X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philameena
    • Mar 2004

1 & 1 Hosting - Opinions?

Anyone got experience with 1&1 ?

They're offering 3GHz P4 dedicated servers with 500Gb/month bandwidth for $99 a month. Seems like an amazing deal.
  • Shining Arcanine
    • Feb 2003

I'd go with ServerMatrix, they offer 1TB of bandwidth standard with all of their servers.

Comment

• Joshs
      • Jan 2001

Server Matrix > 1&1

For one thing they don't offer cPanel but instead their own proprietary control panel. ugh.

Comment

• Ian Gordon
        • Aug 2003
        • 3.0.0 Beta 5

UK Company that is spreading overseas to reach a greater market potential.
        Ian Gordon
        Ian Gordon Online
        http://www.iangordon.us
        PHP / MySQL / XHTML Programmer

Comment

• cyburbia
          • Aug 2001
          • 3.7.x

Their ads in US computer magazines had what I thought was a UK-ish look when I first saw them. I didn't surprise me when I found out it was a UK-based company.
          Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
          http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

• TripleH
            • Jul 2001
            • 3.0.0 Beta 7

they have their own limits just for the db size.. be careful.

Comment

• poolking
              • Aug 2002

They might be well known, but take it from me, I wouldn't bother with them, as Joshs said, their control panel is absolutely awful.

There are better hosts out there.

Comment

• walter
                • May 2001
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by cyburbia
                Their ads in US computer magazines had what I thought was a UK-ish look when I first saw them. I didn't surprise me when I found out it was a UK-based company.
                Actually they are a company from Germany founded 1988. Now they have offices and data centers in Germany, France, UK and USA.
                More than 10 years experience in building communities!
                Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

• flamingpeach
                  • Dec 2003
                  • 3.6.x

I recently switched from prohosters to 1&1 and have had no problems what so ever.

As for their control panel, compared to what I have used in the past, its wonderful.

Comment

• Scifience
                    • Mar 2004
                    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by philameena
                    Anyone got experience with 1&1 ?

They're offering 3GHz P4 dedicated servers with 500Gb/month bandwidth for $99 a month. Seems like an amazing deal.
                    I signed up with them for this deal about a month ago and have had a wonderful experience.

The servers are VERY fast and they had it set up the same day for me. Whenever I have had a question for them, I just sent them an e-mail, and in a few hours (or less) they wrote back to me with a helpful response.

The nice thing about their 500GB of bandwidth is that unlike many hosting companies, they don't limit your use of it. My site on their server has at times used up 300-400GB of bandwidth in a period of an hour, and they don't mind. There are NO caps in place as to how much bandwidth can be used at once or during a single day. Their overage charges are also low compared to my previous host ($0.99/GB vs. $0.10/MB), a very important thing to consider if you've had a $25,000 bandwidth bill like I have had.

As far as the control panel naysayers go, their control panel for the shared hosting is rather unintuitive, I'll admit. However, their dedicated servers come with Plesk 7 pre-installed, which is a VERY nice and intuitive control panel, IMHO. On a dedicated server, you will never have to touch their control panel interface except for ordering domains and additional IPs.

I would highly recommend their service. I have had absolutely no downtime or slowdowns an I put a lot of stress on the server (see story above about $25,000 bandwidth bill).

If you do decide you're going to go with it, please PM me for a signup link to use (so I get a few dollars off of my hosting bill).

Comment

• Dean C
                      • Mar 2002
                      • 3.5.x

Do not use this company.

Their support is horrrendous. I'll edit this post with my experience later today...

Ok EDIT:

Basiaclly I used this company to do the most simple thing in the world. Register a domain name. I have my hosting elsewhere so I reg'd the domain and then it took 3 days to process (normally < 24hours on most other services). Then I went into my control panel trying to find where I could change the DNS details and couldn't find anywhere. I looked in the FAQ and in one place they said they don't offer this service and in another it gave me a pdf form to fax to them. So I sent the fax off to the number they listed. After 7 days which is what they said it would take at maximum to get it all sorted I emailed their support complaining and asking why it hadn't gone through. Two days later I got a response saying they hadn't received a fax and said to send it through again and the support guy quoted a different fax #. So I sent the fax off again and then 2 days later got a response saying that DNS would not resolved. When in fact it does as I know several websites who are running off the two nameservers I gave them. So bascially they are uttering complete and utter bull**** and I'm stuck with them for a year with a domain I can't use which I wanted to use to launch my online portfolio/personal business.

They're support system and response time is parallel to that of a non-staff mcdonalds. Do not use this company. I can't imagine it being any better for hosting if they can't deal with a simple issue such as changing the DNS of a domain.
                      Last edited by Dean C; Sat 20 Mar '04, 9:50am.
                      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Scifience
                        • Mar 2004
                        • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by Dean C
                        Do not use this company.

Their support is horrrendous. I'll edit this post with my experience later today...

Ok EDIT:

Basiaclly I used this company to do the most simple thing in the world. Register a domain name. I have my hosting elsewhere so I reg'd the domain and then it took 3 days to process (normally < 24hours on most other services). Then I went into my control panel trying to find where I could change the DNS details and couldn't find anywhere. I looked in the FAQ and in one place they said they don't offer this service and in another it gave me a pdf form to fax to them. So I sent the fax off to the number they listed. After 7 days which is what they said it would take at maximum to get it all sorted I emailed their support complaining and asking why it hadn't gone through. Two days later I got a response saying they hadn't received a fax and said to send it through again and the support guy quoted a different fax #. So I sent the fax off again and then 2 days later got a response saying that DNS would not resolved. When in fact it does as I know several websites who are running off the two nameservers I gave them. So bascially they are uttering complete and utter bull**** and I'm stuck with them for a year with a domain I can't use which I wanted to use to launch my online portfolio/personal business.

They're support system and response time is parallel to that of a non-staff mcdonalds. Do not use this company. I can't imagine it being any better for hosting if they can't deal with a simple issue such as changing the DNS of a domain.
                        As of right now, I can update DNS through the online interface for domains I have purchased through them. I've registered 8 domains through them and none have taken longer than 24 hours to propogate (except when it was my ISP's fault, but that's another story).

Comment

• Dean C
                          • Mar 2002
                          • 3.5.x

There is nowhere in my control panel @ admin.oneandone.co.uk where you can change the DNS.
                          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Scifience
                            • Mar 2004
                            • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by Dean C
                            There is nowhere in my control panel @ admin.oneandone.co.uk where you can change the DNS.
                            That may be, but there is indeed a way to do this in the USA control panel.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                              • Feb 2003

From what I understand, you do not want to register a domain with 1and1, besides that, they are fine.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...