X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tobiu
    • Sep 2002

question about new password encoding in v3

hello together,

for a customer, i developed a web-based-system, which worked together with his vBulletin user-table. Since upgrading from version 2 to 3, the encoding of the passwords in his database has changed and i was not able to find any comments in the support-forums.

do you know how the encoding works in v3?

example: in v2 the password "42938585" was saved md5-encoded as "ad5344bbe9201d882d87545de132da3a". after upgrading it changed to "926b812bbdcacef2fc7b2d51583a4ff3".

Because md5-coded passwords can not be decodet clearly, it should be an extra modification from "ad5344bbe9201d882d87545de132da3a" to "926b812bbdcacef2fc7b2d51583a4ff3".

Thanks for your help, tobiu
    Last edited by tobiu; Wed 31 Mar '04, 12:58am.
  • MarcHanlon
    • Nov 2001

I heard that they use a key of some description to generate the passwords. i.e:

Code:
     $pass = md5($pass . $key);
    Or something to that effect. You should probably take a look at the VB3 source files and see if you can find the key. A search through all files for the md5 function should help speed things up. Sorry, I don't have VB3 so I can't do this for you.
    Marc Hanlon
    Rushland.net

Comment

• daemon
      • Jun 2003
      • 3.5.x

It actually works like this:

PHP Code:
      $password md5(md5($plaintext_password) . $salt); 
      The salt is stored in the database as it's own field.
      Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• andysmith
        • Dec 2003
        • 3.0.0 Gamma

I guess if you were moving away from vBulletin that would be a bit of a pain, you'd have to mod the forum that you were moving to so it would use a salt column on the DB.

Comment

• JulianD
          • Mar 2002
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by andysmith
          I guess if you were moving away from vBulletin that would be a bit of a pain, you'd have to mod the forum that you were moving to so it would use a salt column on the DB.
          good question. How would i do it.
          ~ LANeros.com ~

Comment

• daemon
            • Jun 2003
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by JulianD
            good question. How would i do it.
            Just like andysmith said... you'd have to modify the forum software so it has a salt table and so that it would salt the login form.
            Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...