Have you ever closed down a successful community?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djnoz
    • May 2003

Have you ever closed down a successful community?

Has anyone here closed down a successful forum before?
    What were your reasons.. was it cost, arguments between staff, poor quality discussions, or were you just plain sick of it?

Did some of your members post nostalgic threads about it on other boards?
    Matt
    Avatar Generator - The ultimate avatar and banner generation tool. It's a Google Image search mashup.
    Christian Gaming - A forum for Christians who like video games.
  • f-a_org
    • Nov 2002

Yes, I had an argument with my host and they dropped me (and I had to threaten to sue to get a refund ).

It was a SNES community...

Comment

• Rapid Gaming
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by f-a_org
      Yes, I had an argument with my host and they dropped me (and I had to threaten to sue to get a refund ).

It was a SNES community...
      How many members/posts?

Comment

• f-a_org
        • Nov 2002

I can't remember how many posts exactley but over 50,000 and about 3000 members.
        I had gotten a few more after that when I merged with a site that didn't have a forum,
        The most popular topic on the community was EMU though o.O.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
          • May 2002
          • 1.1.x

Since I have never had an actual successful community, the answer is no, although I have shut down my own message board a number of times before.

Comment

• exasko
            • Oct 2003
            • 3.0.0 Beta 7

I hope my forum will grow to be successful and I see the only way I'd close it is if I have to, and that would be cause it got to big for me to afford...

Comment

• Tungsten
              • Jan 2002
              • 3.0.0 Beta 7

I've given considerable thought to shutting down my forum in the past after troublesome users nearly ruined the fun of it for me. My promise to myself has always been that when it stops being fun anymore, I'll shut it down or sell it off to someone else.

Thankfully I've never quite made it fully to that point yet.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                • May 2003

I haven't, but I know someone who has.

He shut it down for no reason at all.
                Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• noppid
                  • May 2003

We shut down a site in June with over 7000 members due to legal issues. That's all I'm going to say.
                  Computer Help Forum
                  An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

• HexOnxOnx
                    • Apr 2003
                    • 3.7.x

I shut down a board just after the first of the year with 3,000 members, 50,000 posts. It just wasn't fun anymore. I was sad for about a week after then I didn't miss it anymore. I still have it saved on the server that it ran on, all intact.
                    http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

• hypedave
                      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by djnoz
                      Has anyone here closed down a successful forum before?
                      What were your reasons.. was it cost, arguments between staff, poor quality discussions, or were you just plain sick of it?

Did some of your members post nostalgic threads about it on other boards?
                      I had to shut down my very first vbulletin forum mainly because of on going staff arguments, me and my co-admin put our foot down and wasnt taking any crap from the staff anymore, so you know the story when a faithful staff member leaves that other staff members and forum members like, there pretty much goes your whole site. I plan to open that forum back up early next year its been closed for bout a year now.

My other forum, I pretty much merged it with another one of my forums, some members stayed in the merge others went on seperate ways and still come around every now and then. I just didnt see a point in operating to forums that I was trying to give the same focus.

Members had gone to other forums that they swore up and down they would never go to. they started posting bad things about me wich I really dont care cause half of them barely knew the situation

I plan on reopening that forum as well, but definetly with a new focus. Other than those two all my other forums were forums I bought from admins ready to close them down.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...