X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kathy
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

Auction script integration?

Has anyone found an auction script to integrate into their vb database of users?

Thanks!
    Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com
  • Joe
    • May 2000

Kathy, I just launched my own auction site, bicyclebid.com ... let me tell you, its a PAIN... I decided not to integrate the script with my forum (bikeforums.net), as i have plans to sell the sites seprately down the road... However, it would not be hard at all to integrate any database driven script with vbulletin. It has been done many times in the past, and there are quite a few threads here that tell how. I'll see if i can find them for you
    Bike Forums.net

Comment

• Kathy
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joe
      Kathy, I just launched my own auction site, bicyclebid.com ... let me tell you, its a PAIN... I decided not to integrate the script with my forum (bikeforums.net), as i have plans to sell the sites seprately down the road... However, it would not be hard at all to integrate any database driven script with vbulletin. It has been done many times in the past, and there are quite a few threads here that tell how. I'll see if i can find them for you
      Thank you Joe.

I have an idea that might be fun...but I'm not sure I want to pursue it. It would be a community auction...members only. The proceeds would go towards our server fund.

Imagine this:

Member has a lamp to give away/donate. They put it on the community auction site for bidding. It goes to auction for a week....and the winner pays the site.

The member with the lamp puts the lamp into the mail to the winner of the auction.

Its an online garage sale.

The winner of the auction gets the item.

The owner of the auction gets rid of their item while "giving" to the site.

The site gets the funds.

Is that nuts? Its very similar to a real life garage sale...everybody swapping their stuff...and the organization getting the profits. but this way the org doesn't take the stuff into their garage first and have to tag it. Tagging it, uploading it is the responsibility of the member giving it away.

And when the winner pays....and receives the item...they both get a member badge (I have member badge icons in postbit and profiles for awards for our members for other things, I thought this might encourage them both to follow through on their end of the auction.)

Of course the negative of this...is if the member with the lamp doesn't send it (voided money goes back to the winner) or if the winner doesn't pay...and the item goes back up for auction.

I have a very loyal website and it sounds like it could work. I think it might be a hassle too so maybe not a good idea. LOL

But thought I might look at scripts for integration to see if auto emails could be sent for contact info/mailing, and the other auction features that needs automating.

Too big? Might be! Its just an idea I'm thinking about....I guess the flip side might be that members put their items on ebay and post the link in our forums.

Comment

• Joe
        • May 2000

Sounds like a good idea! I dont think you need a auction script however... Unless you are talking about dozens of new auctions a day!

Personaly, I would make it a "silent" auction. Have the auctions once a month, email all members and let them know about it. Then take silent bids for 24hrs, the one with the highest bid wins, you then get the seller in contact with the buyer, and collect the donation.

Good luck!
        Bike Forums.net

Comment

• f-a_org
          • Nov 2002

Great Idea Kathy

Comment

• Kathy
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joe
            Sounds like a good idea! I dont think you need a auction script however... Unless you are talking about dozens of new auctions a day!

Personaly, I would make it a "silent" auction. Have the auctions once a month, email all members and let them know about it. Then take silent bids for 24hrs, the one with the highest bid wins, you then get the seller in contact with the buyer, and collect the donation.

Good luck!
            Thanks guys.

I'm needing something automated though. I don't want to have to go through hooking members up myself. I'd like something that would be more automatic.....

What about a forum ? Upload the picture...info about the item. The members then vote on the thread...

Are the replies hidden and viewable only by mods/admins?

is it like a poll vote where it collects the data (bid) and displays it at the top of the thread with the item...?

Then at the end of a time period (end of two weeks maybe an automatic time frame) the top bid and author of the thread (member with the item) receive emails telling them they won and to contact each other for mailing item.

The admin gets a copy of the winners info for contact for money exchange.

I dont' know...I guess it doesn't need to be a full blown auction script but could a hack work maybe with vb.org for using the forum for this kind of thing?

Am I nuts?

Comment

• f-a_org
              • Nov 2002

Or have something that just shows the highest bidders name like ebay.

Comment

• Kathy
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by f-a_org
                Or have something that just shows the highest bidders name like ebay.
                Yeah, and maybe the amount....

So the thread may show only the first post...the item with info about the item and photo. The second post is highest bidders name and amount. That changes if someone comes along and outbids the first one.

Member clicks BID (new graphic for that forum in place of REPLY) to insert the amount...

Comment

• japanbidding
                  • Feb 2016

Did you heard about japan bidding? There you can find a new concept of auto bidding integration. For any inquiry just visit this site - http://japanbidding.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...