X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig
    • Jan 2008
    • 6.X

PHP 7, to be, or not to be.

Is it worth moving up to php 7 at this time?

Presently running vB 5.2.2 on the minimum version of php allowed, and it works great. I know eventually I will need to upgrade, but am thinking of doing it only when I have too.

Are there any functionality benefits of upgrading now?

adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.
  • William Thomas Jr
    • Nov 2014
    • 5.1.x

Besides performance? My page load speed decreased by nearly 3 seconds. http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/5-new-features-php-7

Comment

• IggyP
      • Mar 2012

yes i noticed even visually you can tell it loads faster....not like "it loads faster"...more wow look, u can easily see that is loading fast...

Comment

• Mattwhf
        • May 2016
        • 4.2.x

Originally posted by NumNum
        Is it worth moving up to php 7 at this time?

Presently running vB 5.2.2 on the minimum version of php allowed, and it works great. I know eventually I will need to upgrade, but am thinking of doing it only when I have too.

Are there any functionality benefits of upgrading now?
        I wanted to upgrade to php7 but can not at this time because vB4 didn't support properly php7.

So just waiting for fixes from vB team for vB4 so that I can use PHP7 for my forums
        Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
        Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• IggyP
          • Mar 2012

btw multi php is easier than ever nowdays also...either with apache or docker software...

with one project i use apache 2.4, with the other we use docker...

on the apache 2.4 i have a vb5 and vb4 running fine...under php 7 and 5.6 respectively...

the docker was employed to accomodate out of date php versions, with upgrading ones...for in this case is php 5.2 and 5.6 lol...

Comment

• DarthCruiser
            • Aug 2017
            • 5.3.x

I agree - a massive performance difference, I don't see any page load delay at all.

I use a VM running Centos WebPanel, built from Centos 7, which incorporates PHP 7.1.7, MariaDB 10.1.25 and Apache 2.4.27.

In Centos WebPanel there is a new PHP Selector feature, which enables automatic installation of 8 different PHP versions and their dependencies, which can be individually configured. PHP versions assignable by user, site or individual folders within a site.

Its great to be able to keep the legacy apps ticking along whist supporting the leading edge stuff such as VB5. I highly recommend!

Comment

• Craig
              • Jan 2008
              • 6.X

Ok yeah. My site zooms with php 7.
              adktramping ~ my happy place.

"Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can't be perfect because we're not machines." ~ Sam Gardner.

Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Yes php 7 should you give noticeable performance improvements over earlier versions.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...