• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rylin
    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by CeleronXT
    Microsoft is rarely a trend setter.
    Right.
    You know that taskbar thing, along with a start-menu that most people use?
    Or perhaps that nice little graphics/sound/etc library that most of today's games use?
    Or perhaps the wysiwyg/contenteditable mode that IE has?
    Perhaps the preview pane introduced in outlook/oe?
    Or maybe top-posting in emails, which half the world uses?

Come again. Please.
    My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
    That forum

Comment

• tgillespie
      • Dec 2002
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by rylin
      Right.
      Or perhaps that nice little graphics/sound/etc library that most of today's games use?

Come again. Please.
      Way to get him slugger I was thinking more of XP's gradient style which is mimicked in newer operating systems
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• rylin
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by tgillespie
        Way to get him slugger I was thinking more of XP's gradient style which is mimicked in newer operating systems
        Actually, a bunch of WM's for *ix shipped with gradient styles/app launchers way before MS introduced '98
        That forum

Comment

• nemesis01
          • Oct 2001

My god, looks like MSN Explorer's retarted brother in law.

Comment

• CeleronXT
            • Mar 2002

Right.

Come again. Please.
            Taskbar - other OS's (*cough* Mac *cough*) had something quite similar before that. MS took it, changed it a tiny bit, and called it something new. Like they do with everything. They'll probably introduce tabbed browsing in IE7 and call it something like "Multi Window Browsing"

Er.. Other OS's have had such libraries..

WYSIWYG - yeah, that's true

Preview Pane - that had to be done before.. and you can't tell me that's some huge innovation..

Top-posting in emails?

I could put up examples of Microsoft copying Mac, but I really don't like Mac and I hate fighting for it.
            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
            Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• N9ne
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.5.0 Beta

Originally posted by ogden2k
              Yes, you have to buy it. Why would MS give out a free OS? Longhorn isn't due out until 2006.
              LOL, A free OS, that would be interesting considering much of their $$$ is from selling OS's .

I will upgrade/buy longhorn when it's out, although right now the GUI isn't looking as appealing as XP, it WILL improve, I don't doubt it.

Comment

• Faruk
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.0.0 'Gold'

I'm mostly wondering how many of the rumors about Longhorn will be true, and if some rather major ones Are indeed true, I really hope many people will be smart enough to be considered at least a halfwit, and steer clear from Longhorn big time...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                  I agreed with most of that, except the last sentence. Microsoft is rarely a trend setter.
                  You are right, Microsoft isn't a trend setters. Trend setters lose marketshare just as fast as they gain it.

Microsoft works to provide the users with the "trends" they like. Overall it provides a better overall OS that evolves instead of changes drastically from iteration to iteration. This is actually a good thing in mass-consumer development. If you want to target a niche, you follow trends. If you want to reach out to the mass-market and maintain a market lead, you evaluate and let the trendsetters do the leg work for you.

I just hope that Longhorn has a better style management system so that I won't have to by a third party manager like StyleXP, WindowBlinds or Desktop Objects.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• okrogius
                    • Dec 2001

Right.
                    No, afraid I don't. You wouldn't be referring to the first GUI's by Apple, would you now?

I don't suppose you realize how much older OpenGL is then DirectX then. I won't even mention how long it took Microsoft to get this library in a stage where it was a semi-attractive alternative to opengl.

Java doesn't count, does it?

Got anything to back up that half world statement? While Microsoft was the first oen to use "top-posting", would you mind to tell me what was so great about it?

Come again. Please.
                    Anytime.
                    Last edited by okrogius; Sun 26 Oct '03, 1:32pm.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

the new version of GDI and GDI++ is sposed to blow away anything that is out now, im not gonna judge the os till its in an stable beta towards the end of its beta life ^^

Comment

• rylin
                        • Jan 2001

No, afraid I don't. You wouldn't be referring to the first GUI's by Apple, would you now?
                        Show me MacOS with a taskbar/startmenu alternative.

I don't suppose you realize how much older OpenGL is then DirectX then. I won't even mention how long it took Microsoft to get this library in a stage where it was a semi-attractive alternative to opengl.
                        Yes, OpenGL is older. But what's more widely used?
                        Why is DirectX more widely used? (Because of the MS marketing machine? Perhaps. Because it's easier to use? Perhaps.)

Java doesn't count, does it?
                        I didn't say MS were the only trendsetter.
                        Java easily got the trend going with rich content on the web, but others improved on the "experience".

Got anything to back up that half world statement? While Microsoft was the first oen to use "top-posting", would you mind to tell me what was so great about it?
                        Nearly every business i've dealt with uses top-posting for replies to short emails, and nested replies where that's more appropriate.
                        The great thing about top-posting in emails is that it makes sense
                        (really, what's the use of the preview pane if you still have to scroll to the bottom to read a reply?)

Basically, MS (just like everyone else) look at existing technology and work up their own alternative. You can't really say they haven't got their "thing" working.
                        That forum

Comment

• MasterMac
                          • Sep 2002

Show me MacOS with a taskbar/startmenu alternative.
                          In the Classic Mac OS: the Apple Menu, Control Strip, and the Application Switcher on the top right of the screen.
                          In OS X: the Dock, the Apple Menu, and the menubar buttons (that appear next to the clock)

Comment

• rylin
                            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by MasterMac
                            In the Classic Mac OS: the Apple Menu, Control Strip, and the Application Switcher on the top right of the screen.
                            In OS X: the Dock, the Apple Menu, and the menubar buttons (that appear next to the clock)
                            Screenshot please?
                            I played around with macs years before windows 95, yet I can't remember seeing anything similar?
                            That forum

Comment

• MasterMac
                              • Sep 2002

Screenshot please?
                              I played around with macs years before windows 95, yet I can't remember seeing anything similar?
                              I'll do OS X first

From the Apple website:

The dock is on the bottom of the pic. I can explain how it works if you want

Also in that pic is the menubar icons, right next to the "Wed" on the left. You can change settings from there (if you have the option on to show their respective menubar icon) such as sound screen resolution etc

I've uploaded a pic of the Apple menu in OS X

Now as for Classic... the Apple menu was basically how you accessed your control panels and various programs that you put in there. The application switcher, well, let you switch between open applications . And the control strip was just a small thing on the bottom left corner of the screen where you controlled settings for various things (like sound, screen resolutions, etc)
                              Attached Files

Comment

• rylin
                                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by MasterMac
                                Now as for Classic... the Apple menu was basically how you accessed your control panels and various programs that you put in there. The application switcher, well, let you switch between open applications . And the control strip was just a small thing on the bottom left corner of the screen where you controlled settings for various things (like sound, screen resolutions, etc)
                                I've seen and used OsX, but that wasn't out when MS released the startmenu in '95.
                                Anything pre-95?
                                That forum

Comment