Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon
    • Jul 2002

a few mac questions...

Ok. I was never a big fan of Macs, until I saw MacOS X Jaguar. Infact, not a fan doesnt describe it, I hated them. I cringed when I heard the word "Mac" or "Apple" used in a sentence without the words crap, or in the trash . However, after seeing Jaguar, and now Panther, I want one SOOOO bad.

I dont really like the design of Macs though. They always seem...so...ugly. I can get used to that, though, because the tower will be in a cabinet next to my desk. What I really like about PC's is you can virtually upgrade them endlessly (some restrictions like mobo's not allowing you to go past a certain point of RAM or HDD space). Can you upgrade a Macs RAM? Is it possible at all? What if I wanted a better video card (you Mac fans are probably laughing at me, because they already have wonderful graphics), or do I not even need to think about that?

The main thing I want to know is say I want more RAM...can I add more later? Or do I have to buy a whole new Mac?

Also, which would you reccomend? An eMac or G5? eMac's look cool, but have less RAM and slower processor. G5's are ugly, but more powerful overall...does anyone have any experience with either? Cosmetics doesnt matter to me, and I'm not a fan of the "all-in-one" package deal...but I dont have that much space to toy with right now...I will when I move out

If anyone could assist me, I'd be thankful. Thanks guys
    Windows XP
    48.15%
    MacOS X
    51.85%
  • ajaspers
    • Sep 2003
    • 3.8.x

Yes, you can add RAM. The G5 single-processor 1.6 GHz model can have up to 4 GB of RAM, and 1.8 and dual 2.0 GHz models can have up to 8 GB. You can upgrade the video card in a Power Mac, but not an eMac. (as far as I know)

And as for eMac or G5, depends what you can afford. Obviously, the G5 is much better

Comment

• Russell
      • Aug 2001

as Ajaspers said, RAM's all upgradeable in all mac models... just to different points.

HD's are upgradeable in the powermacs... not sure about the eMacs myself... I guess there's nothing stopping you get a bigger drive thrown in there.

The video cards in the powermacs are like... super anyways.. but yes, depending on the manufacturer of the graphics card you can go to town on Graphics card updates, but Apple tend to try and put the newest stuff in each time they bump the product lines. So if you were to go an eMac, wait a couple of weeks (a month) as they are due for a bump.

And... how can you say a G5 is ugly? Oh golly... have you seen one in the flesh?

And... if it's a choice between an eMac & a G5, there is no choice, if you can afford it, G5 all the way.
      RussellGreenwood
      http://forums.buffydownunder.com

Comment

• Brandon
        • Jul 2002

Ah, I forgot about the hard drive...I saw a G5 on the Mac site and at CompUSA, but from a distance (they dont like me in the store...I stay all day and just play on the systems ) and it seemed big and bulky, maybe its just me.

That e in the eMac was also meant to be an iMac too..are those any good?

Comment

• Kathy
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

This gal loves her IMac.

I upgraded my RAM and have a flat 17inch screen on a base that looks like a makeup mirror.

Like my Mac? I love it. It stays on 24/7 making not a sound.
          Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• Gavin.
            • Jul 2003
            • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

I don't mind them - I use them quite often, and OSX certainly is a huge improvement. There are a few things that annoy me personally, like the close/minimise/maximise buttons which seem to work very illogically.

I prefer my XP system at home though
            http://www.platinum-central.com
            http://www.netforge.com.au

Comment

• MasterMac
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Brandon
              Ah, I forgot about the hard drive...I saw a G5 on the Mac site and at CompUSA, but from a distance (they dont like me in the store...I stay all day and just play on the systems ) and it seemed big and bulky, maybe its just me.

That e in the eMac was also meant to be an iMac too..are those any good?
              The 'e' in the eMac stands for "education" and it takes the place of the old iMacs (non-flat panel display ones)

I personally don't like the way the G5 looks either, but I'm not planning on getting one soon because my 15'' Al powerbook is working just fine with me

Comment

• Scott
                • Apr 2001
                • 3.7.x

I've been working with mac's since 1995 and apple has worked well for me.

Comment

• Forester
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 3.0.0 Gamma

Originally posted by Brandon
                  Ok. I was never a big fan of Macs, until I saw MacOS X Jaguar. Infact, not a fan doesnt describe it, I hated them. I cringed when I heard the word "Mac" or "Apple" used in a sentence without the words crap, or in the trash . However, after seeing Jaguar, and now Panther, I want one SOOOO bad.

I dont really like the design of Macs though. They always seem...so...ugly. I can get used to that, though, because the tower will be in a cabinet next to my desk. What I really like about PC's is you can virtually upgrade them endlessly (some restrictions like mobo's not allowing you to go past a certain point of RAM or HDD space). Can you upgrade a Macs RAM? Is it possible at all? What if I wanted a better video card (you Mac fans are probably laughing at me, because they already have wonderful graphics), or do I not even need to think about that?

The main thing I want to know is say I want more RAM...can I add more later? Or do I have to buy a whole new Mac?

Also, which would you reccomend? An eMac or G5? eMac's look cool, but have less RAM and slower processor. G5's are ugly, but more powerful overall...does anyone have any experience with either? Cosmetics doesnt matter to me, and I'm not a fan of the "all-in-one" package deal...but I dont have that much space to toy with right now...I will when I move out

If anyone could assist me, I'd be thankful. Thanks guys
                  As everyone has said RAM, HD, video cards, etc is ungradeable..always has been (not sure about iMac & eMac) Only thing that may not be upgradeable is the motherboard. But those dont need "upgrading" much... by the time you might want a new one, it will be years and would be cheaper to get a new mac.

I use both XP and MacOSX on a daily basis, Jaguar (OSX) is by far the more stable, smoother, enjoyable of the two. You just cant beat the stability of a UNiX core. Onlything is... I am a admin for a site using VBB Gamma, and the admin functions dont work.. I'm sure its a bug and will be fixed sooner or later.

Once you get a mac, try heading over to www.maccentral.com forums for lots of help and tips from the pppl there. good luck

Comment

• Forester
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 3.0.0 Gamma

hahaa, I just saw the date on this post... OOPSY, hehe

Comment

• filburt1
                      • Feb 2002

I prefer OS X.

Windows: speed, common programs, gaming
                      OS X: stability, good-looking, very easy to use, Unix
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Breaker
                        • Jan 2002
                        • 3.8.x

My main use of a computer is gaming, and i dont tihnk a mac is the way to game Although if anyone can say things that could chnage my mind i might get a mac someday just to see what they're like.
                        Unlike most, I don't think I'm always right, if I'm wrong, CORRECT me.... providing you have some evidence

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...