X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Still Waters
    • Dec 2002
    • 3.5.x

ensim or cpanel?

Which is better? Ensim or cpanel? Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Still Waters
  • TalkMilitary
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Still Waters
    Which is better? Ensim or cpanel? Thanks.
    That is a loaded question . I think it is more a matter of preference. I have used both, but we strictly use cPanel for our shared hosting.

You will find arguments for both of those control panels. I suggest looking at both, and playing with demos if you get a chance. That should help you decide what is best for your needs.
    Glenn

Comment

• Still Waters
      • Dec 2002
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by sb-host
      That is a loaded question . I think it is more a matter of preference. I have used both, but we strictly use cPanel for our shared hosting.

You will find arguments for both of those control panels. I suggest looking at both, and playing with demos if you get a chance. That should help you decide what is best for your needs.
      Glenn
      Glenn, thanks for the suggestion. But I don't even know enough to know what I'm looking for when I try demos.

I rarely use the control panel. I'm not an advanced control panel user, by any means. By switching from a cpanel host to an ensim host, would I miss anything if I only use it for basic tasks? Also, is there a particular reason why you strictly use cpanel for your shared hosting? Thanks again.
      Thanks,
      Still Waters

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

I personaly really like cpanel for mananging my servers, I have it on two of my boxes now and wouldnt switch to another for any reason

Comment

• Still Waters
          • Dec 2002
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Zachery
          I personaly really like cpanel for mananging my servers, I have it on two of my boxes now and wouldnt switch to another for any reason
          Thanks, Zachery. Could you explain a little about why you wouldn't switch? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks.
          Thanks,
          Still Waters

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Now, I have no direct expirence with ensim, but i always seem to find ensim servers software very much out of date when compared with cpanel. I happen to like the way cpanel looks and functions, their community is good and their support times are decent enough to make me stick with them.

Comment

• Admiral Spock
              • Jun 2004

I have used ensim from time to time over the past several years. It's slow, extremely slow, and it's UI is horrible. It's the CP that I really used when I got into the web hosting 'industry', and am quite familiar with. Since then I have switched to cPanel and prefer it... cPanel is so much better, although their updates sometimes cause problems (like kill apache), that is why you don't turn auto-update and research each update that comes out for problems. If you want an incredibly slow cP, you want Ensim. If you want a fast, stable (when admin admins right), secure cP.. you want cPanel.

Good luck. Also consider DirectAdmin, Plesk, H-Sphere, and Helm if you ever use a Windows box.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I've got cPanel on yet another box and couldn't be more happy, neither could the other admin

Comment

• f i x a t e
                  • Jan 2005

cPanel is awesome. Its features are incredible and it makes it easier to manage your site.

fixate

Comment

• RichM
                    • Jan 2003
                    • 4.0.x

Apparently Ensim is coded better and is less buggy. Then again Ensim has hundreds less features compared to cPanel. cPanel gives sys admins and site admins a lot more control over the server and websites via a web interface. Since we switched from Ensim to cPanel, we gained a lot more customers, put it that way. In our opinion, cPanel is so good that we refuse to offer any other control panel on our Linux servers. So I'd say go with cPanel.

Comment

• absolut
                      • Jan 2005

What a cpanel bugs you are talking about? I am about to get new cpanel server, but used only ensim before. So it would be nice to know it and make right choice

Comment

• RichM
                        • Jan 2003
                        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by absolut
                        What a cpanel bugs you are talking about? I am about to get new cpanel server, but used only ensim before. So it would be nice to know it and make right choice
                        I am not sure what the bugs are, but that was what I was told a few years ago. Things may have changed now. Go with cPanel anyway, it is just better.

Comment

• TalkMilitary
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by HostOrbit
                          I am not sure what the bugs are, but that was what I was told a few years ago. Things may have changed now. Go with cPanel anyway, it is just better.
                          A thing or two has changed in the last few years.
                          IMHO, every panel has bugs/glitches. The deciding factor should be based on features as well as responsiveness of the developers to issues. IMHO, cPanel has done great in that area.
                          Keep in mind, WHM/cPanel makes it easy to get in to hosting, but is certainly *not* a replacement for a Server Admin. It can make life easier for a site owner for sure. If the Admin knows his/her way around the OS, then they will be fine when glitches occur.
                          Glenn

Comment

• Scott Spain
                            • Sep 2004

I don't know if you have your heart set on these 2 or not. If not, don't overlook this:

Originally posted by Admiral Spock
                            Also consider DirectAdmin, Plesk, H-Sphere, and Helm if you ever use a Windows box.
                            I've been using H-Sphere for a short time now, and I'm completely sold. Nothing like having all of your payment processing built-in.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...