X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brookelyn
    • Jun 2000

Any ideas on this? Please help!

Hello,

so my lovely "boss" thinks that we should have photos and information about our users throughout the site like in the banner ad space - i know it sounds kinda weird, but i can't really say no to her she has her mind set on this.

what she wants is a members photo, name, location, age, and email address to show up - and she wants different ones to showup at the top of the pages throughout the message board in the space where a banner ad would go.

i personally think this will be very strange, but like i said - she doesn't take no for an answer. i have been trying to figure out how this would be possible and while I don't know PHP, I think this might work - please tell me what you think and if it's plausible

Once vB 2.0 comes out, there will be customized fields in the registration so we could have a "picture" field, an "age" field, "location" field, and their username and fields - I am thinking a PHP script could be written to go in the header and will pull a users picture and content from their profile and display it in the banner ad space - every page throughout the site would have a different user and it would constantly change - does this make sense? can this happen?

Like I said, I don't know PHP, but I've done other programming and it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to achieve (like just a few lines of code)

Can I get some feedback on this?

thanks,
    brooke
  • Krucifyx
    • Jun 2000

A modification like that would require manual addition of fields to the database. You can add as many fields as you like independant of vB and integrate new features into vB as you see fit. A modification like this would be easy enough, and shouldn't cause you any head aches.

Comment

• Toliman
      • Dec 2000

Check that birthday hack somewhere in this forum, it shows you how to add fields to the database. After that you'll only need to code a script to retreive the data and build that banner.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...