• Show
Clear All
  • f-a_org
    • Nov 2002

RIAA Sues Twelve year old girl

The RIAA sees the face of evil, and it's a 12-year-old girl
    By Ashlee Vance in Chicago
    Posted: 09/09/2003 at 13:54 GMT

The RIAA has nailed one of the most prolific file-traders in the U.S., filing a lawsuit against 12-year-old Brianna LaHara.

When not at the playground with her friends, "Biggie Brianna" is trading music files from her home in New York. The little girl received one of the 261 lawsuits filed by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) on Monday, according to the New York Post. She may look like a sweet and innocent child, but the RIAA says it's only going after major copyright violators at the moment. So you make the call.

"I got really scared. My stomach is all turning," Brianna told the Post. "I thought it was OK to download music because my mom paid a service fee for it. Out of all people, why did they pick me?"

It turns out that Brianna's mum paid a $29.99 service charge to KaZaA for the company's music service. Brianna, however, thought this meant she could download songs at will. How naive!

When reporters charged into Brianna's home, she was helping her brother with some homework. She is an honors student at St. Gregory the Great school.

Brianna could face charges of up to $150,000 per infringed song. but we have a feeling this might be a tad unrealistic. We suggest the RIAA take all of her toys instead.

"Nobody likes playing the heavy and having to resort to litigation," RIAA president Cary Sherman said in a statement. "But when your product is being regularly stolen, there comes a time when you have to take appropriate action."

Go get her, Cary. ®

• ffaBen
    • Jul 2003
    • 3.6.x

Brianna could face charges of up to $150,000 per infringed song.
    Yeah like every 12 year old can afford that

Maybe they should send her to her room for a year or something.
    FFAddicts: [site|forums]

Comment

• f-a_org
      • Nov 2002

Tis Wrong, Tis Wrong.

Comment

• ShiningArcanine
        • Feb 2003

I also heard that if you are really sorry, promise to delete all of the illegal songs and never commit illegal song swapping again, they will let you off the hook.

Comment

• Marco
          • Nov 2000
          • 3.8.x

RIAA = tards.
          When will they pull their heads out of their asses and start doing something useful? Like cease to exist, or something.

Comment

• CeleronXT
            • Mar 2002

That's just plain wrong.

Even other recording companies agree.

From PCWorld:
            Originally posted by PCWorld
            Your article "Copy Controls Crackdown" [News and Trends, August] describes the Recording Industry Association of America's lawsuits against individuals using peer-to-peer software to share music files over the internet.
            As one of the largest dance music companies in the world, we are not opposed to peer-to-peer music trading. We feel that the industry's dinosaurs need to catch up with technology and consumer demands.
            Despire claims to the contrary, a peer-to-peer shared song is not as high quality as a piece of vinyl or a commercially manufactured CD. We believe that most song sharers are teenagers who will purchase music as adults.
            The RIAA actually represents only a handful of large record companies. As a record label group, we are opposed to the actions of the RIAA in suing individuals. The lawsuits will backfire on the industry.
            Excuse any typos, it's hard for me to type without typos while not looking at the screen.
            "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
            "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
            Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
              Former vBulletin Developer
              • Dec 2000

I agree completely with what the RIAA are doing, if your willing to download someone elses product and use it then they deserve the money that they are charging for it.

Its the same with any sort of software, be it a Microsoft product or even a copy of vBulletin. Why should they get it for free?

Register story was updated last night they settled for $2000 for the 12 year old.

Consider using apples new service called iTunes completely legal and you still get your mp3's.

Just my opnion.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• spiritUNIT004
                • Sep 2003

The real problem comes to people that don't have the money for the music of that iTune thingy.

Comment

• MUG
                  • Apr 2002

Originally posted by spiritUNIT004
                  The real problem comes to people that don't have the money for the music of that iTune thingy.
                  Oh, so it's ok to steal from a store if you can't pay for something?

Comment

• CeleronXT
                    • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                    I agree completely with what the RIAA are doing, if your willing to download someone elses product and use it then they deserve the money that they are charging for it.

Its the same with any sort of software, be it a Microsoft product or even a copy of vBulletin. Why should they get it for free?

Register story was updated last night they settled for $2000 for the 12 year old.

Consider using apples new service called iTunes completely legal and you still get your mp3's.

Just my opnion.
                    iTunes is only for the Mac as of now, no way in hell I'm getting a Mac just for that.

With all the money RIAA is going to be making from these lawsuits they're going to be as rich as Microsoft. They'll be all "This is our most innovative, stable, and secure song yet. $100 for the home edition, $200 for professional." =|
                    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
                    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
                    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

• MUG
                      • Apr 2002

Originally posted by CeleronXT
                      iTunes is only for the Mac as of now, no way in hell I'm getting a Mac just for that.
                      There should be a Windows version by the end of the year, according to Apple.

Comment

• spiritUNIT004
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MUG
                        Oh, so it's ok to steal from a store if you can't pay for something?
                        yes. you or anyone can tell anyone they can't steal couse is not your business.

If its ok by me is not your problem.

ok?

Comment

• spiritUNIT004
                          • Sep 2003

Is also like if you don't like people using drugs and they still want to do it. Theres nothing that no body can do about people stealing, I don't steal from stores, but I don't tell people not to do it couse is wasting my time...

Comment

• Cagez
                            • Dec 2002

Why isn't it illegal to record music off the radio?

Comment

• UHN_ED
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Cagez
                              Why isn't it illegal to record music off the radio?
                              It is.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...