X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Asendin
    I do burn MP3's all the time, i need that feature, i dont encode that much though, in CANADA there is no law against burning them for personal use, we actually pay taxes on the media to do so.
    So i find nothing wrong with it myself..
    Actually, it is legal to make copies of songs and media in the United States as long as you own a license for them. This happened in the 1970's when Sony and other media producers were sued by the RIAA and the MPAA for selling blank media. The United States Supreme Court ruled that blank media was legal and that consumers were allowed to make personal copies of music and movies so long as they purchased the right to use those movies. This is commonly done through purchasing an Album or Movie on media in the first place. However, you can only use one copy of the work at a time. This is how iTunes, the New Napster and other services are able to operate now.

Legally, the problem comes when people start copying works that they didn't pay for and/or selling those copies.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• yetdog111
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by squall14716
      Want me to say this again? Winamp 5 IS Winamp 2.
      Except WA2 fires up in about half a second on my XP2000+ machine w/ 512 RAM, whereas WA5 dogs and takes anywhere between 5 and 10 seconds.

Bloat just like WA3.
      Matthew Yette
      [email protected]
      antsmarching.org - People in every direction

Comment

• stark427
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by yetdog111
        Except WA2 fires up in about half a second on my XP2000+ machine w/ 512 RAM, whereas WA5 dogs and takes anywhere between 5 and 10 seconds.

Bloat just like WA3.
        Same here.. with my PIII - 700 / 256 Ram

So, until I upgrade my PC to a P4 - 3GHz and more... I will stick with Winamp 2.x

Comment

• JAWilliams
          • Mar 2001
          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

or you could just use CDEX available from download.com to rip to MP3 and then use whatever program you like to play them. Personally I have stopped used Winamp though, cos its slow

Comment

• Ksilebo
            • May 2001

Its funny, people blame software for slowness rather than their reluctance to upgrade thier machines...

I've always used Exact Audio Copy with LAME to encode MP3s, so no need to buy anything. EAC does everything for you.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
            http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

• IDN
              • Apr 2002
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Ksilebo
              Its funny, people blame software for slowness rather than their reluctance to upgrade thier machines...
              Yeah right, My 2Ghz machine with 1GB ram and all the latest does the same thing, i think the software doesn't work right. Not the other way around

And WA5 is too bloated, it's not simple like WA2, it's sad i have to use all the older software because company's think that bloat is progress.
              Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                • May 2002
                • 1.1.x

How is it bloat when you can de-select and not install everything you don't need when installing it?

It was funny when people where calling WA3 bloatware but yet you could uninstall the main core.

Comment

• Mr. X
                  • May 2001

Originally posted by stark427
                  Same here.. with my PIII - 700 / 256 Ram

So, until I upgrade my PC to a P4 - 3GHz and more... I will stick with Winamp 2.x

Not here. P3 800/512mb ram. I just launched WA5 and it opened in less than 2 seconds. I even have a heavy CPU DSP plugin that launches automatically with WA.
                  forums: pcfx.cc
                  gallery: here

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                    • May 2002
                    • 1.1.x

Let me say this: I have a 1.1 GHz Celeron, and WA5 is taking up 00 CPU and about 6.5 MB RAM and is going lightning fast.

EDIT: Now it is jumping between 00 and 01 CPU and is holding steady at 1.8 MB RAM. Bloat!?! Maybe you should use a classic skin.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                      • May 2002
                      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by croft
                      I stopped using winamp when version 3 came out.
                      That was not a good player at all.
                      Im using quintesental player now. MUCH better then winamp and can do all the stuff winamp do without having to pay for it.
                      http://www.quinnware.com
                      Winamp is free you cretinous moron. The only thing that isn't free is ripping to MP3, because Nullsoft has to pay per-copy to do it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by IDN
                        And WA5 is too bloated, it's not simple like WA2, it's sad i have to use all the older software because company's think that bloat is progress.
                        AOL does this to all of their software. Look at ICQ, AIM, Netscape which came before. Heck, even their connection software is like 80 Megabytes now. Takes as much space as Microsoft Word. Now they have done it to Winamp.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
                          • May 2002
                          • 1.1.x

I don't think so, Wayne. Most of the added filesize is due to the freeform skinning engine that was added in Winamp 5. It has to load Wasabi as a plugin for modern skins. If you want it to go at a good speed, use classic skins, damnit.

Comment

• Mr. X
                            • May 2001

Let me say this: I have a 1.1 GHz Celeron, and WA5 is taking up 00 CPU and about 6.5 MB RAM and is going lightning fast.

EDIT: Now it is jumping between 00 and 01 CPU and is holding steady at 1.8 MB RAM. Bloat!?! Maybe you should use a classic skin.
                            Yeah, perhaps it takes longer with fancy 3.x skins. I never really saw what was great about MD3 and many of the new skins, so just use my favorite 2.x skin.
                            forums: pcfx.cc
                            gallery: here

Comment

• IDN
                              • Apr 2002
                              • 3.5.x

I sill use AIM 4.4 (Mainly because it uses logging) and AOL 9.0 "optimized" has alot of bloat, i have to use it when i visit one of my family members.

Even VB3 is getting more "bloat" but that is what happens when software develop, you take the existing features and add more to it, making it "bloat".

But people like me don't like bloat and end up using the older versions with the bare minimum.
                              Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                                • Aug 2000

I don't think so, Wayne. Most of the added filesize is due to the freeform skinning engine that was added in Winamp 5. It has to load Wasabi as a plugin for modern skins. If you want it to go at a good speed, use classic skins, damnit.
                                Wouldn't know... Have never liked Winamp personally. The old classic skin was too confining for my needs and hard to click on controls with your arms in braces, like those worn with people who suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

Have always used Windows Media Player since its controls are more accessible.

Wayne Luke
                                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...