is 10GB/month enough for a vb forum with 100 online users?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xiaonan
    • May 2004

is 10GB/month enough for a vb forum with 100 online users?

I am starting a forum with vb3. The expected user online at anytime is roughly 80-100. Mt host has restriction of 10GB and 20Gb for 2 different plan. Anyone familiar with bandwidth consumption knows whether this is enough for me? Thanks a lot!
  • tygersclaw
    • May 2004
    • 3.8.x

I have a board which I just converted from IPB to vB 3.0.1. It uses about 9GB a month with 400 members and currently almost 7,000 posts. We are averaging between 1 and 1.5 million hits a month on that site.

A idea to look at is getting a reseller account. Sometimes these accounts can give larger allotments for less money than a shared hosting account.

If that is not an option, then if you expect to have a LOT of traffic, then looking at VPS/VDS is another option to consider.

And finally there is the option of a dedicated server.

Comment

• RichM
      • Jan 2003
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by xiaonan
      I am starting a forum with vb3. The expected user online at anytime is roughly 80-100. Mt host has restriction of 10GB and 20Gb for 2 different plan. Anyone familiar with bandwidth consumption knows whether this is enough for me? Thanks a lot!
      I think you should be looking at a Dedicated server.

Comment

• lifesourcerec
        • Mar 2002

I need to check stats, but we used up 70 GB of bandwidth last month.

Comment

• Furnace
          • Mar 2002

If you are going to be having 100 people on at the same time then you will find a lot of hosts pushing you towards a dedicated server. 10GB, even 20GB, is definetly not enough. I have a few forums where users are around 10-20 a at a time and we use over 10GB a month.

Comment

• lifesourcerec
            • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Furnace
            If you are going to be having 100 people on at the same time then you will find a lot of hosts pushing you towards a dedicated server. 10GB, even 20GB, is definetly not enough. I have a few forums where users are around 10-20 a at a time and we use over 10GB a month.
            Yeah.. 100 users total, 10GB is plenty, but all at once.. he will definately need 100GB or around that for a forum. Out max is 145 users at once (up from the previous 85), but average 45-50 at once and used 70 GB of bandwidth.

Comment

• raxafarian
              • Apr 2003
              • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
              One of the reasons why I recommend A Small Orange.
              rofl

Comment

• SaintDog
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.5.x

Simpy because you have 100 users online, does not mean you will need 100GB's of bandwidth or more. We host a a few people that range 50-150 online at a time and never use more than 20-40GB's of bandwidth per month; it really depends on how active your users are.

If you users are the type that post a little bit and just like to browse, then you probably won't need much to start with, though a good range would be 30-40GB's of bandwidth and move from there as needed. I don't know many hosts that won't allow you to upgrade, in fact, I don't know of any to be honest.

Now, if your users are the type that come to your board, posts a great deal, download every attachement they see a need to, reply to threads and are very active then you may be looking for the large bandwidth ranges for your board; main reason being is activity = bandwidth usage.

We have clients that use as little as 10GB's for their board and some that use as much as 200GB's, but it really depends on what the need for the board is. While it is best to go with a plan a bit higher that you need in some cases, don't go out and spend $200 on a dedicated server if you really don't need it.

Keep in mind, if you go dedicated, that is basically going on your own. Even with managed services, if you break something, they may fix it the first few times, but even managed services have a limit to what they will and will not do. This is not to scare you away from a dedicated server, but you may be able to get buy with a private server or with another, pre-dedicated server until you get the hang of it.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by decostop
                  rofl
                  I'm serious, they host people with that many people online and server loads are good.

Comment

• Phill11
                    • Jan 2004

My site has 110+ users come on a day. Usually 20 people on at a time. In 3 months, 30,000+ posts.

Right now we have 1200 GB Tranfer per month and 80GB.

It's running great, sites fast.

Hope that helps.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...