X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kensino
    • Sep 2007
    • 3.8.x

PHP/Apache

Is it important for someone that writes programs in PHP to know how to install PHP/Apache on a computer? I just use XAMPP to install them easily.

I downloaded PHP 5.3 and Apache 2.2 earlier but I can't figure out how to get them installed correctly on Windows.

I would think that installing these things and configuring them correctly would be more of an Administrators job, not a programmers job.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

I don't do any upgrades to my server software myself. (I know how to, but don't like to.) I hire this kid in England who does it for me whenever I decide it's time to upgrade my mysql or php or apache or the linux kernal. Putting it in his hands brings down my stress level.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Kensino
      • Sep 2007
      • 3.8.x

Well I'm learning PHP in college. I don't know much yet but I can write some basic programs. But I get confused when trying to install PHP or Apache. I think it's a bad thing that if I write PHP programs and I can't even install the software. But I don't know, maybe a lot of the people that write PHP are not experts in installing it.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

I don't think of the two things being related. Writing code is very different from installing the software, especially if you are having to compile stuff and then install it.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Kensino
          • Sep 2007
          • 3.8.x

That's good to know. At least I don't feel so bad at not understanding that completely. I'm sure I could install it if I needed to but it takes so long for me to work through the PHP and Apache documentation that it's not really worth me learning when I can just use XAMPP for development.

Comment

• Riasat
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Kensino
            Well I'm learning PHP in college. I don't know much yet but I can write some basic programs. But I get confused when trying to install PHP or Apache. I think it's a bad thing that if I write PHP programs and I can't even install the software. But I don't know, maybe a lot of the people that write PHP are not experts in installing it.
            true but it is always a good idea to learn it..you never know when you'll need it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...