Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

Yeah what people don't realize is that 4x DVD burning is close to the limits of read speeds on the hard drives many people have in their PCs.

Comment

• merk
      • Jul 2001

Originally posted by feldon23
      Yeah what people don't realize is that 4x DVD burning is close to the limits of read speeds on the hard drives many people have in their PCs.
      Thats why you have über drives that can do super speeds!

That or lots of ram

Comment

• dabean
        • Apr 2001

Asus has the DRW-0804A on the way which is a DVD -R/+R x8 unit, due out before the end of the year. http://event.asus.com.tw/computex200...0804a/main.htm
        There is also the forthcoming pioneer A07 which is also a DVD -R/+R x8 unit, supposedly due end of this year begining of next.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

Correction Dabean...Asus said last nite that they are releasing that at the end of November days!!!!

LiteOn has an 8X unit due out in 10 days!!
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Sijo
            • Jul 2003

this might be a bit of a dumb question, but when I buy a DVD what format is it? DVD+ OR DVD-? Also, is every DVD Player able to play both formats? And why are there even two different formats?

Comment

• dabean
              • Apr 2001

The x8 LiteOn 811S is only does x8 on DVD+R media, which IMHO is less useful than -R for general compatiblity. -R recording is limited to x4 on the LiteOn.

Originally posted by Sijo
              this might be a bit of a dumb question, but when I buy a DVD what format is it? DVD+ OR DVD-? Also, is every DVD Player able to play both formats? And why are there even two different formats?
              DVD-ROM is neither DVD-R or DVD+R. Premade DVD's are made differently to recordables. DVD-R is a format backed by the DVD-Forum (who defined the orginal DVD-ROM standard), DVD+R was devised by a set of rival manufacturers.
              -R is the most compatible with normal players, but +R has historically had faster record speeds.

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

...and to answer your question, not every player can play + and -. The box should tell you which formats the player supports.

Comment

• Throwing Shapes
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Sijo
                  The easiest way to think about it is back when VCR's were new on the block. We had VHS players and tapes and BETA players and tapes, BETA of course lost out big time. This is the same thing with recordable DVD's one of these will LOSE out in due time it's just projecting which one that is diffucult. I will probably invest in a +/- recorder to begin with, makes the most sense.

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
                    • Oct 2000
                    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Freddie
                    Plextor is just hacked Sanyo drives now so I don't consider them the holy grail any more. Personally, I find Lite-on drives to be equal or superior to Plextor at a much lower price point.
                    Lite-on drives are just sony drives Infact, you can get hacked firmware for the sony drives that let you use the Lite-on firmware

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • May 2000
                      • 1.1.x

Nicholas, this only applies to a two Liteon DVD drives (the Liteon LDW-400D and LDW-440D). Likewise, Sony has rebadged drives that are actually Liteon drives. Liteon very much makes their own 8x DVD drives and cd/cd-r drives. The Sony drives, which the first Liteon drives are based on, are very good drives also.

Comment

• Sijo
                        • Jul 2003

all right, thank you guys for your answers . Does anyone know what types of DVD's a Xbox can play? I'm thinking of getting one and I especially like it because I will be also able to watch DVD's on it.
                        Last edited by Sijo; Mon 10 Nov '03, 10:10am.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                          • Jun 2002

Doesn't Sony hold the patents on both the +/- burning formats?
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Sijo
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                            Doesn't Sony hold the patents on both the +/- burning formats?
                            so are you actually saying that only PS2 is able to play both DVD formats? No, please!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...