Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matthew Gordon
    • May 2002
    • 1.1.x

Everyone already knows that there is going to be more than one RC, which is why they are calling it RC1.

Comment

• Chris Stewart
      • Oct 2001

Obviously sqall, but software shouldn't take 7 betas before moving to RC. Plus, there should be no more than 2 RCs. As people have already stated, RCs are basically finished products with no new features added. Something as huge as the style should have been added during the first or second beta. Bugs from the style and everything else could then have been fixed through beta three and four. Then RC1 would be a frozen code base with only minor bug fixes and RC2 would basically be final unless anything else was found. That is how a development cycle should go.
      Console Racing Review

Comment

• Alcar
        • Aug 2002
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Chris Stewart
        Obviously sqall, but software shouldn't take 7 betas before moving to RC. Plus, there should be no more than 2 RCs. As people have already stated, RCs are basically finished products with no new features added. Something as huge as the style should have been added during the first or second beta. Bugs from the style and everything else could then have been fixed through beta three and four. Then RC1 would be a frozen code base with only minor bug fixes and RC2 would basically be final unless anything else was found. That is how a development cycle should go.
        It doesn't have to. If the vBulletin Developers wish to do it another method, they are free to do so. You are stating an opinion, not the proper method.

I'm happy waiting.

Alcar...
        http://www.oddworldforums.net

Comment

• Chris Stewart
          • Oct 2001

7 betas reflect negatively on the product IMO. I think many would agree with me. I mean look at some of the stuff going on in the bug tracker (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs....view&bugid=880). The subscription system is getting a re-write after beta 7. Sounds like something that should have been solid before released to the public. Not to mention all of the trouble that can come from a complete re-write of the style. You think 500 bugs is a lot in 4 betas? I can't imagine how many more could come of a new style system. Nothing against Kier, but it's tough to get something that large perfect the first time (i.e., vB3 ).
          Console Racing Review

Comment

• tgillespie
            • Dec 2002
            • 3.7.x

Who says it has to be done this way. There are no guidelines Jelsoft needs to abide by when releasing vB. You're asumptions of correct software production are different from mine as is mine are different from the next persons. I would venture to guess that you have not released anything on the scale of vBulletin, so you probably don't have near the clue the vB team does when it comes to betas, alphas, RCs. Let them carry it out how they planned, because changing their plans now is only going to hault the process even more. So until you can be an asset to the release and start helping rather than *****ing, close the yapper, sit down and wait like the rest of us.

kthx
            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Chris Stewart
              • Oct 2001

I've been on teams for projects a little smaller than this, but some have held a much larger impact (read: $$$). What most people don't seem to get is that these guys don't even appear to be going by any sort of plan. Looks very unorganized. I understand this isn't the only job for some of these guys (as far as I know), but this is a selling product with many people waiting. The execution should have been better and some of the devs have already acknowledged that.
              Console Racing Review

Comment

• N9ne
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.5.0 Beta

The REAL question is, where are John and James!

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by N9ne
                  The REAL question is, where are John and James!
                  The real question is, WHO are John and James?

I'll bet they're both Kier and he's pocketing three pay cheques.
                  Sig? What sig?

Comment

• rylin
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by tgillespie
                    Who says it has to be done this way. There are no guidelines Jelsoft needs to abide by when releasing vB. You're asumptions of correct software production are different from mine as is mine are different from the next persons. I would venture to guess that you have not released anything on the scale of vBulletin, so you probably don't have near the clue the vB team does when it comes to betas, alphas, RCs. Let them carry it out how they planned, because changing their plans now is only going to hault the process even more. So until you can be an asset to the release and start helping rather than *****ing, close the yapper, sit down and wait like the rest of us.

kthx
                    I've worked on major software releases, and also handled release management for projects more complex than vBulletin.
                    There are "standards" in release management, such as
                    1) alphas = new major code introduced or rewritten
                    2) betas = minor new features / rewrites
                    3) RC = critical rewrites and minor fixes

I'm not sure about you, but I'd call the new style a major change. Definitely not "critical rewrite" or "minor fix".
                    Yes, jelsoft have a lot of work to do when it comes to release management in the future..
                    My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                    That forum

Comment

• rylin
                      • Jan 2001

I've been on teams for projects a little smaller than this, but some have held a much larger impact (read: $$$). What most people don't seem to get is that these guys don't even appear to be going by any sort of plan. Looks very unorganized. I understand this isn't the only job for some of these guys (as far as I know), but this is a selling product with many people waiting. The execution should have been better and some of the devs have already acknowledged that.
                      My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
                      That forum

Comment

• Chris Stewart
                        • Oct 2001

Originally posted by rylin
                        I've worked on major software releases, and also handled release management for projects more complex than vBulletin.

I'm not sure about you, but I'd call the new style a major change. Definitely not "critical rewrite" or "minor fix".
                        Yes, jelsoft have a lot of work to do when it comes to release management in the future..
                        Someone who has a clue, thank you.
                        Console Racing Review

Comment

• iDavid
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by rylin
                          Thank you; I think that's very accurate!

I will note, however (and I think you agree, but this is just to clarify), that "critical rewrites" in the RC stage should not, ideally, happen -- they're solely when a last-minute code base is found not to work correctly in production, not routine, planned rewrites of code that has known problems.

And, interestingly, looking at those definitions, it seems that we're almost entering the beta stages.

Oh, and squall -- one should never assume multiple RCs or leave bugs for "RC2". The first RC should, ideally, always be released as final (though, in practice, that's rarely the case).

Comment

• Chris Stewart
                            • Oct 2001

iDavid, you are certainly correct. But, there should never be a critical rewrite in the RC stage. Obviously never planned but also not by finding an issue. Any issue that would cause a complete rewrite of a critical part of the system should be found before the application reaches RC.
                            Console Racing Review

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

7 betas reflect negatively on the product IMO. I think many would agree with me. I mean look at some of the stuff going on in the bug tracker (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs....view&bugid=880). The subscription system is getting a re-write after beta 7. Sounds like something that should have been solid before released to the public. Not to mention all of the trouble that can come from a complete re-write of the style. You think 500 bugs is a lot in 4 betas? I can't imagine how many more could come of a new style system. Nothing against Kier, but it's tough to get something that large perfect the first time (i.e., vB3 ).
                              Windows XP went through 2000 beta compilations... In fact, the version people are using is the 2600 compilation of the product.

The style system is in place in Beta 7. The Language system is in place in Beta 7. The new style will be tying those things together and changing some HTML. Nothing which will change the operation of vBulletin.
                              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sun 26 Oct '03, 8:29am.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Chris Stewart
                                • Oct 2001

An operating system is a tad different than forum software.

Btw, Windows is built every night. There is an interesting article about it here (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/...r2k3_gold1.asp , there are three parts). I wouldn't equate a build to a beta either. If you think about it that way, vB3 would be on beta ~500 something (1.5 years in development maybe?).
                                Last edited by Chris Stewart; Sun 26 Oct '03, 8:32am.
                                Console Racing Review

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...