Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makaveli
    • Jul 2000

A good resource?

Does anyone know any good books or online tutorials for php?
  • Josh
    • Jun 2000

There are a couple of good books on PHP. The two that come to mind are "Professional PHP Programming" and "Core PHP Programming."
    Josh
    [email protected]

Comment

• vbsquare
      • May 2000

I'll soon have PHP Pocket Reference (O'Reilly) and Developing Web Applications with PHP. I'll let you know how they do.

Comment

• Menno
        • Apr 2000

All I can recomend is the manual on PHP.net

no matter how you twist and turn, it's still the best resource.
        - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

• Makaveli
          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Menno
          All I can recomend is the manual on PHP.net

no matter how you twist and turn, it's still the best resource.

Yea, I'd have to agree with you on that.

Comment

• vbsquare
            • May 2000

I just got the PHP Pocket Reference this morning, and looks pretty handy. Shame about the size though - you have to bend the pages to read it all!

Comment

• Aaron
              • May 2000

A MUST READ...

Sitepoint.com has an awesome tutorial on building database driven websites, it'll teach ya the basics of php and mysql and much much more, check it out here.

If your looking for a good book on the basics of php4, I recently bought a book called "Teach yourself php4 in 24 hours" and it helped me out a bit with a few questions I had on things beyond the scope of the sitepoint tutorial.

The manual on php.net is pretty good, but its really targeted at people with past programming experience. Anyway, hope some of this helps.
              Aaron
              aewebdesign

Comment

• Menno
                • Apr 2000

Everybody thinks php/mysql programs are an enigma. They really aren't
                What it comes down to is a bunc of SQL queries, and routines to handle those queries
                - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

• Aaron
                  • May 2000

Thats true Menno, but some people prefer to flip the lightswitch instead of bumping through the darkness. While it is possible to learn php/mysql from the work of others, and sometimes figuring out something for yourself teaches you things that a good book or tutorial can't, the purpose of the books and tutorials is to facilitate the learning process. Not only do you learn faster, but you also learn how to program efficiently so that your scripts accomplish the task in the best way possible.

Anyway, I didn't intend to get preachy or anything, just pointing out the other side of the story. I agree that their isn't a whole lot to php programming, and I've done my fair share of hacking my way through things. I've just learned that things are a lot easier if I pick my head up, take a look at my surroundings, and choose the path of least resistance.
                  Aaron
                  aewebdesign

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...