Users gettting failed errors after registering...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marvc
    • Jul 2002

Users gettting failed errors after registering...

The following error appears after someone registers:
    Warning: failed to connect to mailserver, verify your "SMTP settting in php.ini in C:\Program Files\PHP Home Edition 2\www\forums\register.php on line 517."
    I've located my php.ini and made the following change:
    [mail function]
    SMTP= localhost ; for Win32 only
    sendmail_from= [email protected] ; for Win32 only
    ;sendmail_path=;for unix only, may supply arguments as well (default is 'sendmail -t -i')
    Am I doing something wrong here?
    I understand this may not be related to the product, but I'm hoping I can get some assistance or pointed in the right direction.
    Any response is appreciated...
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Are you sure you're running a mailserver on localhost?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• marvc
      • Jul 2002

OK...think I'm getting you. I do run a mail server, but it's on another server, mail.nubiint.com. So maybe I should try this instead mail.nubiint.com?
      Last edited by marvc; Fri 23 Aug '02, 12:57pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Yes, try that. However that server will need to be configured to accept mail from your server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• marvc
          • Jul 2002

OK...ahhh.....configure my server? hmmm...ahhrrmmm
          maybe I need to ask this now before I start bombarding you with a lot questions. Can you point me to a tutorial on how to do this?
          This seems like a process I'd like to document. Currently searching the board.

Comment

• marvc
            • Jul 2002

I'm sorry this just dawned on me, but shouldn't vBulletin be set to send mail from the board to registered users? What should I have to configure?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

vB uses PHP's mail() function. You need to configure PHP properly first for vB email to work.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• marvc
                • Jul 2002

I'm still having a problem with my board not sending activation mail to the users. I'm now getting the following error after a user submits the registration form:
                Warning: Server Error in C:\Program Files\php Home Edition 2\www\forums\register.php on line 517.

I run the mail test and it tells me:
                Mail sent. Were any errors shown? If there were, mail is probably not set up correctly.
                There are no errors shown.
                If I send this to an external user, yahoo or hotmail, they don't get the test mail.
                Can someone pleeease advise me on what's going wrong here???

Any response is appreciated...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Backup your database, then run this MySQL query in phpMyAdmin:

UPDATE template SET template = REPLACE(template, "\n", "\r\n");

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• marvc
                    • Jul 2002

ok...after staring at this for about 25 minutes I have to admin that I don't have a clue on where to add this? I mean I can navigate to phpMyadmin, select the vBulletin db, and click on the Query tab. Afterwards its all "NEW". Am I asking for a drop-kick by asking for some assistance on how to add this??? The only good thing is that I'm documenting this and won't have to ask again...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

You enter this in the query box.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• marvc
                        • Jul 2002

I enter that into the box and select "update query" and I get Database vBulletin running on localhost". I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
                        If I enter and click "submit query" it tells me I need to select at least one column to display.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

What version of phpMyAdmin is this? I don't see those options on mine. You need to enter the query in the 'Run SQL query/queries' box, then press the 'GO' button.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• marvc
                            • Jul 2002

phpinfo states that it's ver4.2.2-dev.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

That's your PHP version, not your phpMyAdmin version. Besides, didn't you say that nubiint.com was a different server than the one where you are running your forums?

I do run a mail server, but it's on another server, mail.nubiint.com.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...