X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichM
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.0.x

ServerMatrix vs EV1Servers for Xeons

Which would you say is the best for an Xeon?

EV1Servers offer:
    IBM Cloud with Red Hat offers market-leading security, enterprise scalability and open innovation to unlock the full potential of cloud and AI.

ServerMatrix offer:

And:

EV1 offer SCSI disks, whilst ServerMatrix offer ATA/100 disks.. Though ServerMatrix do supply you with faster CPU's and they also give you 1Gb of DDRAM ECC as standard.

This is not a EV1 vs ServerMatrix on the whole, it is between these 2 server options.

Any opinions?
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

I am kind of suprised that those nice dedicated servers are 10mbit and not 100mbit connections. (at least for sMatrix)

Comment

• RichM
      • Jan 2003
      • 4.0.x

On the second package they do chuck in a 100mbit connection. On the first you can pay an additional $10 a month to have it changed from 10mbit to 100mbit.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by floris
        I am kind of suprised that those nice dedicated servers are 10mbit and not 100mbit connections. (at least for sMatrix)
        You can get a 100 mbit connection on any machine at Server Matrix.

Personally, I went with Server Matrix for my new machine. Was tired of waiting for EV1.net to even have any available servers. Plus their lack of support was a big turn off. At least with Server Matrix, I have their basic support just in case I need it.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TalkMilitary
          • Mar 2003

I had a dual xeon with EV1 for about a year. Our servers are now at Servermatrix. The servermatrix server performs noticably better that the EV1 server. With the same clients, this particular server has lower loads, and is much quicker.

Your results may vary, this is just my observation.
          Glenn

Comment

• hypedave
            • Nov 2001

I'd go with ServerMatrix. I have a couple of personal owned server's colocated at The Planet wich is like up the street from my house, and two servers with Server Matrix. Their support has been pretty top notch. Some of their techs have gone above and beyond.

But looking at the two Xeon Server Plans unless you just really have to have a 100mb upload port then stick with 10mb. If you really just have to choose the 100mb uplink then make sure you order Flood Guard Protection! Bandwidth gets eatin up quicker when attacked on a 100mb port than on a 10mb port.

Comment

• CeleronXT
              • Mar 2002

EV1Servers bowed down and supported the terrorists. Pure evil. Go with ServerMatrix.
              "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
              "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
              Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Regs
                • May 2001
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                EV1Servers bowed down and supported the terrorists. Pure evil. Go with ServerMatrix.
                Any other rhetoric you want to spew today? Does it not make business sense to protect your customers in the event of the SCO winning it's case, no matter how remote the possibility?

~Regs.

Comment

• CeleronXT
                  • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Regs
                  Any other rhetoric you want to spew today? Does it not make business sense to protect your customers in the event of the SCO winning it's case, no matter how remote the possibility?

~Regs.
                  No. It only spreads further FUD and gets your server slashdotted. The only reason to buy it is to sue SCO after its decided in court that they didn't really need the license, but SCO won't have any money left by the time it gets to that point anyway. Great waste of $699 per server there.
                  "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                  "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

• Regs
                    • May 2001
                    • 4.2.X

Great waste of $699 per server there
                    Did you even read the link you posted?

How much do you think a lawsuit would cost in the end? If the true figure is way more than the "license" paid in this case, well, it's a no-brainer isn't it?

The fact is, you have no clue what money was paid. Neither do I. At the end of the day, EV1 has protected it's business and it's customers no matter the outcome.

~Regs.

Comment

• c0bra
                      • Apr 2001

The fact is, you have no clue what money was paid. Neither do I. At the end of the day, EV1 has protected it's business and it's customers no matter the outcome.
                      ~Regs.
                      One dollar is too much IMHO. In any event, money is not the only issue here. A large hosting company like ev1servers licensing with SCO gives some skewed legitimacy to their claims, and will surely see more companies start thinking about bowing towards a settlement now. I wont be helping to finance the SCO lawsuits any longer by hosting any servers with ev1.

Comment

• CeleronXT
                        • Mar 2002

EV1 has protected it's business and it's customers no matter the outcome.
                        And the customers seem really overjoyed by it too.

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                          If I wanted to run Linux, I would get a Unix license from SCO first. It contains Unix System V code and removing it from newer will never repair the damage caused by letting everyone in the world download it so Linux minus well become property of SCO.

Comment

• RichM
                            • Jan 2003
                            • 4.0.x

Thanks for making this thread go off topic guys.

This thread should be closed...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...