asmallorange, eleven2, servage, penguinhost Which one should i use?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TuSlic
    • May 2002

asmallorange, eleven2, servage, penguinhost Which one should i use?

I'm about to open a website for my record label and I'm going to purchase a vbulletin board, eventually the site board will be bringing in big traffic for my hip hop board. Which host would you guys pick?
  • Shining Arcanine
    • Feb 2003

I'm hosted at A Small Orange and they're service and support have been nothing short of excellent. They put their customers first and do not over sold their servers allowing headroom on each server for existing sites to grow. My site loads quickly and server loads are normally below 1.00.

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

I've heard good stories about penguinhost

Comment

• sross
        • Mar 2004

I have 2 small sites at a small orange and their server load is always getting hammered so i plan to move them. Lunarpages screwed me big time on a big site i run so stay away from them. Currently I am with http://www.realwebhost.com going on 6 months. My site gets a lot of traffic so I'm on a semi-dedicated plan. These guys know their stuff and even make themselves available by messenger all day + 24x7 support. They are not resellers and they provide what their plan says rather than pulling the plug when your site gets "too busy". My vb3 community is here if you want to see http://www.apug.org
        So far I've had 100% uptime with realwebhost, best host I've had yet (and I've tried many), it's almost a relief

good luck!

Comment

• TuSlic
          • May 2002

----
          Last edited by TuSlic; Wed 5 Jan '05, 3:00pm.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

I've helped many people with lunar and I don't recommend them as a hosting solution actually. Realwebhost is one i helped some people on too and those were small sites and they run just fine .. no real experience with big sites

Comment

• TuSlic
              • May 2002

realwebhosting looked good until i realized i read the thing wrong, I thought it was 15gigz. So right now my front runner is eleven2. But it doesnt seem like anyone else here has used that.

Comment

• Sinbad
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Floris
                I've heard good stories about penguinhost
                I think at the time of the post they may have been OK, I joined up with them after my host Velcom refused to increase the max file upload size from 2M, (I need at least 9M) and they said that it would be no problem for them they could even allow 25M file upload size in the forums.

Well after many hours moving my site and numerous e-mails I found that I could not upload anything that was greater than 1M in the forum without getting an invalid sql error.

I also got a "no sql found" error in phpmyadmin when running sql queries that were over 1MB.

After reading many threads here with people who have had the same problem, and emailing penguinhost with all the reccomendations for changes on the server this is the reply I have ended up with. Basically they have taken my money and now given up because they are technically incompetent to know what to do on the server .

Quote from penguinhost

James S. has responded to your help desk request.

-----------------------------------------------
                (James S.)
                For uploads of that size you need a dedicated server.

It is rare that someone would need to upload a file over a 100K to a forum.

Comment

• RockStar
                  • Aug 2004

Sinbad, you're trying to upload 9Mb to the database. That is absolutely insane! I don't think any host in their right mind would allow that on shared hosting!

Switch to file upload to a directory instead, and you will not have any problems.
                  http://www.avrilstar.com hosted by micfo.com
                  http://www.sandyleah.com

Comment

• JPT62089
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by RockStar
                    Sinbad, you're trying to upload 9Mb to the database. That is absolutely insane! I don't think any host in their right mind would allow that on shared hosting!

Switch to file upload to a directory instead, and you will not have any problems.

A 9MB database is actually very small... 20 MB is gettting pretty big for PHPMyAdmin to upload... but 9MB is a breeze! Also I think you can use SSH to upload it... idk how to though

What I do for a 20 MB database is just upload small parts at one time...
                    http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

• RockStar
                      • Aug 2004

He said "upload to a forum", so I tought he meant upload 'as attachements' 9 meg files. That is what is crazy

To do a backup, yes SSH is the way to go!

Comment

• Sinbad
                        • Jan 2003

@ Rockstar

That is exactly what I did mean and if you do a search on this forum you will see that I am not so crazy as you think as many other users have reported and requested a solution to the same problem which the VBulletin team here have given solutions to.

Just two of many examples

Read here

You also say that nobody in their right mind would allow that on shared hosting yet, the team here seem to disagree with you once more , read the post from Zachery below.
                        I'm fully aware of how to to a backup and restore a sql dump through ssh , but that is not my issue. I need this for attachments to posts and I can do it already on two forums where I am not the owner, that is on shared hosting in the UK but is much more expensive than US or Banadian based hosts

#7 Jan 7th 2005, 1:57am
                        Zachery
                        vBulletin Team Join Date: Jul 2002

16M is generaly a good value or shared hosting

Zachery Woods
                        vBulletin Support Team
                        The Digital Kore (its back )
                        Styles { Classic | Black | Power Blue | Greenish | Evil | Admin Blue | Admin Sliver }

Comment

• RockStar
                          • Aug 2004

I still think it's a very up-optimized solution. Not because it isn't possible (some shared host allow you to modify the php.ini through .htaccess, have you tried this?) but because it will monopolize the server ressources.

Uploading 16M through the web-browser means you're taking up an http connection to that server for that period of time. You CAN easily modify the upload_max_filesize, but then you have to deal with timouts not only in php but with apache itself which is set 'normally' to 300

Your webserver can have other timeouts. E.g. Apache has Timeout directive, IIS has CGI timeout function, both default to 300 seconds. See the webserver documentation for meaning of it.
                          It is practically impossible for most users to upload that amount of data in that short of time (300 seconds is 5 minutes), so you will end up timing out and losing your upload. Remember you're doing this over http, and not ftp, which isn't designed to transfer files as efficiently as ftp.

All these can be fixed, but you seem to want to shove it in t he database, which has constraints of its own. If you try to put it directly in the database instead of in a file system, you will most likely endup locking that table for a long time, which means no one else will be able to view/download/upload during that time.

Anyways, I just would be very discontent if my shared host went over the default of 2M.. so they are right in saying a dedicated server is really what you need

Comment

• Sinbad
                            • Jan 2003

It's Ok I've found a host who can do it now.

Thanks to JPT62089 for his help

@ Rockstar as I said read the threads I posted and you will understand how to do it.
                            Last edited by Sinbad; Sun 20 Mar '05, 10:26am.

Comment

• Sinbad
                              • Jan 2003

To give you the full story just so you understand , here most of the correspondence, the answers from penguinhost are in bold type.
                              Do you think I am wrong to ask for a refund?
                              It seems to me that these guys are amateurs who do not know what they are doing with regard to server settings

Dear Sir
                              I am looking for a host than can accept file uploads within a thread in a vbulletin forum of around 8 or 9MB, with my current host the limit is set at 2MB . Could you please advise if you can do this before I commit and pay for the hosting plan . Also if I do do commit do you accept paypal payments or can I pay with credit card.

Regards

Dan A. has responded to your help desk request.

(Dan A.)
                              We would accept paypal and also could get that max upload set to 15 meg if that will work out better for you. Just let us know.

Hi
                              I have managed to upload the db using putty with the mysql command as phpmyadmin would not allow me to do it either from my workplace LAN or my home, I don't think it's an ISP issue as on another forum I can upload bigger files.
                              I then got a similar problem uploading a file of 5Mb in my forum, I got a mysql error once more. I thought this may be related to the vbulletin so I looked at the same issues on the Vb community support forum and apparently they say its a server issue

Dan A. has responded to your help desk request.

(Dan A.)
                              The only thing on our end that would restrict uploading large files would be the 'upload_max_filesize'

As you can see though our cap is set at 25MB. Try looking here...
                              http://69.65.19.206/~fantasti/pinfo.php

Dear Sir
                              Regarding max file upload size, please read below
                              There are several php.ini settings that affect file uploads., not just upload_max_filesize

upload_max_filesize - Largest size of a file to accept.
                              post_max_size - Must be larger than upload_max_filesize.
                              memory_limit - Should be larger than post_max_size

It is also possible for apache to be set to reject posts of a certain size or greater. I believe, if memory serves me correctly the directive LimitRequestBody which can be found in your httpd.conf file.

Lastly, regarding MySQL, you must also have the variable max_allowed_packet set to a value larger than your upload_max_filesize directive.
                              Note: You may also need to increase the max_execution_time and max_input_time variables in php.ini, as if this is set to a short time i.e, 300s then it will timeout before the file uploads, 3000s would be a better setting. Here are some typical settings below for files of 8Mb, these need adjusting for larger file sizes of course
                              change the following parameters in /etc/php.ini
                              post_max_size = 12M
                              upload_max_filesize = 8M
                              memory_limit = 16M
                              max_execution_time = 3000s
                              max_input_time variables = 3000s

and add this line in /etc/my.cnf:
                              set-variable = max_allowed_packet=8M
                              There is also a file in /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf
                              It is THIS file that contains the directive LimitRequestBody and it is set to a default of 524288 (512kb) for 8Mb files it needs to be changed to 8388608 (8Mb)

(James S.)
                              Try it now, you can upload upto 25M

Dear Sir

Im sorry but still no luck with anything above 1M

(James S.)
                              There is nothing on our end that would be causing that error. Please try contacting vBulliten directly.

Dear Sir

I have given you all of the recommended settings, I did ask if this was possible before signing up and paying you for three months hosting in advance.

(James S.)
                              For uploads of that size you need a dedicated server.

It is rare that someone would need to upload a file over a 100K to a forum.

Hi James
                              I don't want to argue but will you finally confirm if you are prepared to change the settings as advised by VBulletin forum support and as I sent to you in my previous mail, or if not could you please refund me my hosting fees as it useless to me without it. As I said I did check before I bought and Dan confirmed 100% that this would be OK.
                              As I said there are hundreds of people with the same problem if you read the VB support forum, some hosts will change the settings others refuse (like my last one) Here is just one more example below. (I have removed the thread for the sake of not making this post too long)

Hi
                              48 hours and still waiting, could you please reply, are you going to supply the service as promised or are you going to make a full refund as I have found another host who can definitely do it.
                              Thanks

Matt W. has responded to your help desk request.

(Matt W.)
                              We will be making the changes.

Dear Sir

Thanks for that, when will these changes be made:
                              Thanks

(James S.)
                              We can only do this on a dedicated servers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...