What are they saying about vb3 (Gamma+) in other communities besides vb.com/vb.org

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    Okay, after running my disabled (firewall gotta love em) javascripts test, I can conclude this:

<snip>
    Now if there was an alternative way of getting to certain places would be helpful.
    As posted above by Scott, it is because your browser identifies itself as one which can handle the javascripts to PHP and yet it is off... 99% of all people who use a modern browser are not going to turn off javascript. If you use an older browser or Text based browser that identifies itself properly, then the code will work as designed.

Scott also mentioned he is looking for a fix for this as PHP can't tell whether you have javascript turned on in your browser or not.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Loony BoB
      • Sep 2003
      • 4.2.X

Hmm. Given what ManagerJosh has pointed out, how much work would a CP option be for "Javascript Enabled/Disabled"? Also, how would it affect the rest of vB's functions? Of course, that would still leave the problem for unregistered people not being able to change the option, I suppose.

On a sidenote: I just noticed something while replying to this. There's a huge gap between the 'Topic Review (Newest First)' bar and the posts from the thread itself when replying to a topic. Has this been highlighted yet? If not, well, there it is.

As an ex-admin of an IPB, I find it amusing that IPB users believe they have more features than vB. I must have missed something.
      Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums - An Online Community of Final Fantasy Fans
      Eyes on Final Fantasy (Site) - The Most In-Depth Final Fantasy Site Online

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Dec 2000

Wayne has given me an idea which might help solve this.

smallint to session table called usejs, when creating a new session
        ie. first time you go to a site after being logged out or away for more than the cookie timeout it will run a small check for JS and enable it for that session.

It will only break if someone turns off JS while browsing.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Loony BoB
          • Sep 2003
          • 4.2.X

That sounds reasonable enough.
          Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums - An Online Community of Final Fantasy Fans
          Eyes on Final Fantasy (Site) - The Most In-Depth Final Fantasy Site Online

Comment

• noppid
            • May 2003

We're hearing vbulletin.com is on it's knees for performance, the code must be bloated. Too bad
            Computer Help Forum
            An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

• Darkshines
              • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Faranth
              what features does invision have that vb doesnt?
              Were you being sarcastic? Unfortunately a lot of vB people take that sort of attitude, and then they say IPB users are "biased"

In any case, IPB does have a feature or two that vB3 doesn't (if you know where to look), but I'm sure you'd do a lot better to ask about them on their forums

Comment

• CeleronXT
                • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Darkshines
                Were you being sarcastic? Unfortunately a lot of vB people take that sort of attitude, and then they say IPB users are "biased"

In any case, IPB does have a feature or two that vB3 doesn't (if you know where to look), but I'm sure you'd do a lot better to ask about them on their forums
                Eh? I run one IPB myself on my UtopiaSoft site, and I haven't noticed it having anything that vB doesn't.
                "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                  • Dec 2000

Originally posted by noppid
                  We're hearing vbulletin.com is on it's knees for performance, the code must be bloated. Too bad
                  1.03 1.18 0.96

isn't really a server under heavy load. I'm currently looking through what I can to see if I can find the source of these problems.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Darkshines
                    • Apr 2002

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                    Eh? I run one IPB myself on my UtopiaSoft site, and I haven't noticed it having anything that vB doesn't.
                    You're only using v1.1.2. But as I said, this isn't the place for discussing it. I only brought it up because so many people here are continually posting messages to the contrary.

Comment

• CeleronXT
                      • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Darkshines
                      You're only using v1.1.2. But as I said, this isn't the place for discussing it. I only brought it up because so many people here are continually posting messages to the contrary.
                      Oh yeah, I meant to upgrade..

Anyways, you will find many messages contradicting the truth at both boards.
                      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• MasterMac
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Faranth
                        what features does invision have that vb doesnt?
                        Don't know if anyone has linked to it already, but Matt (the IPB developer) posted something about that here (it's the second to last paragraph in the post)

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                          • May 2000
                          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by MasterMac
                          Don't know if anyone has linked to it already, but Matt (the IPB developer) posted something about that here (it's the second to last paragraph in the post)
                          It is not the proper place of others to speak of our business decisions when they are not privy to our internal operations. Anything proffered is nothing more than a guess and a bit self-serving to say that we develop our software based on what they may or may not do with their own product(s).

The road of “who had what first” is hard road to transverse and I would suggest that people in our positions (developers) should keep our accusations to ourselves lest we be called on them.

Any more pointless discussion in this regard will be closed as it serves to do nothing more than create friction.

Comment

• tgillespie
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 3.7.x

Matt's comments were rather ignorant and bias. Like Freddie said "keep our accusations to ourselves lest we be called on them."

The IPB vs. vB battle is useless.
                            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

oh we all know that the DB crashes were related to mysql and not the forum software >.>

Comment

• Tolitz
                                • Dec 2000

Well, Matt is the creator of IPB... it's only obvious he's gonna be biased towards his own product and make sure he pipes all its merits to attempt to downplay the competition ... nothing weird or extraordinary about that

One can also assume that IPB Alpha is waiting around for the final release of vB3 so that they can make modifications to their own product to attempt to "surpass" vB3 and claim that it's a better product from the start (and once again claim that vB3 is working around IPB's own release schedule instead of the other way around) ... but it's all part of competition, so no worries...

Matt can claim that they came out of nowhere as competition for vB, but the fact is he had majority of iKonboard users swept into his new forum project, so it already had a built-in audience from the get-go - something vBulletin didn't have when it was competing against UBB... that is, until the next time he encounters another internal problem within his company and creates another forum script that will allegedly "come out of nowhere," but that's all a matter of assumption. But it's fun, aint' it? Well, at least, fun for those who weren't left behind in the iKonboard project. Although I'm fairly confident that IPB won't suffer the same fate

It again all boils down to a matter of preference ... IPB still doesn't possess the amount of customizability in vBulletin, and that's my opinion having used both. Any opinions expressed in the IPB forums will naturally be biased against vBulletin, the same way it is here against IPB. It's the nature of competition, and the only merit that can be gleaned out of that is you use what you think is good. They think IPB is the best thing since sliced bread. We think the same for vBulletin. It's a big fun party
                                Last edited by Tolitz; Mon 8 Dec '03, 2:25pm.
                                OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                                "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...