New Computers: Do you miss the floppy drives?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    You could always buy external usb floppy drives. They go for about $31.00
    $20 if you look around enough. I have a 32 MB one which I may upgrade eventually. I don't even have a floppy drive in my computer anymore.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Stryker
      • Sep 2001
      • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Originally posted by ogden2k
      I think the last time I used a floppy was for a BIOS update. But you can use a USB memory stick to do that now.
      I got a utility with my Asus mobo which allows you to update your BIOS within Windows. It downloads the latest bin file and then uses it to flash the BIOS automatically. You can't screw up your motherboard even if you want. Maybe there will be one available for yours too if you look on the manufacturer's home page.

Comment

• Mainer82
        • Apr 2003
        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Stryker
        I got a utility with my Asus mobo which allows you to update your BIOS within Windows. It downloads the latest bin file and then uses it to flash the BIOS automatically. You can't screw up your motherboard even if you want. Maybe there will be one available for yours too if you look on the manufacturer's home page. [img]images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]
        I've worked on PC's that have that feature too. My PC doesn't have that though.

Comment

• ShiningArcanine
          • Feb 2003

The Intel 875P lets you do BIOS updates via Windows (requires reboot). Who needs a disc when the HD works?

Btw, what are floppies? Oh yeah, now I remember, those are the disks people used last millenium to store data. I learned about them in history class.

Comment

• okrogius
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Stryker
            Bah, no-one needs a floppy drive anymore. When I built my new computer I didn't bother getting one at all. They're slow, noisey and have limited capacity. What I do is use a Compact Flash/Smart Media card reader (attached via a USB port) and use CF cards to store and transport data. You can now buy them in sizes up to 1 GB though I just have a few 128mb ones. If your computer supports USB 2.0 they're very fast, and much more reliable than floppies.
            Unfortunately, Windows installer will only let you provide RAID drivers via a floppy. That is truly the only major holding back point imho. (yes, you will need to provide a driver to use ANY raid whatsoever)
            Last edited by okrogius; Thu 11 Sep '03, 7:17pm.

Comment

• ShiningArcanine
              • Feb 2003

I didn't think you needed a RAID driver if the hardware handles it.

Comment

• Stryker
                • Sep 2001
                • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Originally posted by okrogius
                Unfortunately, Windows installer will only let you provide RAID drivers via a floppy. That is truly the only major holding back point imho. (yes, you will need to provide a driver to use ANY raid whatsoever)
                Oh, I wasn't aware of that. My motherboard supports RAID, but I don't use those features. Bit of a weird drawback.

Comment

I have one in this comp because I built it about four years ago and never bothered to take it out when I re-built it (3 times ).

My next comp will not have one, and the last one I built for a client dident.

Comment

• kevinj
                    • Aug 2003
                    • 3.5.x

i haven't used a floppy drive in a while, the computer i recently built, i haven't needed to install a floppy drive as i can use my network to transfer files small or large.
                    Computer Networking Forums
                    www.unlocked-networks.com

Comment

• John Round
                      • Jan 2002
                      • 3.0.0 Beta 5

I still have a floppy installed in here purely because I need it for transferring dtuff to my old laptop. I probably will end up getting a USB External one soon enough.

Comment

• Dean C
                        • Mar 2002
                        • 3.5.x

USB pens rock
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
                          • Oct 2000
                          • 1.1.x

Originally posted by okrogius
                          when creating slipstreamed versions of Windows, you can include driver files. My slipstreamed version of Win2k SP4 has the drivers for my HPT raid, nic and monitor

Comment

• Lacrosse Boy
                            • Jan 2003

I use floppy disks when transferring files between home and school. I just carry a USB drive in my back pack when the need arises to use a floppy with an eMac.

They still have their place, but in a different way now.
                            | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
                            |
                            Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

• HexOnxOnx
                              • Apr 2003
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Lacrosse Boy
                              I use floppy disks when transferring files between home and school. I just carry a USB drive in my back pack when the need arises to use a floppy with an eMac.

They still have their place, but in a different way now.
                              Agreed. I have three comps on a network. I still have had a need once in a while to use a floppie. Sure a cd can do the same thing. I just happen to have 1,000 floppies sitting here collecting dust.
                              http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

• Dean C
                                • Mar 2002
                                • 3.5.x

My laptop has one of those cd drives were you pust it in instead of ejecting the drive. And my usb pen came with one of those half-size cd things (about the size of a mini-disc) and of course i couldn't push it in so i put it in my main desktop and copied the files onto my usb pen. Did the same with the drivers for my mouse (which were on a floppy)
                                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...