X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IDN
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.5.x

What should i do?

I have found two users with the same IP, they both say they are not the same person, both have different emails and passwords. They both resolve to the same location (BC canada)

What should i do?
    Running vB since 4-14-2002
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Find out what type of connection they are using (broadband etc.) and the site.

IT may be they are at a public location like a cybercafe sharing the broadband connection.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• InSite
      • Aug 2002

Considering that 2 members is actually a large proportion of your member base, I'd leave them to get on with it.

Comment

• IDN
        • Apr 2002
        • 3.5.x

I'm glad i put Insite on my ignore list, don't have to see anything negitive he says :P

Anyways, they both use shaw cable

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

Shaw Cable? Well probably it is the same user...unless two people from the same family are using the same household connection..

It is common to have families who share similar interests.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• merk
            • Jul 2001

Think about it:

It makes no difference having 2 users on the same IP. I cant understand why so many people here are hung up about having multiple people with the same password, same email address, same ip address.

I come from a community where most of the children are involved in one way or another and need to have an account each because more often than not they are involved with different "clans" for wars that we play in our game.

Comment

• poolking
              • Aug 2002

I think the only time you should worry is if the person(s) are causing trouble.

Comment

• HexOnxOnx
                • Apr 2003
                • 3.7.x

Just let em be. I have multiple member names on boards everywhere. I'm sure it's a common event on many boards, even here.
                http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

• bromyaur
                  • Jan 2002
                  • 3.6.x

I am on Rogers Cable from Ontario Canada, same network as Shaw.

Not sure if this will shed light on this for you IDN. But if a cable user here uses the ISP's proxy the ip will be the same as others who are using it.

Example if I use the Rogers proxy my ip would be 66.185.xxx.xx, now if someone else from my area uses the Rogers proxy their ip would be the same.

So without knowing the ip in question I wonder if what you are seeing is two different people from the same area on the ISP's proxy.

Comment

• Tom|HT
                    • Jun 2003

Try looking through your webserver logs and see if the people from the same IP have the same browser/os/extentions. You could also try setting a permanent to all users, then see if the two users have the same cookie, maybe

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

any ip that does not match yes.yes.yes.yes theres a chance its not the same user.

yes.yes.yes. theres a good chance but its still possible to not be the same user they could live next door, or across the city, if only 2 octets match, theres almost no chance of it being the same user.

my moderators constaly claim that there are duplicate accounts on the site and i constantly tell them there wrong :rollseyes:

Comment

• Faruk
                        • Aug 2001
                        • 3.0.0 'Gold'

There are many things to consider, really.

You have static IP's and dynamic IP's. Either I've seen (from a variety of members on my board) that Shawcable has both statis as well as dynamic ip's, or what I've seen is that Shawcable is a complete mess when it comes to IP's.

Either way, I reckon you shouldn't do anything. If one of the two users with that ip causes trouble, ban him/her. If the other causes trouble too, ban him/her. Blocking the IP however is a bad idea with any Shawcable ip - they are completely unreliable to block on, in my experience.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

not to mention the only effecitve way to ban one specific user by ip would be a whole octet ban, this would be inefficteve, not to mention, ban alot o other users

Comment

• IDN
                            • Apr 2002
                            • 3.5.x

Thanks, might be a proxy, not sure i'll ask.

I'll look into their browser info and such

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...