Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

FIRE!!! EEk

Well living in southern california has its benefits, but this firestorm we're having here is insane
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment
  • merk
    • Jul 2001

Did you hear about the firestorm Canberra had in January of this year?

400 houses destroyed. 4 People dead. The sky all over canberra was totally black at 3pm

3/4 of our city was under evaquation (sp?), scary stuff :\

Comment

• MasterMac
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      Well living in southern california has its benefits, but this firestorm we're having here is insane
      Indeed. I'm hoping that the fires in San Bernardino don't get too close to where I am (Riverside)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

I can only see the clouds of smoke where I am. No flames on the northern slopes yet. I do understand it is getting close to the crestline though.

Weird thing is I live about 6 miles from Fox Airfield which has a National Forest Service Air Strike unit which normally flies about 20 planes and I haven't seen any taking off from there since these fires started. Usually, they would fly right over my house on the way to the San Angeles and San Gabriel forests.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

I was in Moorpark/Simi Valley last night .. not fun.

Comment

• someuser190826
            • Oct 2002
            • 4.0.x

What exactly is a firestorm? Droplets of fire from the sky?

Comment

• Tolitz
              • Dec 2000

I had to go to the car wash yesterday ... seems the ashes fell down as far as our neighborhood, and I'm in West LA...
              OPEN TECH SUPPORT
              "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Arunan.S
                What exactly is a firestorm? Droplets of fire from the sky?
                Actually, if you are in the thick of it that is a good description.

A firestorm moves pretty rapidly and will burn anything to the ground in seconds. We had a brush fire where I live about 10 years ago and my uncle lost his house in 3 minutes (from perfect to foundation and ash). We don't even have trees, this was all mesquite, creosote bush and sage brush.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• someuser190826
                  • Oct 2002
                  • 4.0.x

Woa that is dangerous.

Comment

• Beorn
                    • May 2002

The site that I'm an admin at had a fire burning literally within half of mile of where it's colo'd. Sounds fun, huh? That's why there's a DB backup on both coasts of the US right now

Comment

• N9ne
                      • Mar 2002
                      • 3.5.0 Beta

I have a cousin affected by this fire, he's had to move home and everything . His friend's in hospital .

Comment

• Inland Mike
                        • Sep 2003

Yeah I'm in Riverside too, The sky looks like something out of Star Wars when they are on the planet Luke was born on. With the high Santa Ana winds they are forced now to fight it all on the ground too due to choppers being grounded.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Still wondering why they aren't using the B-29's and the Super Scoopers. The Santa Ana's wouldn't ground them.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

High winds Luke at last check......its too dangerous to fly in high winds.

BTW that fire in Canberra is nothing. Already 600+ homes are lost and quarter of a million acres of land burned.

11 people dead at last check
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

That doesn't effect fixed wing aircraft or they would be shutting down LAX, John Wayne and Ontario International airports everytime the Santa Anas blow.

Also the way the Santa Anas work is this... The Winds start as breezes in the Mojave Desert because of higher temperatures and move through the mountain canyons going up the mountains (San Gabriels, San Bernadinos, San Angeles ranges). As they start moving through the cooler air, they pick up speed. Then when they crest they become super fast because of the temperature changes yet still over the Santa Anas. As they come down the mountain they spread out and gain speed.

I live in the Palmdale and Lancaster area. We have winds equivalent to the Santa Anas here every day, except when there are Santa Ana winds because the wind flow pattern turns around 180 degrees and heads to L.A..

When the fires are on our side of the mountain they fly in 30-40 mile an hour winds and higher with no problem.

I am beginning to think they want these to burn. The burns will replenish the forests, thin out underbrush and ultimately save lives since there won't be 40 years of detritus to burn next time. Past fire management is what is responsible for these large firestorms and it could be that possibly they are trying to correct that now.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...