X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sijo
    • Jul 2003

eBay / PayPal screwed me!

Hello everybody,

a couple of days ago, I decided to pay my eBay invoice through PayPal. It was not due or anything and they actually charge my credit card automatically, but then I saw this PayPal link and thought it would be nice...and why not.

However, somehow I paid twice for the same invoice! I got two e-Mail’s confirming that my money was taken; both times the exact same amount and the same invoice id, but a different transaction number. The history in my PayPal account confirms that

You probably would think that they credited my eBay account twice...but they didn't! It just says 0.00, even though I paid twice

I emailed PayPal, but they just send something through a kind of auto responder telling me that they can't refund my money once it has been sent and that I have to contact the person I sent the money and that they would refund me. But that's BS! First of all, the email address was hidden, second, this account seems to be controlled through a computer, because my payment was accepted immediately...and doesn't eBay own PayPal anyway. eBay doesn't respond to my e-mail’s, as always

So what am I supposed to do? Shall I just shorten my credit card bill and tell my bank that I only paid once and that it was some sort of error? But then, PayPal would get on me, I'm afraid...

Does someone of you guys have any idea or encountered something similar?

Thanks
    Last edited by Sijo; Mon 23 Feb '04, 7:45am.
  • Kathy
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

If you check through the paypal site and watch carefully...you will find a phone number you can call. THey have hidden it carefully as I suspect they would rather get an email (which is also a good idea...send them copies of both emails with the transaction IDs. etc.)

I have been a paypal customer/user for 6 years and have been nothing but pleased with their service. Give them the info: Your name, paypal account, email addresses used, etc...and the evidence of receipts....and be polite and I'm sure if there is an error, they will fix it.
    Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Sijo
      • Jul 2003

thanks Kathy! I'm trying this right now I'll keep you guys posted...
      Last edited by Sijo; Mon 23 Feb '04, 8:58am.

Comment

• Tiberius
        • Jan 2004
        • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

If you accidentally click the "Send Money" button twice, it will chagre the transaction twice, both with a different ID number. According to the PayPal FAQ, you have to get the person you sent money to, to refund the second payment.

Comment

• Sijo
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Tiberius
          If you accidentally click the "Send Money" button twice, it will chagre the transaction twice, both with a different ID number. According to the PayPal FAQ, you have to get the person you sent money to, to refund the second payment.
          That’s exactly what the person on the phone told me as well. However, I would be surprised if someone but a computer actually checks the e-mail’s that are sent to US-eBay-Fees AT eBay DOT com . Why else did they hide it in the first place...it's like the other mail’s you get from eBay...they always tell you not to reply because it goes right into their trash can...I guess they are getting to many spam emails this way...

Well, we'll see

Comment

• filburt1
            • Feb 2002

Just like Kathy, I have never had a bad experience with PayPal for the two years or more that I have been using them. When I had a dispute with Buy.com who took forever to credit me and blamed my "bank" (really PayPal in this case because I used my debit card), I found a free number to call with immediate and helpful support.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Kathy
              If you check through the paypal site and watch carefully...you will find a phone number you can call. THey have hidden it carefully as I suspect they would rather get an email (which is also a good idea...send them copies of both emails with the transaction IDs. etc.)

I have been a paypal customer/user for 6 years and have been nothing but pleased with their service. Give them the info: Your name, paypal account, email addresses used, etc...and the evidence of receipts....and be polite and I'm sure if there is an error, they will fix it.
              Exactly! I have been receiving great service from PayPal since the start of my account. It is eBay I am pleased in not using

Comment

• IDN
                • Apr 2002
                • 3.5.x

Just like the rest i've had no problem with them for the time i've been with them.

Kathy, I don't see how the phone number is "hidden" It's very easy to find?

PayPal.com > Help > Contact Us > Help By Phone > http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-phone

I don't find that very hard?
                Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• filburt1
                  • Feb 2002

Do they have an 800 number, too, or did I just call that number instead...?
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• IDN
                    • Apr 2002
                    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by filburt1
                    Do they have an 800 number, too, or did I just call that number instead...?
                    You have to be logged in to see the 1-888 number

PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you from 4:00 AM PST to 10:00 PM PST every day.

Call us toll-free at: 1-888-221-1161

We may only discuss an account with the account-holder. Please have the following information available when you call:

* Your telephone number
                    * Your email address
                    * The last 4 digits of your credit card or bank account
                    registered with PayPal

For security reasons, we must verify the above details before discussing any account-specific information.
                    Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• Fred
                      • Jun 2000
                      • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

(402) 935-7733

Comment

• Kathy
                        • May 2000
                        • 3.8.x

Ahhhh, well they made it easier then.

Last year I needed to call them. The last time I had called was probably 5 years ago when their number was on the main page, easy to find. Last year I hunted and hunted, clicked and clicked until I uncovered it. Perhaps they restructed the "contact" information to make it easier to grab the phone and get help.

Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Fred
                          (402) 935-7733
                          1-(402) 935-7733
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

where's Damon when ya need him
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Sijo
                              • Jul 2003

well, PayPal won't help So I think it's up to eBay...and their support sucks! You can feel happy if they even send you an auto generated message

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...