Any content management systems out there?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierguy
    • May 2003
    • 4.1.x

Any content management systems out there?

I love the way Vbulletin handles discussion forums, but are there any programs that you can use to manage lots of non-forum (static html) pages via a database?

I'm sick of dealing with static html files and I'd really like a database driven solution to deal with my non-forum pages.
  • hankster
    • Feb 2002

Google content management systems - there may be 100s of them available.

Comment

• HexOnxOnx
      • Apr 2003
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by pierguy
      I love the way Vbulletin handles discussion forums, but are there any programs that you can use to manage lots of non-forum (static html) pages via a database?

I'm sick of dealing with static html files and I'd really like a database driven solution to deal with my non-forum pages.
      Check out Miraserver. It will do everything you are asking. I have it running on my advice site in my signature. Completly custimizable look as well using templates. All database driven.
      http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

• IDN
        • Apr 2002
        • 3.5.x

I can vouch for miraserver, i've used it since .03 and it has evolved alot! I love it!
        Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• HexOnxOnx
          • Apr 2003
          • 3.7.x

Yep, lastest version is supposed to be out by the end of January!

Comment

• IDN
            • Apr 2002
            • 3.5.x

When i get my paycheck in feb, i'm going to pay my $30 fee to renew my account.

Comment

• MarkB
              • Apr 2001

Do you have any examples of a GREAT design using miraserver? Looks a bit plain for $160...

Comment

• Vile
                • Jul 2002
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by MarkB
                Do you have any examples of a GREAT design using miraserver? Looks a bit plain for $160...
                Miraserver is hyped up, it's certainly not all it's cracked up to be.
                Webmaster / Administrator
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

• IDN
                  • Apr 2002
                  • 3.5.x

Originally posted by MarkB
                  You can make the design anything you want it to be. It uses a template system, just like vBulletin.

Originally posted by Vile
                  Miraserver is hyped up, it's certainly not all it's cracked up to be.

Personally, i love it and haven't found any better.

Comment

• wrongful
                    • Apr 2003

I use and enjoy mambo

MamboServer is a project that aims to provide insightful hosting comparisons, reviews and guides to help webmasters.

Comment

• HexOnxOnx
                      • Apr 2003
                      • 3.7.x

It's the best that I have found. I would reccomend it to anyone. Creating a design with it takes editing ONE template only. As far as the design on my site, it's the first one that I really created on my own, I like it, it's simple and gets the job done as it should.

Comment

• MarkB
                        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by wrongful
                        I use and enjoy mambo

http://www.mamboserver.com
                        That's a nice piece of software! I've installed it and am trying it out now. Thanks for the link!

Comment

If I could get mambo to intregrate with vB 3 I would be a happy camper, right now im looking at something called story teller that intregrates with vB, im ganna install it today and see if it is any good.

Comment

• PBChannel
                            • Feb 2001
                            • 3.6.x

There are a ton of CMS's out there, and I've tried just about all of em..

Currently, I am testing Edit-X (www.edit-x.com) and Article Manager (www.interactivetools.com).

I've also tested the following:

ezPublish (www.ez.no)
                            Very nice system, but can also be quite complicated - the templating system is tedious and hard to understand. Also requires some modifications to the server.

Miraserver (www.miraserver.com)
                            Very nice system, support is good, but it wasn't what I was looking for in a CMS.

NePublisher (www.nelogic.com)
                            NePublish is a nice concept. I am currently running an earlier version of it on my site. However, the support is very lacking and it has a lot of bugs that take a LONG time to get fixed. Additionally, for what you get, the price is very high.

Mamboserver (www.mamboserver.com)
                            Didn't get a chance to use this one much, but I stopped using it after I realized it couldn't do what I wanted it to do.

PostNuke, PHPNuke, et. al.
                            These are nice programs but tend to be buggy and lack good support. They're good for a basic site or if you're looking for free software, but I wouldn't use them on a pro-level site.

There's a ton more out there...just do a search for "cms list" at google and it will give you sites that list the various CMS's out there.

As far as the database versions? I've been using databased CMS's for the past few years now and am considering the switch to HTML. Why? To cut down on process time. Additionally, search engine spiders tend to have problems indexing dynamically created pages.

Comment

• Kwak
                              • Jul 2003
                              • 4.2.X

I was looking for a CMS but with less feature, more like an ARticle management system.
                              I ended up using a blog software.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...