X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Justice
    • May 2000
    • 2.0.x

Mod. to turn php to php3?

My site is on CIHost, and they support php, but the extension must be .php3 to be recognized. I'm considering vBulletin, but all of the files end with .php, so I know in advance it won't work. I'm sure I could go in the script and change every single "php" to "php3," but that would not only be tedious, it would only be a temporary solution. I'd have to do it all over again for updates, hacks, and additional files.

I called CIHost and the tech support guy told me to get a module that allows my site to support different file types or whatever. So does anyone know what he might be talking about, where I might get one, or another solution for my problem?

-Justice
    "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
    - Mark Twain
  • RobRJ
    • May 2000

Originally posted by Justice
    My site is on CIHost, and they support php, but the extension must be .php3 to be recognized. I'm considering vBulletin, but all of the files end with .php, so I know in advance it won't work. I'm sure I could go in the script and change every single "php" to "php3," but that would not only be tedious, it would only be a temporary solution. I'd have to do it all over again for updates, hacks, and additional files.

I called CIHost and the tech support guy told me to get a module that allows my site to support different file types or whatever. So does anyone know what he might be talking about, where I might get one, or another solution for my problem?

-Justice
    Justice...

I have hosting from CIHost's provider, which requires PHP3 as the extension. (but my current vBulletin is actually on a local ISPs server)

I converted all the files in about 15-20 mins, which to me, wasn't very tedious.

I used Notepad to open up each php file (yeah, there's alot of them), then did a --> Search --> Replace of all the ".php" phrases (changing them to ".php3") in each script. Then renamed all .php files to .php3 and life was still good.

Should work similarly using UltraEdit and even better with Dreamweaver, but you first must modify Dreamweacer's configuration so that it recognizes php and php3 files to edit.

It would be a good thing to have different downloads for people running different server setups, but I think I'm much more eager for all the other goodies proposed for the summer release!

Hope that helps about using the mass replace function...

[Edited by RobRJ on 05-25-2000 at 09:13 AM]
    RobRJ
    www.jazweb.net - a growing concern

see my vBulletin @ www.wnsp.com/soundoff

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
      • Apr 2000
      • 4.1.x

Can't you just put

AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php

Into your .htaccess file?
      Motorsport Forums

Comment

• Justice
        • May 2000
        • 2.0.x

Rob, I appreciate the quick response. two questions

1) What is Dreamweaver? Is it another text editor? I use Notepad and CuteHTML mostly...I also downloaded a program called "Textpad," recommended by someone else on this board. If Dreamweaver is something totally different, fill me in.

2) By doing it your way, won't you still have to do that ALL over again when the next version is released? And when hacks come out, you'll have to doublecheck every line for "php," right? There's got to be a better way
        "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

• RobRJ
          • May 2000

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
          Can't you just put

Into your .htaccess file?
          I think on some servers it works, and some it doesn't.
          I didn't try that myself, but it might work for you...

Let me know what happens.
          RobRJ

Comment

• Justice
            • May 2000
            • 2.0.x

by the way...

by the way, nice forum. I like your use of headers and footers.
            - Mark Twain

Comment

• RobRJ
              • May 2000

Rob, I appreciate the quick response. two questions

1) What is Dreamweaver? Is it another text editor? I use Notepad and CuteHTML mostly...I also downloaded a program called "Textpad," recommended by someone else on this board. If Dreamweaver is something totally different, fill me in.

Dreamweaver is a WYSIWIG HTML-editor from Macromedia.
              You can find it at http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/

2) By doing it your way, won't you still have to do that ALL over again when the next version is released? And when hacks come out, you'll have to doublecheck every line for "php," right? There's got to be a better way
              Probably
              RobRJ

Comment

• RobRJ
                • May 2000

thanks

by the way, nice forum. I like your use of headers and footers.
                Thanks to Huss from http://www.BigSoccer.com for the help on that!
                RobRJ

Comment

• Justice
                  • May 2000
                  • 2.0.x

I GOT IT!!

i found the solution

ftp into your server and open the file called ".htaccess"
                  If they don't have one, create one...but it should be there in your www directory.

At the very bottom, add this line:

upload it again, and now your server should recognize all files with a regular php extension. If I were you, I'd re-install the vBulletin again with the php extension, so you won't have to make any extra changes when its time to upgrade. Maybe not, though
                  - Mark Twain

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 4.1.x

erm

Didn't I just say that!
                    Motorsport Forums

Comment

• Justice
                      • May 2000
                      • 2.0.x

LOL

haha my bad, i didn't even see your reply. that would have saved me some time.
                      - Mark Twain

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
                        • Apr 2000
                        • 4.1.x

Actually along a similar line I'm thinking it would be a good idea when I take my website to PHP only to change all the .php's to .html's that way the search engines will index my forum pages too.
                        Motorsport Forums

Comment

• RobRJ
                          • May 2000

.php to .html

Now that's a good idea Mark!
                          RobRJ

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...