Upgrading php3 to php4 what am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M. Libbert
    • Aug 2000

Upgrading php3 to php4 what am I missing?

My host moved me to a new server that has php4 instead of php3

They did what I believe was a fresh install of vB 1.15 (as I had to remove the install script to access the admin area) and inserted my database and templates. All of my files have the php extension and when you go to my forum everything looks normal

However, all of my navigation links still has php3 in the URL which returns takes the user to a file not found page. However, if you edit the URL in the browser window it takes you to the right place, which indicates to me that everything is working right just not the paths.
    The DVD Coupon Post
  • RJ
    • Oct 2000

This has happened to me, as well, and it's the only reason I haven't switched to PHP4 yet.

Anyone?

Comment

• M. Libbert
      • Aug 2000

RJ
      I figured it out on my own. Everything that I mentioned above was done, but then I had to go into the templates inside the control panel and whenever php3 appeared in the Template I had to delete the three. It is working normally now, but it was a big pain in the butt to implement. I spend a couple of hours looking through all of those templates.

I am sure I will get flamed for the next part, but I am going to say it anyway because I think it is something that needs to be said. There is a lot of UBB bashing that goes on in this forum. One thing I can say about say about UBB that I can’t say about vB, my support questions were always answered within 24 hours of being posted in their support forum. There were even a couple of times that I could not figure out something on my own, and one of the Moderators over there dropped everything they were working on a fixed my BBS for free. I am not saying I expect someone here to drop everything to help me with my problems, but I think 24 hours is a reasonable time frame for support questions being answered. In the months I have been here I have seem some of the simplest new to vB questions that probably 75% of us in here could answer go unanswered for days, and yes I did answer some of them myself. If there are not sufficient community resources that will allow most support questions to be answered with in a reasonable amount of time I suggest that an extensive FAQ be set-up.
      Last edited by M. Libbert; Fri 2 Mar '01, 11:08am.
      The DVD Coupon Post

Comment

• JimF
        • May 2000

M. Libbert, I understand your concern, but the fact is, 98% of support requests *are* answered within 24 hours, most within much less than that.

This is the PHP Coding forum, not the "vBulletin Support Forum". Therefore, it is checked less frequently, and not visited by as many users. In the future, if you have a vBulletin Support oriented question, please post it in the applicable vBulletin Support forum, not the PHP Coding forum.

Regards,

-jim

Comment

• RJ
          • Oct 2000

Unfortunately, that fix doesn't work on my end. I installed a 'fresh' board using .php files only (I didn't overwrite the php3 files), creating a 'dummy' database for the new install, and after the install was finished, I changed the database name in config.php to read from the old database. No luck.

I am sure I will get flamed for the next part, but I am going to say it anyway :snip:
          I *personally* find people extremely helpful in this forum. Sometimes, it does take awhile to get an answer, but I've been lurking this forum for about five months (on a daily basis), and I've found that not getting a response is the exception rather than the rule. I've also noticed that regular members (not just mods and admins) are willing to 'jump in' around here, and help others. A lot of them do go the extra mile.

I purchased a UBB license, used it for a month, discovered VB, and I haven't looked back. I'm not one of the people who is bashing UBB. I've used their product, and yes, it has some good qualities, but VB gives me the functionality I need, whereas UBB does not. That's simply my preference. When I first purchased UBB, I put in support requests on the scriptkeeper forums, and I found that it generally took them the same amount of time to reply as the VB staff does. No more, no less.

Considering that a large number of posts are being made on this forum every day, it's also easy for a thread to get bumped down and missed. That's why I simply bumped it back up.

I'm not flaming you. It's just my opinion.

Comment

• Susan
            • May 2000

RJ, I think you'll still have to go into the templates and switch over the php3's to php's. The reason I say this is because the templates are stored in the database and so the php3's are still there when you restore the board from your backup.

Comment

• Mas*Mind
              • Jun 2000

I still wonder why there's not made a $phpextension variable....

This way there isn't needed to be several zip-instances with different php-extensions....And it would solve this problem...

Comment

• RJ
                • Oct 2000

Thank you both for the speedy response!

One odd thing I discovered - purely by accident - was that if you still have the 'page not found' errors (due to the php/php3 inconsistencies), but upgrade to VB beta 2 on that same database, it will work again. Something to do with the database changes, maybe?

I'll still check out the templates, though.

Thanks again!

Comment

• M. Libbert
                  • Aug 2000

It appears that my announcement feature no longer works since upgrading anybody want to venture a guess as what I missed?
                  The DVD Coupon Post

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 3.6.x

Probably posts -- announcements only show up if there are posts.

Comment

• M. Libbert
                      • Aug 2000

If you just mean there has to be posts in the individual forums, there are plenty of those.

The DVD Coupon Post

Comment

• M. Libbert
                        • Aug 2000

I found out what is. I left the field for how long the announcement should run blank. When I went back to edit that announcement it had inserted this date.

1969-12-31 19:00:00

I do appreciate the quick reply. I also think I overacted above and I am sorry for that. At the time I posted that I had an intense headache from looking through all of those templates.
                        The DVD Coupon Post

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...