One Licence, One VB DB, 4 sites forums, 4 domains?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mac Write
    • Oct 2001
    • 4.2.x

One Licence, One VB DB, 4 sites forums, 4 domains?

Since I can't afford to pay for VB for my new site I am launching and (to prevent the dead forum syndrom)my person site which will need forums. I was thinking of using my one license and have all of my sites one one VB with sub forums for each site and a separate style. I know this is allowed.

What I would like to do is have a seperate set of the files for each forums.sitename.com which will go to the exact same VB DB. the reason I want to do to it this ways so that each site looks like it has it's own forum without cloaking forums.sitename.com. I would modify the index.php file so it displays the sub forum for that site.

Can I do this? If I can't I don't know which site to centralize the forums on. the main forum page will be an enterance to all the forums for each site.

I just want to not have the default forum URL be forums.mainsite.com/index.php?forumid=xx. U have seen one Mac forum do this with 2 different domains same forum just different looks.

The difference for me, is I want each site to have a clean look enterance and URL if possible.

Also as each sites forums gets popular enough [B}then[/B] I will get a separate license for the site. So don't worry I am not trying to cheat Jelsoft out of revenue.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mac Write; Sun 25 Jan '04, 5:54am.
  • Ionsurge
    • Nov 2002
    • 3.8.x

There is a pre-sales questions area for things like this.

Comment

• Mac Write
      • Oct 2001
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Ionsurge
      There is a pre-sales questions area for things like this.
      I already own VB and have been running it on one site for over 2 years now.

Comment

• filburt1
        • Feb 2002

Separate site of files = multiple licenses, regardless of other circumstances. You do get a slight discount when buying in quantity.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Mac Write
          What I would like to do is have a seperate set of the files for each forums.sitename.com which will go to the exact same VB DB.
          This would be more than one instance of the software:

vBulletin licence grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each licence purchased. Each licence may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate licence is required.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Ras Masta
            • Jan 2004
            • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            This would be more than one instance of the software:

http://www.vbulletin.com/license.html
            What about a TEST VB? That's allowed right? if it's not public and only for testing hacks?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

What I would like to do is have a seperate set of the files for each forums.sitename.com which will go to the exact same VB DB. the reason I want to do to it this ways so that each site looks like it has it's own forum without cloaking forums.sitename.com. I would modify the index.php file so it displays the sub forum for that site.
              You cannot use multiple copies of the files for different sites even if they point to the same database.

The only time you can use multiple copies of the files is if it is the same website using load-balanced servers.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• hunterb14
                • Apr 2003
                • 3.0.0 Gamma

Originally posted by Ras Masta
                What about a TEST VB? That's allowed right? if it's not public and only for testing hacks?
                You are allowed a test vB board as long as it is private and isnt available to the public.
                Sportstwo.com

Comment

• Mac Write
                  • Oct 2001
                  • 4.2.x

I was sleep deprived when I wrote that. something else I was looking at was one set of files and then have a Server Alias for forums.domai2.com etc. is that allowed? and can I make it so when it comes from that URL it auto goes to the right sub forum?

Comment

• Kathy
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Let's see if this helps?

I have one vb license installed on one domain: abc.com/forums

I have several other domains that relate to the forum categories of my one forum.

And so, I altered the styles of those forum categories and put up domains main pages that link within the forum categories on the other domain.

Example: I have xyz.com which relates to the xyz forum categories of my forum on abc.com. I match the style of the xyz forum to match the xyz forums...and have a link that takes you from xyz.com into that forum on abc.com.

Also works for my mno.com and forums that match on the abc.com forums for mno forum categories

and rst.com linking to the abc.com forum with matching style for rst forums.

I do this.

I have one main database and one set of files installed on one domain.

But I have 3 other domains that are content specific to several of the forum categories. I use "latest posts" from their forums on the main pages of those domains...and links that contain style ids so that when someone clicks in and registers, they will be viewing the style that matches the content of the domain...even though they are on my one database on the original domain.

Whew! Is that clear as mud?
                    Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

I was sleep deprived when I wrote that. something else I was looking at was one set of files and then have a Server Alias for forums.domai2.com etc. is that allowed? and can I make it so when it comes from that URL it auto goes to the right sub forum?
                      Yes, this is possible as long as there is only one installation of vBulletin.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mac Write
                        • Oct 2001
                        • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Yes, this is possible as long as there is only one installation of vBulletin.
                        Now is their a way to get it to go to x forum? example forums.macwrite.com to 40 and forums.bigt.ca to forum id 50 etc? without using a redirect etc? I want it to look like the site has it's own forums to some degree.

Comment

• Kathy
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

Don't you have links on the pages of forums.bigt.ca and forums.macwrite.com? Make the links go to the right place and use the correct styleID in the url.
                          Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

You would have to use some sort of redirect either mod-rewrite or directly in the vBulletin code. You can discuss that at vBulletin.org though.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...