X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragon
    • May 2000

Stupid question on post numbering in VB

Hi,

According to the counter on the front page, my vBulletin says we are approaching 100,000 total posts. But if I go into "Edit post" (because I couldn't figure out how else to display the nth post), I find that recent posts are numbered 116000 or so.

1. Why this disparity?
    2. How could I reliably know which is the 100,000th post?

Thanks in advance...
  • JimF
    • May 2000

The disparity comes from deleted threads. For example if you have thread id's 001, 002, & 003, and you delete thread 002, that number is gone forever. One counter may show three total posts, since thread 003 is the highest number, though another counter might show 2 posts since thread 002 doesn't exist any more.

With that reasoning, the chances are good that the lower number is the amount of actual posts in the database - the larger number would be representative of the highest number id.

-jim

Comment

• Dragon
      • May 2000

That makes sense, although I haven't deleted any significant number of posts since importing everything from UBB. I wonder if the higher number includes posts that have been deleted or abandoned in the editing process by users, though. In any case, thanks!

Comment

• JimF
        • May 2000

UBB posts get imported sequentially as well, I think. It's been a while since I've done a UBB import, but I'm pretty sure that threads that were deleted in UBB remain deleted in vB, i.e. if there is no thread number 002 in UBB, there won't be a thread 002 in vB either. That could be what you're seeing.

-jim

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

Yes that would include any posts deleted by your users and all posts removed when a thread is deleted.

Comment

• dwh
            • Sep 2000
            • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

What probably happened is you imported posts, deleted them, reimported them....the numbering of posts doesn't start from 0 just because you deleted posts, the counter keeps going up...

Comment

• Dragon
              • May 2000

OK, so...

...how do I actually query to find the 100,000th post?

Comment

• Fquist
                • Apr 2000

Uh..I don't have the money for a vb license(*sob*) but my guess would be something like this:

select * from replies where postid = '100000'
                Site: -http://www.jazz2online.com-
                Forums -http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/-

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • Apr 2000
                  • 3.6.x

That would get the post with number 100,000, but not necessarily the 100,000th post currently in the database.

To get post with number 100,000:
                  SELECT * FROM post WHERE postid=100000;

To get the 100,000th post currently in the DB:
                  SELECT * FROM post LIMIT 100000,1;

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...