Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Throwing Shapes
    • Aug 2002

Dvd + - % $ !

I am looking at buying a DVD player/writer for my system. I know little about this topic, but was wondering what everyone thought was better in terms of the DVD discs. It also appears that the highest write speed is 8x (only one manufacturer that I know of that has 8!) the rest are 4X write.

DVD+ or DVD- ? Which one do you think will be the "VHS", which will be the "BETA" ?
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Suggestion.... go for the DVD +/- Dual Support Drives.

The prices are the same, and you get the best of both worlds (this way you won't be on the wrong boat if you choose the wrong one)
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Vile
      • Jul 2002
      • 3.6.x

Personally I prefer DVD-R.
      Although it's getting better now, DVD+R media is less compatible than DVD-R.

You could always get a dual format burner like the Sony DRU500 or Pioneer A06/106

I currently have a Pioneer A05 (4x DVD-R/RW) but I've read good reviews about the A06.

*edit..Bah Josh beat me
      Webmaster / Administrator
      www.MegaGames.com
      www.MGForums.com

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

Yep I did...gotta love broadband
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Vile
          • Jul 2002
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          Yep I did...gotta love broadband
          <--Cable, so has nothing to do with that
          Content of the actual post was the reason
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

Comment

• ManagerJosh
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Vile
            <--Cable, so has nothing to do with that
            Content of the actual post was the reason
            Finally got cable.... a 2.0MBps one...though I'm scoring 2.5MBps at last check.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • May 2000
              • 1.1.x

DVD+R is going to be the winner.

Currently you can get the Plextor 8x or wait shortly for the Liteon/Sony 8x burners. Only DVD+R will burn at 8x, your stuck at 4x with DVD-R

If you want more opinions go to CD-R Labs.

Comment

• Vile
                • Jul 2002
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Freddie
                DVD+R is going to be the winner.

Currently you can get the Plextor 8x or wait shortly for the Liteon/Sony 8x burners. Only DVD+R will burn at 8x, your stuck at 4x with DVD-R

If you want more opinions go to CD-R Labs.
                HP, Sony, and best of all sexy Plexy, are all going towards +R, so I agree, and think it's another reason why it will be the winner. (obviously other compainies are also going towards this media, but IMO, Plextor has always been the king of the hill when it comes to drives/burners)
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • May 2000
                  • 1.1.x

Plextor is just hacked Sanyo drives now so I don't consider them the holy grail any more. Personally, I find Lite-on drives to be equal or superior to Plextor at a much lower price point.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

I think we need to wait a bit on DVD-RW

It seems a lot of people like that as much as DVD+RW

Plus the people backing DVD-RW never said they couldn't make any major improvements to jump it from 4x to 16x or any other speeds

Comment

• 0ptima
                      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Freddie
                      Plextor is just hacked Sanyo drives now so I don't consider them the holy grail any more. Personally, I find Lite-on drives to be equal or superior to Plextor at a much lower price point.
                      Since when?

Comment

• Dean C
                        • Mar 2002
                        • 3.5.x

This is a raging debate. I've read serveral articles on this and most seem to think that it will go the - way but then again it could easily go the other way. Go for the +- writer just to be safe - they're not much more expensive
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Radon3k
                          • Nov 2001

Can someone explain to me the difference between the +/-? It's all a bit confusing. Thanks.

Comment

• tubedogg
                            • Feb 2001

They're competing DVD write formats. On the plus side there's DVD+R / DVD+RW, on the minus side DVD-R / DVD-RW. Some DVD writers will write either type, some only one or the other.

Regarding teh first poster's comment about "only" 4x, considering how much faster a 4x DVD writer is than a 4x CD writer, I wouldn't worry about it that much...I can burn a DVD at 4x in 15 minutes.

Comment

• WizyWyg
                              • Jul 2001

I have a Sony DVD+RW and a Pioneer DVD-r . DVD-R discs are a lot cheapter / DVD+RW discs are higher quality.

That's must my opinion.
                              There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...