X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sharg
    • Jun 2000

PHP vs Mod perl ?

Hi, here is what I was able to read on a web site:

"mod_perl and fastCGI applications run persistent in memory, so requests to a mod_perl application occur instantly, rather than via the traditional CGI application way, which requires the server to open perl, compile the program, run the query, and then send the output to the browser"

Is PHP also memory persistant ? How does it compares to mod perl in terms of performances ?

Thanks,
    Benj

[Edited by Benj on 09-10-2000 at 07:33 PM]
  • Mike Sullivan
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.6.x

If you have PHP compiled into Apache (running as a module), you do. If you look at your Apache mods, you'll be running mod_php

Comment

• Sharg
      • Jun 2000

Thanks for your answer. I'm great to learn that PHP can be memory persistant for direct and fast access.

I'm going to have my first dedicated server ever by the end of the month, and I'm starting to ask questions here and there

Getting a dedicated server is scary when you know nothing (or so few) about Linux !

Benj

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Benj

Getting a dedicated server is scary when you know nothing (or so few) about Linux !

Benj
        tell me about it i am a newbie still with my linux server... lucky for rackspace's webmin control panel
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Sharg
          • Jun 2000

Well, I will wait until I have the box before sending my storms of questions... right now I have not much questions

My site will serve Europe (mostly france) so I have not much interest in hosting it with rackspace, I will host it locally, and I don't know if they have something like webmin

Benj

Comment

• Sharg
            • Jun 2000

Oh, ED, I forgot to ask what is mod_php ? Is it the php version which is memory persistant ?

Benj

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Apr 2000
              • 3.6.x

Oh, ED, I forgot to ask what is mod_php ? Is it the php version which is memory persistant ?
              The exact same thing as mod_perl, but it's PHP (duh!)

Comment

• Michael
                • Apr 2000

Are you sure mod_php is the same as mod_perl only for PHP. I thought that Zend Cache was going to be the same thing as mod_perl... Mod_Perl applications are faster then PHP applications (I don't like Perl, but its true).
                Michael Bray

Comment

• Sharg
                  • Jun 2000

Why mod perl is faster ? Ed is saying that mod php is cached just like mod perl, so why is it faster ?

Oh, and by the way, does VBulletin supports cached mod PHP or is it independent ?

Benj

Comment

• Michael
                    • Apr 2000

I know that is what Ed is saying, its just that I thought that was wrong. I don't think Mod_PHP is the same as Mod_Perl. They are both compiled as a part of Apache, but I think Mod_PHP works differently to Mod_Perl.
                    Michael Bray

Comment

• George L
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • May 2000
                      • 3.8.x

Well, I will wait until I have the box before sending my storms of questions... right now I have not much questions

My site will serve Europe (mostly france) so I have not much interest in hosting it with rackspace, I will host it locally, and I don't know if they have something like webmin

Benj
                      well you do know rackspace.com has a London based NOC as well
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Sharg
                        • Jun 2000

Do they have a specific URL for the london NOC ?

Benj

Comment

• guru
                          • Sep 2000

Perl rules - PHP rules

i use to work with both php and perl and i like both.
                          both have their advantages and disadvantages. i say that is really stupid to try to compare both of them.

perl wasnt designed for webstuff. it's a regular expression language for simplifiying unix shellscripting. though it can be used also for webstuff but it wasnt designed for that, while PHP was designed ONLY to do webstuff...2 diffrent approaches.

Comment

• Sharg
                            • Jun 2000

i say that is really stupid to try to compare both of them.
                            I don't think its stupid sorry. Thanks.
                            Some people seems to be PHP fanatics while other are perl fanatics and I wanted to know why. Some are doing PHP buletting board system while others don't want to hear about php.

+ If PHP was designed specifically for the web, I don't see why some people are still (web) PERL fanatics.
                            The only reason I see is because they don't know PHP or don't have time to learn it.

Of course we are talking about web engineering here... I don't talk about perl for non web stuff.

Benj

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...