Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kathyp
    • Sep 2002

what ever you do do not use Ventures online

Avoid these goofs like the plague. They have been dropping people left and right with no explantion.
    They have gone from an expensive , reliable host with ok techincal support (shilled to death on this board- wonder if anyone got kick backs???) to a garbage over priced piece of absolute ****.

They suck . Period.
    Avoid them or suffer. If you have VB running on them you better make a back up ASAP or you will lose your info.
    Word to the wise.
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by kathyp
    Avoid these goofs like the plague. They have been dropping people left and right with no explantion.
    They have gone from an expensive , reliable host with ok techincal support (shilled to death on this board- wonder if anyone got kick backs???) to a garbage over priced piece of absolute ****.

They suck . Period.
    Avoid them or suffer. If you have VB running on them you better make a back up ASAP or you will lose your info.
    Word to the wise.
    We use ServerMatrix.com, however i'd be interested to here the reason as for why you don't think much of VenturesOnline.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by HostOrbit
      We use ServerMatrix.com, however i'd be interested to here the reason as for why you don't think much of VenturesOnline.
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/searc...earchid=233251

as of this moment, I would NOT recommend VO.
      Ventures Online has been GOING DOWN THE TOILET for the past month.

I cannot recommend them at all. My $90/mo VPS is EXTREMELY slow (reported by many visitors to my forum) and their response to my last helpdesk ticket when I told them I was leaving was basically "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

All this since they got bought out by Data393.
      I have a reseller account with venturesonline and have had speed and uptime problems for about the past month+
      moved my board to Ventures Online about a month ago... MAN, WHAT A MISTAKE!

My server (reseller plan) keeps going up and down.
      Ventures Online's shared "reseller" servers limit the number of maximum mysql connections available to your account at any one time.
      I was with VO for about 1 month about one month ago. Was very unhappy with server (megaman.vosn.net) performance and uptime. I dropped them fast. Expected better.
      Need I quote more?

By the way, ever since I registered I have had no clue why people recommend Ventures Online, they give very little space and bandwidth and have the highest hosting prices I have ever seen.
      Last edited by Shining Arcanine; Mon 12 Apr '04, 3:59pm.

Comment

• kathyp
        • Sep 2002

Let's see:

1) close your web sites
        2) takes 4 days - yes 4 days for support to get back to you
        3) takes another 36 hours to see whatthe problem is
        4) give you 15 different explanations to why you need to move to a more expensive server
        5) then give you attitude because you say "no thanks".

Regardless my research has shown that most of the glowing reviews are actual shills. Anyone who recommends these guys should be suspect. They have gotten even worse after the mergers if you can believe that.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

I'll take issue with the 'shills' comment. Until recently VO was actually an excellent host and deserved it's high recommendations. There is no doubt that they have changed a lot since their recent takeover and this accounts for the change in experiences.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kathyp
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            I'll take issue with the 'shills' comment. Until recently VO was actually an excellent host and deserved it's high recommendations. There is no doubt that they have changed a lot since their recent takeover and this accounts for the change in experiences.
            Sorry but most of the problems were ALREADY there. It just got worse after the merger.

There is no doubt in my mind that 60-70% of the positive reviews were shills from the company. This can be confirmed by the admin on a very popular web host review board. Nuff' said.

IMO VO was and is a scam that uses deceptive methods to pass good reviews.

Comment

• orca
              • Mar 2001
              • 5.5.x

Just to say that I was also with VO on a shared plan and NEVER had any problems. I only switched as I wanted a ded. server to play a bit myself and VO was too expensive for that. However, I left more than a year ago so I can't judge for that time period.
              Ueli

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
                • Dec 2003

We use ServerMatrix.com
                Would you reccomend them?

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

I have helped a few sites who have dedicated and colocation there, they are quite pleasing and proper support. (at least in 2003 when I was involved with helping out).

Comment

• Mike Warner
                    • Jun 2001
                    • 4.0.x

I used VO for years without a problem and they knew my site was too big for the type of account I had with them. I only moved from them as I wanted to expand further and required a decicated server.
                    Mike Warner
                    MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Floris
                      I have helped a few sites who have dedicated and colocation there, they are quite pleasing and proper support. (at least in 2003 when I was involved with helping out).
                      Hmm. We are looking at moving from poptel ( www.poptel.coop) to servermatrix VERY soon. out server is under so much pressure that everyday from 5pm to about 1am gtm anything on there is unuseable.

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

You could check ThePlanet.com where Jelsoft moved to too

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Floris
                          You could check ThePlanet.com where Jelsoft moved to too
                          oooh, ill ask Tom what the financial status is, although im sure he could clmain it off warner as a business expense? have a look at www.muse.mu/stats and see from that what you think would be a good idea. cheers

Comment

• RichM
                            • Jan 2003
                            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Jimmy Kane
                            Would you reccomend them?
                            Server Matrix is a division of The Planet (Basically, Server Matrix is owned by The Planet and is on the same network). The Planet mainly specialize in top end dedicated servers, while Server Matrix is designed to offer good servers at an affordable price. I'd say Server Matrix are there to compete with EV1Servers, Nocster etc.

Comment

• Jimmy Kane
                              • Dec 2003

Server Matrix is a division of The Planet (Basically, Server Matrix is owned by The Planet and is on the same network). The Planet mainly specialize in top end dedicated servers, while Server Matrix is designed to offer good servers at an affordable price. I'd say Server Matrix are there to compete with EV1Servers, Nocster etc.
                              Oooh, thats good to know. THanks for that. They gonna be ok of upwards of 800gig bandwidth a month? (even though they come with 1000gig you never know)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...