X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.5.x

Anything better than AdAware out there?

I was looking at some warez sites that someone told me might be distributing our program and somehow I got a bunch of crap placed on my computer that pops up ads wherever I go.
    I have run AdAware a gazillion times and it still happens. Any recommendations for rooting out these hijackers?

TIA
    Martin
    Webmaster:
    @forumz
  • Oricon
    • Dec 2002

spybot search and destroy ... google for it

Comment

• UHN_ED
      • Jan 2003

Spybot search and destroy is good, it will probaly find what you have downloaded.

If that does not work then try Hijackthis, although be careful because you can easily delete necessary things with that. It is very powerful.

How did you even get spyware? You had to have your settings set to accept anything, or you accepted the downloads. You should fix those, as you are lucky it is only spyware and not a trojan.

Comment

• Martin
        • Apr 2000
        • 3.5.x

I never accepted any downloads. I don't know where I would have set anything to accept everything. The one S&D found said it does not require permission to install, it does it itself apparently.
        Every time I run it, though, it finds more.
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

I also block all scripting by default (Active X, etc.)
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ShiningArcanine
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Martin
            I was looking at some warez sites that someone told me might be distributing our program and somehow I got a bunch of crap placed on my computer that pops up ads wherever I go.
            I have run AdAware a gazillion times and it still happens. Any recommendations for rooting out these hijackers?

TIA
            Martin
            Did you try upgrading to build 181 and downloading the latest reference file?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...