Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pri]M[aL
    • Apr 2005

Godaddy or asmallorange?

I don't know which host to choose, can someone aid me by telling the pros and cons of each host? What good/bad experiences did you had with them?
  • Joseph777
    • Sep 2004

If you don't know a lot about technical stuff don't go with GoDaddy, because their support is non-existent at best and counterproductive at worst.

I can't get my site up right now because of DNS issues with them for over a week!

I actually had to buy a book to learn how to set up DNS on my virtual-dedicated...

Thanks to Steve M. for the suggestion though.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
      • May 2002
      • 1.1.x

As a host, don't use GoDaddy. Their domains are good, but their hosting is bad (from what I've heard, anyways).

GeekyDesigns is nice, though.
      Last edited by Matthew Gordon; Thu 19 May '05, 2:27pm.

Comment

• TheMusicMan
        • Oct 2002
        • 3.7.x

I am with ASO and have found them excellent in all aspects. My sites are always up, and their customer service is brilliant.
        John

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Below is a personal recommendation. Jelsoft does not recommend individual service providers

Go with A Small Orange... vBulletin has serious issues with the crippled versions of PHP on GoDaddy's servers.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Pri]M[aL
            • Apr 2005

That was my first choice although I don´t know what I am looking for...what specs should I look for? 10 gigas of bandwidth is enough? What about the monthly/anual price? Is it good or too expensive?

Comment

• TalkMilitary
              • Mar 2003

I would have to second what Wayne says here. Go with a web host for hosting, and a registrar for domains (as a general rule). A Small Orange seems to be a favorite choice right now.... so have a good look at them.

Go monthly until your are sure you are satisfied with your choice. Longer is a gamble, but with a *good* host can work out fine. That choice is up to you.
              Glenn

[QUOTE=Wayne Luke]Below is a personal recommendation. Jelsoft does not recommend individual service providers

Go with A Small Orange... vBulletin has serious issues with the crippled versions of PHP on GoDaddy's servers.[/QUTE]

Comment

• Mijae
                • Feb 2003

I too, recommend ASO. I've been with them since they started

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                  • Feb 2003

My domains are registered at GoDaddy and my site is hosted at A Small Orange.

I recommend the same configuration to anyone who asks. The last I checked, ASO's staff did the same.

Comment

• brisk_99
                    • Oct 2003

I have used GD in the past and I would not recommend anyone using them for hosting. I just got a ASO server for a test server and so far they are working fine. I was a little disappointed in ASO on how long it took them to send me the information for my server after I first purchased it but other than that I have not had any problems. On my main site I use theplanet and have always been extremely happy with them, but I am assuming you do not want a dedicated server.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

brisk you scared me there for a moment, you are talking about Godaddy right?

Comment

• brisk_99
                        • Oct 2003

Of course. I was just too lazy to type the entire thing. (Now I sit and wonder what you thought I meant. )

Comment

• hotrod1
                          • Apr 2005

Definetly go with Asmallorange.

Comment

• faelchon
                            • Jan 2003

I don't have any experience with either host, but I can recommend 123ehost.com. I've used them for almost 3 years now, and run both a vBulletin and another popular forum script with no problems. Packages are pretty inexpensive, and there is very little downtime (they advertise 99% uptime, but I've never checked...). My only criticism of them would be that there seems to be slow FTP and MySQL response at times, but other than that, all good.
                            No, I don't run or work for the company, and no this is not an ad. Just a company I've had a good experience with.
                            Last edited by faelchon; Mon 23 May '05, 1:23pm.

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by brisk_99
                              Of course. I was just too lazy to type the entire thing. (Now I sit and wonder what you thought I meant. )
                              My hosting company is GeekyDesigns, or for short GD

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...