
            Director of Information, BattlestarForum.com

Comment

• David Gonzalez
              • Mar 2005

ah i think i understand now
              *adds in main*

Comment

• AlienSector
                • Oct 2004

The best option, when in doubt, is to contact the host and ask how large an individual MySQL database can be before you are charged for additional disk space usage.

I've used hosts that offer 100MB's before they "charge", while others monitor and include it with your actual space usage for files.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
                  • Oct 2002
                  • 3.7.x

Originally posted by AlienSector
                  I've used hosts that offer 100MB's before they "charge", while others monitor and include it with your actual space usage for files.
                  Yup - oneandone is one such host - though they don't charge you for having a larger MySQL db than 100MB... they simply won't let you have one bigger than 100MB... even if you have an account with several MySQL db's that are not used.

Be careful when selecting a webhost.
                  John

Comment

• David Gonzalez
                    • Mar 2005

yes but some host always combine it with the space offered, like shane said .

Comment

• AlienSector
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by David Gonzalez
                      yes but some host always combine it with the space offered, like shane said .
                      Some do, some don't and won't; best to ask before-hand and get the facts straight. Better to be safe than sorry later down the road when your website is flourishing.

Comment

• Joshs
                        • Jan 2001

Another tip is that you get what you pay for. I see so many hosts offering slews of storage and bandwidth for very little. They tend to dissapear and thats where many horror stories originate from.

Comment

• darkpowers
                          • Jul 2005

good tips

Those tips are really helpfull. Thank you for providing them.

Comment

• Ramiro S
                            • Apr 2003
                            • 3.6.x

More stuff for this thread

Great Thread!

More stuff:

Check not only the basic needs (PHP / MySQL) but the versions also. There are a bunch of hosting providers offering PHP... but PHP version 4.1.x or even 4.0.x... totally unsecure.

Pay real attention to the andwith and what the hosting provider will do if you exceed it. Some are real strict and they will cut you off showing an ugly Bandwith exceeded page... some others will charge you a fortune for the excess and some others are more flexible.

To check what other sites are hosted in the same IP (so you will see in a sahred hosting who else is outthere doing what) use this:

That is really helpfull if you have optimization and banning issues in mind.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...