X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CeleronXT
    • Mar 2002

Win Longhorn/IE7 Screen Shots

Hrm.. IE7 is FUGLY.

I like the wallpaper. http://www.neowin.net/staff/creamhac...4051/Bliss.jpg I'm using it now.
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)
  • Chris Stewart
    • Oct 2001

I thought they said IE wasn't to be developed anymore.
    Console Racing Review

Comment

• filburt1
      • Feb 2002

That's the most hideous user interface I've ever seen...
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

They never said that... They said it wouldn't be available as a standalone version outside the OS.

This means that to get the new IE, you will have to upgrade to Longhorn, you won't be able to download it for XP or other Windows OS.

They did announce that they were no longer going to be releasing IE on the Macintosh or Unix platforms.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Chris Stewart
          • Oct 2001

Ah, that's right. I guess I took that as it would just be integrated into Explorer (which it always has been I guess) and not a seperate application.
          Console Racing Review

Comment

• John Round
            • Jan 2002
            • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Who cares if the GUI is ugly - It'll be redone for 2005 or whenever the RC/Final is released (Just like Windows XP and the "Watercolor" interface)

Comment

• CeleronXT
              • Mar 2002

IE users are going to have to wait until 2006 to get less than what Firebird users already have.
              "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
              "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Comment

• f-a_org
                • Nov 2002

Looks Ok, may Use WINDOWS LH when it comes out.

will it be a os you have to buy, free upgrade, or you need a new computer ?

Im buying a windows os machine probably in NOV-DEC anyway..

Comment

• Mainer82
                  • Apr 2003
                  • 1.1.x

Yes, you have to buy it. Why would MS give out a free OS? Longhorn isn't due out until 2006.

Comment

• louisl
                    • Dec 2001

It's It's....

It's ok, I think that the MacOS X(Panther) look 100X better. I think MS could have done a better job with this interface. Hell KDE is even Better.
                    Louis| Techieville.com

Comment

• Chris Stewart
                      • Oct 2001

As has been said already, this does not include the new UI (codenamed Areo).
                      Console Racing Review

Comment

• sabret00the
                        • Jan 2003

what an ugly preview style, even if the colour idea was good, it sucked

can't say i'm that excited but meh, LH will be completely rebuilt by the sounds of an older article on neowin so i look forward to that, no more stupid old vulnerabilities, we'll get whole new ones lol

Comment

• ShiningArcanine
                          • Feb 2003

MS did that on purpose so competitors won't be able to steal any ideas.

Any word on drag and drop tab browsing and standards support?

Comment

• tgillespie
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 3.7.x

It's funny how people are already slamming it. Although I am not a huge Microsoft fan, I still have to say they make a damn good operating system. I've used Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake, and Slackware and I must say they are very good in general, but I still prefer a Windows based machine.

As for the style, you have to realize that the operating system has 2+ years of development ahead. Take vB3 for instance. Its new style isn't going to be implemented until RC1. Like ShiningArcanine noted, the style is simply a gimic so people don't steal ideas and graphics before the product is even released. I imagine Longhorn's visuals will blow KDE and OS X out of the water when it comes. Microsoft is a trend setter, not a trend follower.
                            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• CeleronXT
                              • Mar 2002

Originally posted by tgillespie
                              It's funny how people are already slamming it. Although I am not a huge Microsoft fan, I still have to say they make a damn good operating system. I've used Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake, and Slackware and I must say they are very good in general, but I still prefer a Windows based machine.

As for the style, you have to realize that the operating system has 2+ years of development ahead. Take vB3 for instance. Its new style isn't going to be implemented until RC1. Like ShiningArcanine noted, the style is simply a gimic so people don't steal ideas and graphics before the product is even released. I imagine Longhorn's visuals will blow KDE and OS X out of the water when it comes. Microsoft is a trend setter, not a trend follower.
                              I agreed with most of that, except the last sentence. Microsoft is rarely a trend setter.

Comment