X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • parafieldtower
    • Oct 2005

VWD vs Dreamweaver

Hello,

Anyone knows how the Visual Web Developer Express compares to the Dreamweaver? I downloaded my friend's Dreamweaver page at www.amourarouse.com but for some reason when I opened it on VWD and view its source, the line numbers are not in sequence!

BTW, how did the table border get so thin?
  • Joseph
    • May 2003

Your link does not work.

I havent used vwd, however after reading a bit on it, it says that its a program that allows people to develop asp.net websites, can you add other extenstions to it? If not I think thats where dreamweaver would have its edge, since you can add asp and php, etc...

Comment

• deatheyes
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.6.x

vote Dreamweaver
      Optimize your website
      Cool Wallpaper
      All Android Rom

Comment

• peterska2
        • Oct 2003
        • 3.7.x

Nothing beats notepad imo, but then again I'm pretty old school and don't use these new fangled drag and drop authoring programmes unless I have to. (I got in bother at college last semester for coding a html page in notepad in less time than it took the rest of the class to open dreamweaver!)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne
          Nothing beats notepad imo, but then again I'm pretty old school and don't use these new fangled drag and drop authoring programmes unless I have to. (I got in bother at college last semester for coding a html page in notepad in less time than it took the rest of the class to open dreamweaver!)
          Textpad, Ultraedit and many other straight text editors beat Notepad.

I personally use Textpad and it includes Line Numbering, Syntax Highlighting (for about 100 languages), Advanced Search and Replace (e.g. regex), Macros and Contextual Tools, Spellchecking, Clip Libraries (insert chunks of common code in a single click), Browser view, Integration with HTMLTidy, multiple files open at once (had 283 open one day), large file support (largest I have every opened was a 3.5 GB database backup) and a lot more.

Though I also have Topstyle Pro 3, Homesite 5.5 and Dreamweaver 8 installed on my PC. I don't use them as often though. Textpad is in my startup group.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

How would you rate Textpad to NoteTab Light, or the Pro version.

I've been using NoteTab Light (because it's free) for editing php and other file extensions. And have found it to be good.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Going by the feature list on the Notepad Lite/Pro website, I would say that Textpad is Notepad Pro Super.

Have a language that you want to support Syntax Coloring for then I am sure Textpad has it. Need macros for advanced formatting? Like changing all special characters to the HTML entities or making sure all your HTML attributes are lower case? Yep, has it. Find and replace across multiple files? Yep. Spellchecking that ignores function names, HTML tags and other code but checks your strings? Yep. Need to compare two files? Textpad does it, no need to spend extra for file comparison.

Now mind you, I have been using Textpad since 1995 so I am a little biased in its performance. I have tried other text editors along the way but they always fell short. In 2000, I needed to do some manual work on a 3.5 GB SQL file to migrate it from SQL Server to Oracle. The programming editor for the company at the time was Ultra Edit. Everyone raved about it. When I tried to use it to edit the file, the workstation would crash. Windows NT 2000 machine with 2 processors and 8 GB of RAM. Textedit not only allowed me to open it and edit it but I could open a master and working copy for I had the default for reference. Searches in the file with regexes only took seconds. The department manager ordered 50 copies of Textpad the next day. It is my one must have application on any Windows Machine.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...