Google & MSNSearch go to Cpanel.com?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google & MSNSearch go to Cpanel.com?

VERY weird thing happening just on my laptop (my desktop is normal) and I'm on a dynamic IP (if that helps).

Anytime I try to go to Google.com or Search.msn.com, I get redirected to the Cpanel.com page.

It just started a few weeks ago, and I don't recall doing anything different to my laptop at the time. I had always been using the google toolbar (for months) and even tried to de-install it, and then reinstall it (neither helped).

Searches that go through inktomi seem to work fine (excite.com).

Anyone have ANY suggestions?
    Attached Files

check your hosts file.
    Bike Forums.net

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
      check your hosts file.
      Joe, what do you mean?

Comment

I'm sure MS issued a patch for that recently. Some bug they found where people can change the host files and produce results like you mentioned.

Comment

http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html should get you started. I dont have time to type it out at work right now
          Bike Forums.net

Comment

Thanks for that starting point - I was able to fix it using this
            http://www.computing.net/security/ww...orum/6800.html

Comment

Glad to see you've got it fixed - I've seen quite a few of these threads, maybe it would be good to have it stickied or something

Comment

*nod* Hosts "virus;s" really suck. Its easy to fix if you know whats wrong, glad I could help
                Bike Forums.net

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X