X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plateau
    • Apr 2005

frameset and search engine problems

hello,

if i use the frameset for my webiste called A.htm, and there are two frames, FrameA includes the index.php of vBulletin, FrameB is another.

then whatever the page displayed in FrameA, the title of the A.htm will never change.

what i think is: will it affect people to reach my site through the serach engine?

since in the vbulletin, the title of each pages will be changed accordingly, but within the frameset, it wont change anymore. but the information in the <title> a KEY for the search engines?

thank you!!!
  • Logicus
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by plateau
    hello,

if i use the frameset for my webiste called A.htm, and there are two frames, FrameA includes the index.php of vBulletin, FrameB is another.

then whatever the page displayed in FrameA, the title of the A.htm will never change.

what i think is: will it affect people to reach my site through the serach engine?

since in the vbulletin, the title of each pages will be changed accordingly, but within the frameset, it wont change anymore. but the information in the <title> a KEY for the search engines?

thank you!!!
    Use a Cascading Style Sheet (CSS); frames are overrated and outdated. The CSS Box (dev/span) Model suits most websites nicely. Server Side includes are also handy... I use an iframe for one of my websites, but that's an exception; I had a specific audience, didn't need to be worried about search engines, and was lazy.

WAIT A SECOND? Why not just change a template on vBulletin? That would be the logical course of action. Why use frames when you have the power of PHP at your beck and call?

Comment

• plateau
      • Apr 2005

thanks to Logicus

I want to embed a musicbox which could be shown on each of the vBulletin pages while user is going through the BBS. the musicbox is written by HTML, that's why i thought about using frameset, cause that is the only way i know, for keeping the musicbox alive and continuously playing through the BBS pages.

any better way to do it? sorry i am new to CSS.

thankS!

Comment

• Logicus
        • Mar 2004

I once was making plans to integrate Magnatune.com's World Music radio into my website; I had in the header a little icon where user's could click, and this would activate an external program to play the music. I was also going to create a module in vBadvanced CMPS where users could regulate their selections based on connection speeds, not to mention specific musical tastes, but like everything else, I got sidetracked and circumstances changed.

Therefore, my experience leads me to believe that you should opt for a user-hyperlink-activated external music program set to an online radio station or something along those lines. It depends on the circumstances. Typically, however, I associate background music with newbies, although background music can work well on certain music and flash websites for differing reasons.

Comment

• yuppy
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by plateau
          hello,

thank you!!!
          In my opinion, you can use the iframe and the JavaScript to realize your idea. Put iframeA on A.htm to show your vbulletin pages and write your musicbox code in A.htm, Then add some JavaScript code in your vbulletin template code at an appropriate position like follows:
          HTML Code:
          <body onLoad = "top.document.title = document.title;">
          This method can work exactly on firefox1.0.6, I think it may help you.

Comment

• Logicus
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by yuppy
            In my opinion, you can use the iframe and the JavaScript to realize your idea. Put iframeA on A.htm to show your vbulletin pages and write your musicbox code in A.htm, Then add some JavaScript code in your vbulletin template code at an appropriate position like follows:
            HTML Code:
            <body onLoad = "top.document.title = document.title;">
            This method can work exactly on firefox1.0.6, I think it may help you.
            But I personally wouldn't know if search engines would like this. Usually, iframes depend on target=otherframe.html, but the overall URL doesn't change. Search engines look for page, content, page, content... they have no way of identifying hypothetical pages based on target equals, because they only list one set of information per page. You have one index.html that will be indexed by search engines; the other pages will be separated out into respective pages, I would assume. Of course, if you integrate the iframe into your vBulletin, and then set all of the URL's to target the index rather than the other frame, you can manage, except that your iframe would generate everytime, as well as your music box, which means you'd be sunk!

The only option that I imagine working that doesn't activate an external program (visibly) is to use a popup. Believe it or not, there are a lot of benign popups out there, but frankly, popup blockers don't tend to know the difference. So you're sunk there too.

Comment

• plateau
              • Apr 2005

Big thanks to Logicus and Yuppy, yes, i spent these two days on finding a way to solve it, but no perfect solutions obtained.

I also thought about a popup musicbox, however as Logicus said, the popup blockers rise a new problem. maybe we can put a notice on index page to tell user dont block the musicbox.

It seems that there is not a new web technology which works like frameset but overcomes its weakness. maybe the concept of Layers can be further developed to enhence the current webpage abilities. actually, a client programme would be better for an online society, cause we can build what we want at the client side.

right....................

To provide an external link on the indexpage is an external good idea, however it makes it lack of flexibility because we cannot control what music to be played. anyway, if we can provide a list of links on the page, so the users can choose what they would like to listen, that sounds good.

Comment

• Logicus
                • Mar 2004

It's typically bad to force a user to listen to music; an external link provides some flexibility. Consider magnatune.com.... world music! Using such a link would usually qualify as bandwidth stealing, except that there are (unobtrusive) advertisements for supporting Magnatune in between musical pieces. Of course, the needs of your website are dicated by its circumstances, which I have no way of ascertaining: it could be an anime website or a philosophy cafe.

Comment

• plateau
                  • Apr 2005

well, i ll try.

thanks mate.

Comment