• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

New Computer

I'm planning on buying a new computer.

Im going dual processor again ( i used to have one) and i havent decided between Xeons or Mps or Opterons(sp?).

And regardless of which i do decided on i still need a nice motherboard to go with it.

My local stores site has gone offline and that was my major source of imput, i could build and customize.

But im looking for Suggestions feedback and any imput you may have
  • noppid
    • May 2003

I dunno what models they have in particular, but I think most would agree, ASUS is a great Mobo. You can prolly choose one to match the processor of your choice at their site.

Good Luck
    Computer Help Forum
    An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

I've heard alot of positive things about ASUS, i think ill also be looking at Tyan. as ive used their products before and had good success, unless someone cal tell me why not to.

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Faranth

Im going dual processor again ( i used to have one) and i havent decided between Xeons or Mps or Opterons(sp?).

And regardless of which i do decided on i still need a nice motherboard to go with it.

My local stores site has gone offline and that was my major source of imput, i could build and customize.

If the Opteron is the same as the Itanium, then it tanked and not worth the price. There is no reason to get a 64-bit processor right now.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.8.x

Asus and Tyan for MB's, are both good server choices,. I would say go dual Xeon's

Problem is there limit to 533 FSB, you might want to wait a month or so..
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Well im not doing it right now, im looking at doing this over the next 3-6 months depending on my cash flow

I know the MP serries used to toast the Xeons, but i havent heard anything about that recnetly, the last thing i read was about how the dual 1.2 MP's (which i used to have a set of) totaly destroyed dual 1.7 Xeons, but i do know that was awhile ago.

Comment

• ShiningArcanine
              • Feb 2003

If you are considering building a computer, I'd wait a little bit if I was you considering a dual Xeon motherboard based on the i875P (canterwood) chipset which supports next generation Xeons (800MHz FSB) is coming out soon. The site that had the article is down at the moment so I can't link to it yet.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Please drop me the link once the site comes alive again

Is there much of an advantage of going with SATA (serial ide) over what i just have now, which are 7200PRM IDE drives.

Comment

• Valkyre
                  • Jun 2001

I'm a rabit ABIT fan. The IT7 series are amazing. I'd recommend any of those. (The mose expensive, the better!)
                  Need a job done? Get in contact with me and we'll see what we can work out.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

Is there much of an advantage of going with SATA (serial ide) over what i just have now, which are 7200PRM IDE drives.
                    Only that SATA drives always run in serial mode because there can only be one device per channel. PATA (standard IDE drives) drives also run in serial mode when they are alone on a channel, but they switch to parallel mode when you add a second drive to the same channel. So SATA has no real advantage over a PATA drive that is alone on a channel.

But of course everything is switching to SATA, so if you want to keep up with the times then you should get SATA.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

You changed your name!

Well id rather not change over unless i see a major advantge, i already have 80gb (small now adays) between my two main drives.

Comment

• ShiningArcanine
                        • Feb 2003

You changed your name!

Well id rather not change over unless i see a major advantge, i already have 80gb (small now adays) between my two main drives.
                        The WD Raptors are designed for speed and beat 10,000RPM and sometimes even 15,300RPM SCSI drives in benchmarks. You might want to look into them. I recently switched to the 36.7GB Raptor (benchmarks indicate 101Mbit/sec burst, 55Mbit/sec sustained) and my computer flies. From what I have seen in benchmarks, the 74GB Model (command queuing, FBR, faster access times, etc) can transfer 75Mbit/sec sustained and can be 50% faster than its predecessor in the benchmarks.

By the way, since I keep going on and on about benchmarks, here they are:

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                          • Dec 2000
                          • 3.6.x

I want SCSI drives.

Comment

• ShiningArcanine
                            • Feb 2003

The 74GB Raptor (has several improvements over the 36.7GB model) beats the best SCSI drives in most benchmarks and is cheaper. Not to mention many people are saying it is made out of SCSI parts. Why go with SCSI when you can get something cheaper and in most cases better?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                              • Dec 2000
                              • 3.6.x

Because SCSI doesn't hit the CPU.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...