Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wbutchart
    • May 2004

Good hosts or didicated servers

Hi im looking to get v bulletin but i want to either have a massive web hosting package or a good dedicated server. Im looking to launch a massive site (well try lol). Every dedicated server host only offers 40 gb of bandwidth a month and i dont know if thats good enough. Anyone on good hosts or servers that they would recomend?.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

a dedicated server should offer way more than 40gb of bandwith, my current dedicated server offers me about 1tb of bandwith a month _

Comment

• TheAnt06
      • Nov 2003
      • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Yeah, there is no way a dedi only has 40GB of bandwidth. I can see that for shared hosting.

And a bit of a suggestion, start with shared hosting first to see how your site fares. Theres no use in paying $100+ a month for a dedicated if your site only has two members. Wait til you get members and lots of activity before you even think of switching to dedicated.

Comment

• wbutchart
        • May 2004

No i would rather get a dedicated server as i also plan on running a few other sites from it and transfering a few others to it. Where is it you are hosted zachery?

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
          • Feb 2003

I really don't think you need a dedicated server for 40GB. Look into this shared host:

They host my site. The server I'm on is considered full and server load is rarely above 1.00.

Comment

• wbutchart
            • May 2004

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
            I really don't think you need a dedicated server for 40GB. Look into this shared host:

They host my site. The server I'm on is considered full and server load is rarely above 1.00.
            No im looking to host more than one site on the package and for that i think i nead a dedicted web server. I plan on adding to my sites and running around 10 of them which comes to over $100 anyway a month so im checking out my options the now.
            The webhost i have the now has a cpu of 4 is that bad?.
            Last edited by wbutchart; Sat 1 May '04, 11:35am. Reason: updating

Comment

• Cloud Strife
              • Jun 2002
              • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by wbutchart
              Depends on the type of server.

If you want to go dedi, I suggest you look at rackshack or servermatrix

Comment

• Denzo
                • Apr 2004
                • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by Cloud Strife
                Depends on the type of server.

If you want to go dedi, I suggest you look at rackshack or servermatrix
                If you know linux.. try www.1and1.com nice dedicated plans..starting at $49.99

Dave

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                  • Feb 2003

No im looking to host more than one site on the package and for that i think i nead a dedicted web server. I plan on adding to my sites and running around 10 of them which comes to over $100 anyway a month so im checking out my options the now.
                  You can host more than one site on your package at A Small Orange. You can either use Addon Domains or pay an extra $5 a month for WHM which allows you to make free standing cPanel accounts.

Comment

• UHN_ED
                    • Jan 2003

cpu of 4 is that bad?.
                    Not to be mean, but if you need to ask that you probably will not be able to run a dediated server.

Get a host that will let you host more then one site, mabye a reseller plan or something like that. If you need to move then learn how to secure and run a server or move to a managed dedicated server.

Comment

• wbutchart
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine
                      You can host more than one site on your package at A Small Orange. You can either use Addon Domains or pay an extra $5 a month for WHM which allows you to make free standing cPanel accounts.
                      They have just earned a new customer lol. I looked over there prices and will just run them all on differnt packages until i am paying around $100 and then go dedicated. Also they say that soon ASO will be launching dedicated servers too.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                        • Feb 2003

They have just earned a new customer lol. I looked over there prices and will just run them all on differnt packages until i am paying around $100 and then go dedicated. Also they say that soon ASO will be launching dedicated servers too.
                        You only need one package/hosting plan unless you need more than 150GB of bandwidth (which is the amount in the largest package/hosting plan). You can get reselling for an extra $5 a month and that will allow you to have mutiple sites on one package/hosting plan if you don't like Addon Domains.

By the way, tell them I sent you, there is a referral box for it.

Comment

• Joshs
                          • Jan 2001

Comment

• attroll
                            • Jan 2003
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Denzo
                            If you know linux.. try www.1and1.com nice dedicated plans..starting at $49.99

Dave
                            Dave

Are you using 1and1? I would like to here from others that are using 1and1. I am thinking about moving to one of there managed accounts for $59 a month. But I would like to here from users that are using them and see how well their larger vBulletin's is running on there servers?

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

There has been a mix of feelings about 1and1 if you read around, if you are out side of the us i wouldnt try,

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...