X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vB3Dev.Com

Dear Dr. Laura

Dear Dr. Laura

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don.t agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn.t we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan,
    Jack
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

hehe

Comment

• Cary
      • Apr 2002
      • 3.6.x

First of all, whoever wrote this (whether it's you or somebody else) should of actually looked at each verse and its context. It's very clear that the some of the items listed above have twisted the words of the Bible around. Do not only read that one verse with each statement listed above, but read the verses before and after it, also.

Secondly, since I know you are against Christians, you should know that Dr. Laura is Jewish and we [Christians] don't always believe the same things as the Jewish. Just thought you should know that! - (Unless you're against all religions?)

And, lastly, the verses mentioned above were taken from when people were still under the law. We once lived under the law, but now we are under grace. Jesus died on the cross as the final sacrifice for all sin, and the laws mentioned above were all laws on how to purify yourself [in the old times]... but now we live in God's forgiveness. Parts of the law mentioned above are no longer necessary for us to do, but there are other parts of the law that we must continue to follow.

Take a read at Romans Chapters 1 and 2 for more information on what I just wrote.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

I think it was meant as a joke so there is no need to argue. Christians are familiar with the bible and should be able to understand the humor better than anyone.

Comment

• vB3Dev.Com

Originally posted by Jakeman
          I think it was meant as a joke so there is no need to argue. Christians are familiar with the bible and should be able to understand the humor better than anyone.
          Indeed, I meant it as a joke and no I did not write the article, but the author made it available for republication by anyone and there are 1000s of sites hosting is and many more forums posting it.

But I also posted it not to be trolling but to spark a light-hearted debate, not a flame war.

First of all, whoever wrote this (whether it's you or somebody else) should of actually looked at each verse and its context. It's very clear that the some of the items listed above have twisted the words of the Bible around. Do not only read that one verse with each statement listed above, but read the verses before and after it, also.
          Again, it is meant as a joke and also if the authors of the bible were actually intelligent they would have written it so it is easy understood, easpecially since most people of that time were not perticulary bright, (not to imply that today most are either )

Secondly, since I know you are against Christians, you should know that Dr. Laura is Jewish and we [Christians] don't always believe the same things as the Jewish. Just thought you should know that! - (Unless you're against all religions?)
          Well, since I am Jewish and raised by fanatical religious parents I'd say I know who Dr. Laura is, rest assured.

And, lastly, the verses mentioned above were taken from when people were still under the law.
          Yes i know and I also know that the law states that someone will come along and claim that the law has been done away with, and the Jewish people should not listen to him. That is the only prophecy in the Bible which actually came true. Christians also claim that they still follow the "moral law" and is still valid but only the sacrificial laws were "done away with". Well, one of the "moral laws" commands not to folow him who shall come to do away with the law. The reason there are so many Christians in the world is because they do not actually read the Bible. The Bible (Tenakh, the Jewish Bible not the NT which is NOT "the Bible, after all, how can Paul and others speak of "the Bible" to include the NT when it did not even exist till hundreds of years later, year 325) also states some 200 times that the "law is perfect" and it MUST be obeyed "forever and ever". Can some spirit filled Christian please explain to me how it is that "the Word of God" does not know what "forever" means and only "Christians" can explain the true meaning? Think about it? Please do tell! It is not ok for anyone to be a hypocrite except Christians, have a look in the mirror. Either you like truth and facts or you don't. It is that simple.

We once lived under the law, but now we are under grace.
          Yes but you cannot claim that this is supported by The Bible, and again, the NT is NOT "The bible" the Jewish "Old testament" IS.

Jesus died on the cross as the final sacrifice for all sin, and the laws mentioned above were all laws on how to purify yourself [in the old times]... but now we live in God's forgiveness. Parts of the law mentioned above are no longer necessary for us to do, but there are other parts of the law that we must continue to follow.
          So somewhere along the road god lost his almightiness and had to resolve to the murder of his own son to please his sick neurotic ego in order to allow some little ants like us to be in his company? How twisted is that? makes no sense at all, after all, to whom did god "sacrifice his only son"?
          It also shows that god has limits and is not "almighty" as Christians claim if he had to resolve to such barbaric methods to entertain himself.

Take a read at Romans Chapters 1 and 2 for more information on what I just wrote.
          I have and I have refuted it beyond the shadow of a doubt in my book "Christianity Exposed"

If this subject matter is too sensitive for this board, I would gladly debate with you on my http://politicsforum.com where my mods will make sure nobody get out of line and keeps the children out of the discussion, as I know there are many young kids on this board.

On the other hand if it can be done here, I'd be more than happy to debate (not argue) this subject with you.

Max

Comment

• Kathy
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by vB3Dev.Com
            I have and I have refuted it beyond the shadow of a doubt in my book "Christianity Exposed"

Max
            Hey Max, I didn't know you were an author.

Is it for sale on Amazon too?
            Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• vB3Dev.Com

Yes. I actually wrote 5 books, "Islam Exposed" "The Book of The Dead" "The Illuminati Manifesto" "Christianity Exposed" and an adult book I shall not mention here. I am also writing "Judaism Exposed" and should be out in a few years.

Comment

• f-a_org
                • Nov 2002

didn't this get locked ?

Comment

• vB3Dev.Com

Are you questioning the wisdom of the mods here?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

I have no pretense of any special wisdom. After consulting with the other Mods I reopened this thread.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Cary
                      • Apr 2002
                      • 3.6.x

I fail to find the humor in your first post, Max, to be honest... Right now I do not have the time to respond to your comments, but I will write a nice reply to your 2nd post in this thread when I have a little bit more time to spare.

Oh... and I'll let you know from now that I will not be reading any of your books, nor will I join any of your boards. (so don't count on it)

Comment

• vB3Dev.Com

Secondly, since I know you are against Christians,
                        I am not against Christians, I am against "christianity" which is an afront to even basic decency and freedoms.
                        So don't take my assault on your religion as a personal attack on you.

I am one who respects every individual, until they step on my toes, and I respect everyone who respects "individual rights" and basic freedoms like freedom of speech etc. Notice that Christianity even restricts freedom of thought, let alone speech. As such, I find religions like Christianity, Judaism, Islam and others to be a direct root of most evil in the world.

Comment

• vB3Dev.Com

I fail to find the humor in your first post, Max, to be honest...
                          I know, most fundamentalists don't either, but you will be surprised how funny it is to so many millions of people
                          If you could step out of your "Christian" shell and look at it from an outsider's point of view it is hillarious. Sort of like Christian jokes and atheist jokes, funny to the other and not to the other.

Comment

• Beorn
                            • May 2002

Max, if I may call you that, you apparently have no idea what is right, and what is wrong. Nor do you have any idea of tact.

It is one thing to attack someone's points and words in a debate. It is a whole other ballgame to insult them and their beliefs. You need not go on saying, "Can some spirit filled Christian please explain to me..." The Bible, as told as when Paul was writing was still being amended. Parts were being added. It has become set in stone (wow...I just realized how part of it is set in stone with the 10 Commandments outside of the Alabama courthouse ) with its expansion (mostly due to the Gutenberg printing press). New parts of it are no longer accepted, because written word is final. Spoken word, as it was kept prior to printing and transcribing by monks could change. Printed word cannot. The Torah, or OT is the Jewish Bible in that Judiasm does not support the idea that Jesus was God's messenger.

It is not ok for anyone to be a hypocrite except Christians, have a look in the mirror.
                            Oh, the irony!

The Muslim Bible is the Qu'ran (or Koran). The Jewish Bible is the OT / Torah (Same thing). The Christian Bible is OT & NT. Overall, the Christian Bible is often referred to as The Bible.

I too will not ever read any of your books, nor join your forums. Why should I engross myself in the views of someone who has no respect for others?

Oh, and guess what religion I practice.

EDIT: Since you posted while I was, I'm adding this:
                            As such, I find religions like Christianity, Judaism, Islam and others to be a direct root of most evil in the world.
                            The direct root of most evil in the world is intolerance of other people's religions.
                            Last edited by Beorn; Sun 7 Sep '03, 4:27pm.

Comment

• vB3Dev.Com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...