venturesonline is kicking me off... where do I go?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gopherhockey
    • Jul 2002
    • 3.6.x

venturesonline is kicking me off... where do I go?

I just today got "suspended" without any prior notice by venturesonline.com - they claim we have had 2.5M hits just this month already, but I seriously doubt this - we're only a few hundred user forum for a small bike club in Minnesota... sure we have our dozen or so regulars, but nothing that would generate that kind of traffic.

Venturesonline wants to give us the boot entirely and completely... which means I need to find a new host asap.

I don't understand - do others have this issue with venturesonline? I thought they were a good "vbulletin" type hosting service. We have to be quite small compared to many other forums...

What is something comparable to venturesonline? Somewhere I can get the same cpanel, 500 megs or more of space, the ability to run photopost (with imagemagic) - and nobody will simply shut me down in suspension without trying to help review what is happening.

I can only assume we are being hammered by someone... but the way we are being treated by venturesonline makes me think we're best to go somewhere else.

I can promise you we are low bandwidth... but I don't mind paying if it means someone will leave me alone and let us just run our system.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll continue searching here for potential new hosts.
    www.morcmtb.org
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

If your looking for dedicated servers you might want to try ev1 or servermatrix.

Comment

• Joshs
      • Jan 2001

ServerMatrix has some decent offerings...

Comment

• djnoz
        • May 2003

It sounds to me like a shared hosting account is what you're after. http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk are the ones that I use, I have well over 1,000 users. Recently I sent them an email about server resources. They told me that I had a very long way to go before I get kicked off and told to find a dedicated solution...

You might want to give them a try. Beware that they moving all their servers at the moment though, so things are a little turbulent. Apparently their new servers are REALLY fast though. (Mine hasn't been moved yet)

BTW they also have imagemagick installed as standard...
        Matt
        Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
        Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.

Comment

• TalkMilitary
          • Mar 2003

I just spoke with Matt at http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk and they are still moving people to the new servers, but *are* accepting new orders. New orders are placed on the new servers.

http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk is a stable provider, and certainly worthy of your consideration in choosing a host.
          Glenn

Originally posted by djnoz
          It sounds to me like a shared hosting account is what you're after. http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk are the ones that I use, I have well over 1,000 users. Recently I sent them an email about server resources. They told me that I had a very long way to go before I get kicked off and told to find a dedicated solution...

You might want to give them a try. Beware that they moving all their servers at the moment though, so things are a little turbulent. Apparently their new servers are REALLY fast though. (Mine hasn't been moved yet)

BTW they also have imagemagick installed as standard...

Comment

• marc49
            • Apr 2002

i got the same message from them, but they said that I am at 5.5 million hits a month.. I checked webalizer stats and I have been doing that since I started..Sounds to me like they're jsut trying to get rid of VB boards

Comment

• ralphuk100
              • Jul 2004

Our board is on a dedicated venturesonline server. No problems to report. Guess they want you on dedicated. Try www.vip-hosting.com - I have used them before, very good

Comment

• banjolawyer
                • Aug 2002

venturesonline has been acquired by a company called data393. I have noticed a serious decline in the quality of customer service since then.
                Last edited by banjolawyer; Tue 17 May '05, 2:53pm.

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

ThePlanet.com has good services too, so it seems.

Comment

• Mafukie
                    • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Floris
                    ThePlanet.com has good services too, so it seems.
                    ThePlanet.com owns ServerMatrix.com, but are a little more expensive.

I would recommend Servermatrix.com, their support is good and I haven't had any real downtime issues since I have been there (Almost a year now)

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                      • Feb 2003

Personally, I'd recommend The Planet as their servers are even better quality (the Xeons are designed for reliability even more so than the P4s) and higher end.

Anyway, is it just me or am I only one who has noticed that this thread is from April? ^_^;;

Comment

• cirisme
                        • Feb 2003

We've used a dedicated server from http://pixiehost.com/ for about a year now(well, not on the same server, we've had a couple upgrades) and have been very pleased. The support has been absolutely phenomenal. Highly recommended.
                        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• Dennis Olson
                          • Oct 2002

The guy who hosts my forum can help you. He lives in Apple Valley BTW, so is "local". He won't cheat you.

[email protected]

Extraordinarilty technically competent, and I get tech support in usually about 15 minutes! Give him an email - let him know I sent ya....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...