Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keller45
    • May 2005

Geocities anyone??

Hello im new to the forums and currently I have an invision free forum. I was wondering if I create a board and buy the software can I just buy a domain name for it to work or do I have to buy a package with space ? If the the package what do you guys think of geocities? http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/wh1.php?d=1 I wwant to keep the price fairly cheap. Does each post take up room in a server? How does all this work?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Sorry but we do not provide hosting services. Also we do not make official recommendations regarding hosting companies. I suggest you view the vBulletin Hosting Options forum for advice from our customers:

Discuss PHP and MySQL hosting here. Find out which hosts people like, and which to stay well clear of.

Also checkout this site:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rh2004
      • Jan 2004

You would need to buy a domain, they are less than $10 per year and you would also need to buy
      web hosting. If I was you I would not purchase your web hosting from Yahoo!

I would suggest namecheap.com to purchase for your domain and seek your web hosting elsewhere.

Comment

• keller45
        • May 2005

Whats wrong with the web hosting with yahoo? What do u suggest for web hosting? What would be a good amount of space to have 2gb?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

If you use Yahoo, make sure you choose their Small Business plan and that they put you on a non-Windows server. Otherwise you may find that some normal PHP function required by vBulletin are disabled.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rh2004
            • Jan 2004

You can run a vB forum on under less than 100MB, until of course the database starts to get larger.

Comment

• keller45
              • May 2005

How many people will 100mb suppport?

Comment

• rh2004
                • Jan 2004

From the FAQ's

How much disk space do I need to run vBulletin?

With vBulletin there are 2 different types of disk space usage:
                • Web space - For the PHP scripts and images of vBulletin.
                • MySQL database space - Which is separate from Web space, and you need to make sure your host gives you enough space in that department.
                When you use vBulletin, you have to take into account both web space and MySQL database space. vBulletin 3.x consists of:
                • PHP scripts and image files in the zip file you download = 7.0mb in size once zip file is extracted and uploaded to your Web site account.
                • MySQL database space which holds the actual vBulletin data:
                1. On initial install the MySQL database space used is approximately 3.6mb, and that is mainly the database table structure and initial data in the database tables.
                2. Once you start posting, adding threads, members, polls, private messages, attachments, avatars etc, your MySQL database space is the one that grows and should be your main concern - MySQL disk space.
                How much MySQL disk space is used is highly dependent on the type of forum you run, and factors such as:
                • Your average allowed attachment and avatar size
                • How many attachments and avatars you have stored in your vBulletin database
                • How many private messages you have stored in your vBulletin database from members
                • How many posts and threads you have and the size and variables you have set for your searchindex
                • How many members you have
                • How many forums you have
                • And so on and so forth
                For example, one installation we have seen had 5,800+ members, 40,000 threads, 662,000 posts, 70,000 private messages and 8,000 attachments. The total MySQL database size was 940MB - which comes to around 140MB per 100,000 posts. Please note that it does vary from forum to forum, so your mileage may vary.

Comment

• keller45
                  • May 2005

So does this mean ill have to buy 2 servers?

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

No chances are you can find a good shared host for under 20 dollars a month or less depending on what you are looking for that will be able to run vBulletin.

Comment

• keller45
                      • May 2005

ok i talked to a buddy and he said he would do a package for $60 a year. It would include 5gb of disc space and 10gb of transfer space. This is a good deal rright?

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Hmm, well i guess, deals and friends are as good as wet matches and candles...

Look for a proper host.

Comment

• keller45
                          • May 2005

Hes not really my friend just someone I know. He does hosting as a buisness.

Comment

• PGN
                            • Jan 2005

That is a VERY good deal! That's $5.00/month! Most hosts charge $10.00/month for 1 GB of space!

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Just keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...